PDA

View Full Version : What does the color pink mean to you?

michelle2b
12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
In Western culture, the practice of assigning pink to an individual gender began in the 1920s. From then until the 1940s, pink was considered appropriate for boys because it was the more masculine and decided color while blue was considered appropriate for girls because it was the more delicate and dainty color.

Since the 1940s, the societal norm apparently inverted so that pink became appropriate for girls and blue appropriate for boys, a practice that has continued into the 21st century.

These days there are lots of explanations about the reasons for associating pink with girls. Most of these serve as a justification of the conventions we have followed since the 1940s.

So, what does the color pink mean to you? What articles do you own that are pink in color? How does the color pink make you feel?

I am curious ... :) :battingeyelashes:

Kelly DeWinter
12-16-2008, 12:35 AM
it means well pink !

Karren H
12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
I like pink.... behind black (which isnt really a color but the absence of colors) and white... its my third favorite color... (or second if you don't count black.. lol) kind of maybe tied with plum... plum and pink... yeah.. I don't wear much pink unless I'm enfemme... It really doesn't make me feel anything... I just like the color....

jamie55
12-16-2008, 01:13 AM
pink is just red with some white mixed in

Sammy777
12-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Pink is a color that "regular guys, lol" should not be able to identify & name the differences by using words like: Hot, Baby, Bright, Bubblegum, Fuchsia & Coral.

Did I miss any? lol

trisha11
12-16-2008, 05:47 AM
Pink is one of my favorite girly colors, probably because it makes me feel so much more feminine than other colors, i love other pastel colors but pink is my favorite, i love all shades of pink and most of my panties are pink......
trisha

avril findlay
12-16-2008, 06:07 AM
It was supposed to be "blue for a boy" and "pink for a girl", but it didn't really work out like that for me somehow!

MsPriscilla
12-16-2008, 06:43 AM
I love pink. It expresses my gurliness fully. Love this pink skirt and cape.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=613&pictureid=8104

BeckiB
12-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Pink means you have to buy the big box of crayons

Lesley Ann
12-16-2008, 07:02 AM
I always believed that colour coding for children started in the late Victorian times, around the turn of the last century, mostly by the gentry. But here we are in the 21st century still obeying these silly rules. I have to admit I do like pink evidence my bathroom, my towels and toiletries. I have noticed that pink is becoming popular with male fashion, my son-in-law often wears pink shirts, pink sweaters and I have noticed this colour more and more in recent times on men, and why not! I remember an old saying 'wear pink and make the men wink' I just love the colour.
Lesley Ann.

Marshchild
12-16-2008, 07:40 AM
When I was growing up, I think I regarded pink as something of a "forbidden" colour, which, not surprisingly, ended up giving it quite an allure for me - an allure it has yet to completely lose. Surprisingly, while they didn't really approve of my love of my favourite "femme" colour - silver - and took quite some time to get used to the sight of me wearing it, my parents never seemed to have a problem with me wearing pink, and I remember getting a few items of (boys') clothing in that colour in my late teens and early twenties. One of my favourites was this almost luminescent pink T-shirt put out by a label called, fittingly enough, "Bravado". Although it was a bit of guys' clothing, I figured it was the sort of guys' clothing that had been made for a very special kind of guy (the kind who really wasn't afraid to stand out), so it never felt too boring or mainstream for me. I was a university student at the time I got it, as was a brother of mine, and a lot of his friends christened me "Pinky" because of it.

Of course, I'd also get a bit of femme clothing in pink; indeed, the first piece of women's clothing I ever bought was a pair of pink satin pyjamas from an Australian chain store called Sussan (I've since acquired numerous pairs of pink satin PJs). I've also had quite a few satin shirts made in pink (not only do I know all the shades you mentioned, SamanthaM, I've probably got a shirt in each one too!) - one of my favourites is a frilly formal one that's a positively mouthwatering shade of the above colour.

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I also wear pink shower caps at my place of work (the catering department of an aged care facility) a lot. Sometimes I think this might actually be a good idea from a practical perspective, since I have a lot of interaction with the people I feed, and I've often heard it said that pink's a very calming colour. I tend to find it that way myself - particularly in its lighter shades - but then again, I find blue pretty soothing as well, given its association with things like water, and the fact that it's always been regarded a "cool" colour. (As an interesting bit of trivia, in physics, blue is actually considered a "hot" colour. Blue flames are hotter than orange or yellow ones, for example, while blue stars are much hotter than red ones.)

