PDA

View Full Version : I outed myself to a couple of friends...

matrioshka
12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
I lost power for four days during this last ice storm. On Sunday, I stopped by to visit a couple I know. They had a generator running, and still had, gasp, internet service. I asked if I could check on my e-mail, and after doing that, decided to check out another forum I'm on. I have a picture of me there, the one I use as an avatar here.

I called my friend's wife over to have a look.

"Karen, can you guess who this is?"

"Oh my God!" "Paul, come here"

Now my friend comes over.

"Katrina?", he says, kind of lingering over it like a wine taster rolling a sample around his palate.

"Brian, how long have you been doing this?"

I gave the short form of my story, basically that I've been doing this since I was 15 or so. Paul used to work for a publishing company that did small speciality magazines. One of their jobs was a CD magazine called Lady Lyke(?). Both of them were suprised to say the least. The neat thing was that it wasn't that big of a deal. Karen liked how I looked.

There wasn't anything brave about it, I've known them for a few years, and know they are very tolerant people. There's also a method to my madness. Paul is into motorcyles. Vintage bikes, modified ones, think bobbers, Tritons, that sort of thing. He has a bobbed Triumph I want to pose with in the worst way...

I'm really glad I had these photos done. Not only is it fun, but it enables me to explain this to other people. They can see Katrina, not a guy in a dress. They can see what I see.

Katrina

DinaMature
12-16-2008, 11:55 PM
What an inspirational tale. Great stuff.

And a big 'Gratz to you, lady. Good friends can't be beat.

tanyacd
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
yes, that was a nice read.

its too bad being a crossdresser has such a social stigma to it, but then would it be as exciting? probably... hehe

Alana65
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
It's awesome that you have some supportive friends, Katrina. :daydreaming: About that magazine.......I think I may have seen it in the past (but not positive). If I remember correctly, it showed us in a positive light. We could use a magazine like that today.:daydreaming:

Sara Jessica
12-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Very nice reaction, and you conveyed the story in such a neat way that we can imagine we were there during the conversation.

MJ
12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
i agree with everyone very nice read :hugs:

Angie G
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Good for you Katrina I'm glad your friends are OK with it.:hugs:
Angie

Sasha Anne Meadows
12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Lovely story dear. Congrats

lauraabdl
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Great story and glad to hear all went well.
Laura:D

CD Susan
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice story Katrina! I enjoyed reading it and have to say you are fortunate to have such understanding friends. Congratulations on coming out to them.

Wendy me
12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
very cool............

Jeannie
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Great story and how lucky you are to friends like that.

Jeannie

paulaN
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd say you pick good friends. I am glad you survived the ice storm. I missed it by about a fifty miles.

Teri Jean
12-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Katrina, you are lucky and I have done the same with a few and it feels good to be who I am around them. Nice post, huggs. Keli

StacyCD
12-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Although not exactly in the closet, I don't really have any friends that I would feel comfortable coming out to. Glad you have and wish you all the best! Good luck getting the bike for a photo!

Susan.
12-20-2008, 02:46 PM
It is probably the best way to go with some people. I hope it continues to go well.

I have given lots of subtle hints to a GG friend at work, sometimes in person, sometimes in text messages and sometimes in emails. She does not want to pursue that line of chat at all. It is as if I didn't say or write whatever it was. Which is fine, I don't have to tell her, but I do worry that she will mention it to other people.

Suzy Harrison
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Thats wonderful news.

I've told many people now and all of them have been accepting and understanding. I think times are changing.

beenherelongtime
12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
good way to do it. a little at a time.

JoAnne Wheeler
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I am on the verge of confiding in my closest GG friends other than my wife.

You have given me the courage and insiration that I need.

Your Sister,

JoAnne Wheeler

matrioshka
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I am on the verge of confiding in my closest GG friends other than my wife.

You have given me the courage and insiration that I need.

Your Sister,

JoAnne Wheeler

Wow! I hope it goes well for you.

Katrina