To give one final reflection on pink, it suddenly struck me that one reason it might be considered a feminine colour these days is that it's often associated with sweetness. Just think of how much candy is pink, for example.

sherib
12-16-2008, 09:14 AM
The color pink means finding the perfect black skirt to go with it. Other than that, its just another color.

Kate Simmons
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
In the ancient art of color therapy pink is associated with healing and blue is associated with peace and tranquility.:)

Michelle 51
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Well i know this will sound weird but in guy mode i really don't care for it but when i start to dress pink can make me feel very femme and i have several soft pink tops that i love.

suzypier
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Pink mean feminine for me. I have shoes, pantyhose, panties, skirt, lipstick and nail polish in pink. And over that I love the color pink.

Jonelle
12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
pink is slowly becoming more and more acceptable for males to wear out in public. 90% of my male attire purchase in the last year or so has some pink on it..

Rachell
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I love pink as you can see, makes me feel sexy, and the bright color is very up lifting when I am feeling a little down. Have lots of pink things. So pink is for me.
Rach

Tomara
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I love the color pink when worn by women I think it is a sexy color on them.
When I wear pink female clothes they make me feel more feminine.
And I also have a couple of male polo shirts in pink and every time I have worn one of them I have received compliments on how good I look or that pink really looks good on me. If they only knew !
The last time I wore one to a restaurant the young waitress ( probably 20) said I looked great and that all men should be comfortable wearing pink. Being 52 years old she made my day !
Tomara

Jennie CD
12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Pink is my favorite color - it makes me feel so women and soft and warm. I have so many pink clothes and sleep in a pink pair of jammies or nighty and have the cutiest pink slippers. In fact have a pair of pink panties on now. GO PINK. :hugs::love: Jennie CD

Ruth
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Pink is just another color. I have some pink things but they are not stand-out garments in my wardrobe. I care more for the styling and tactile feel of my clothes than the color, though having said that I think I prefer stronger colors such as red or purple. Also I have a lot of black (this has the virtue of making you look slimmer, which pink never does).

MonikaW
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Here is an article from the Straight Dope this week that discusses the history of color choice for boys and girls.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls

Sarah Martin
12-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Pink is just a colour...and one that does not suit me. (I look like a hippo acquiring a suntan hippo wearing pink tops).

Coral is the nearest colour to pink that I wear (a tunic).

valenstein
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I like the color combo of pink and brown on me, so I do wear it a bit. Second, it's liberating to choose from colors that guys aren't supposed to wear. Hardly anyone comments these days if a guy wears a pink dress shirt, but I get so many odd looks from wearing pink sneakers...i don't get it.

Marjory
12-19-2008, 07:40 PM
In the 1940's as a 2,3 and 4 YO I wore MaryJanes. In the 1950's I wore double t-strap shoes till I was ~7. My mother used to dress my sister and I in matching outfits me in shorts and my sister in a skirt but we both wore mary janes I was too young to remember. Yes, pink was considered a masculine color up till about 1920 and blue more feminine. I used to wear pink shirts to work.

Tasha McIntyre
12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I love pink, but unfortunately, it doesn't really work for me :2c:.

I tried on a gorgeous pink below the knee dress a couple of weeks ago, wow it felt awesome, but it made me look like a big lolly :sad:

susandrea
12-19-2008, 08:56 PM
The four guys I work with all wear pink shirts and ties. Light pink.

None are gay, and two are even body builder types.

On the other hand, they'd chew glass before wearing a pink suit or even pink socks.

:heehee:

Here are two more interesting articles on the subject:

http://4mind4body.com/blog/?p=65

and

http://www.wayodd.com/prisoners-wear-pink-in-texas-county-jail/v/5446/

TGMarla
12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I admit that I, like most people nowadays in Western culture, equate pink with girls. I think of it totally as a feminine color, and I love wearing it. It may only be brainwashing, but if it is, it worked on me.

Angie G
12-19-2008, 09:14 PM
I have a few pink undies And a pink blouse and to me pink mean girly and pink makes me feel girly.:hugs:
Angie