PDA

View Full Version : Closet organization......

Karren H
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Ok so I took the day off today and decided to organized my closet... and pitch some thing I don't wear and that are too big for me! No not my dresses... my male closet.... and it didn't take me long to just start pitching a lot..... for goodwill.... but what I did keep... mainly slacks and dress shirts... I organized by color... my entire wardrobe.. including my 30+ ties... all orderly by color from lighter to darker...

ogm.... I'm becoming my mother!! hahaha

Does look really nice though!!! :)

Now I need to do my wifes... Maybe she will let me try on a few things?

So how organized is your male vs your femal closet?

Karren H
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I think I am dislexic at times... and I love ties... all kinds and bright colors!!

lauraabdl
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Good for you and best of luck with SO's closet. As for mine organization would last about five minutes and then chaos. SO believes it goes where it fits mostly in the closet, hung up or not.
Laura:2c:

docrobbysherry
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I've always organised my girl things, the same way as my guy things! Short sleeve shirts here, long sleeve there. Summer here, winter there. But, now I realize that usually doesn't work for my ladies things!:sad:

They need to be organised more by color and style! And I just finished re-organising my ladies room!:doh:
Throwing out a lot of cool ladies things that don't fit me, and that I probably won't have time to alter!

Karren H
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Like she will let me in her closet again!! Here's mine

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/zarren900/wardrobe-1.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/zarren900/ties2.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/zarren900/ties1.jpg

Alana65
12-19-2008, 11:30 AM
So how organized is your male vs your female closet ?

I only have a female closet......my male stuff is in a bureau.

AmandaM
12-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Since I'm into size 14 now, I went through everything! Tossed 1X. Kept some 16's and XL's, cut off the tags of course. :)

The main thing I decided to do was do some streamlining. For instance, why the heck do I need 30 nightgowns. Geez. I haven't worn some in years. So, I went through them, got rid of the old ones that were getting tattered, got rid of ones I didn't really like anyway, etc., etc. Now I have about 10. The ones I wear all the time, long short, etc. and I have more space. Seriously, don't be a packrat. I did the same with my guy clothes.

Carole Cross
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
My closet is so small that most of my clothes are piled up all over my room, disorganized just like the rest of my life. I think its time to get rid of a lot of my male clothes because I dont wear a lot. Any way I will need to get rid of them all eventually so I may as well start now.

2b.Lauren
12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
My closet is shared with my wife, and it is an absolute wreck. She is such a mess. She has so much stuff that she has began to invade my side of the closet. Nothing for her is in order and things are all over the place. The bottom of the closet is a nightmare, with sweaters, and other things all over the floor. My clothes get so wrinkled and messy in the closet because I don't have enough room for them. My handful of girly things live in a bag in the car. I don't have a ton of things couple of skirts, and a pair of slacks, two pair of shoes. She does not know I dress so I am still in covert operation mode. I was laughing at Karren's post on if SO would let her try on somethings. It would never happen in our house my wife is a size 2 damn her, and I am a 22. Atleast I have a 2 in common with her.

Lauren

Angel.Marie76
12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
My SO and I share one longish recessed hanging closet, half for her, half for me which is then split 40/60 Angel/Guy. Organized by color, of course. ;-) I have a tie rack too, in the center, about 20-someodd or so, mostly blackish or dark patterns.

Have an entire bureau of guy stuff too.. Angel's more intimate belongings only take up about a 1/2 drawer. I do have a stack of Yaffa blocks that are starting to be consumed by her wardrobe too, mostly beucase I just have so little room for storage.

Tomara
12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I am a very organized and neat person with pretty much everything in my life , probably OCD or something close to it !
That being said , my clothes , male and female are organized in my closets and dressers.
Things like underwear , socks , and linens are all rotated when they are washed and dried they go on the bottom of there respective pile or place in a drawer , and my feminine things are organized by color too.
OK.... I am starting to scare myself !
I think whether you are organized or in a state of disarray it is all about what makes you happy that is important.
:) Tomara

Lesley Ann
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Before I started dressing seriously, I always complained to my wife about the mess she left in the bedroom, we had two large wardrobes both full to overflowing with her clothes, she would leave piles of clothes on chairs, shoes all over the place, underwear hanging in the bathroom etc., whereas my three suits, three pair of shoes a few shirts and sweaters socks all neatly put away. My wife of forty years died two years ago, although I was dressing it was more of a hobby than a lifestyle. Here I am two years on and my bedroom is exactly like when my wife was alive, only since then I had a floor to ceiling fitted wardrobe fitted which is packed full. I just can't seem to organize Lesley. Is this a 'girl' thing?
Lesley Ann.

DonnaT
12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not an organizer. Both closets are bursting, and definitely have items I've not worn in some time.

One of these days . . .

Lisa Golightly
12-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Only have female clothes and 80% of them are in a pile on the floor :)

CharleneT
12-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Sad but true, I'm in a kinda teenage girl mode of late, so my closet is my floor somedays ! It is not organized. I did spend some time last weekend putting away a lot though, filled a dresser with dresses, skirts, tops etc. Organzied tank/cami's/panties and PJ's. Whew... that was enough for now, this weekend is the rest.

Trying to get into a "20 year old" woman mode....

Alice B
12-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm constantly redoing my section of a large walk in closet and bagging things for varied charities. In the process now. My male things are pretty well placed, but my Alice things are in varied drawers, except my dresses that are hung up. I need to get it together with my female things, but just can't seem to get it together. What's a girl to do?

Maria2222
12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
It doesn't take much to organize tee shirts, jeans, and sweat shirts, but Maria's numerous clothes and shoes are all sorted by color and stored in plastic containers. I have a number of plastic units with drawers for my jewelry also.

nicole123
12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
We have a big walk in closet. On one side my stuff on the other the wife’s.
On my side everything is lined up like this. First set of shelves ties, scarves dress-gloves, dress-socks dress-underwear, dress-t-shirts, jewelry box for watches, cuff links, money clips, ect. Then suits dress-shirts dress-pants, nice-shirts, nice-slacks, then another set of shelves for t-shirts, underwear, sleepwear, sweats and socks, then jeans/workpants, shirts and onto camping, hunting, fishing wear and finally outerwear. Under underneath is a low shelf with shoes and boots lined up according to what is above it. Logical, orderly, makes sense. My fem closet in the attic is the same way. My wife’s side of the closet looks like Macy’s threw up.

kathtx
12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
My guy stuff lives in half of a dresser. It's a number of T-shirts of various bright colors, a few oxford shirts, some hiking shorts and running shorts. I have two pairs of guy's jeans, plus socks, etc. For weddings, funerals, etc, I have a pair of chinos and one pair of men's dress shoes. Finally, a pair each of sandals, walking shoes, and hiking boots. I cull pretty mercilessly, giving to goodwill anything I'm not wearing often.

I'm in guy clothes most of the time, but as I don't need suits or ties or anything like that for work, I can keep the selection minimal.

The other half of the dresser has bras, panties, and slips, again culled mercilessly.

My wife has a dresser for her shirts & tanktops, and has a lingerie chest for -- duh -- her lingerie. She culls rarely, and so tends to lose track of her stuff. It's funny, because she is totally anal-retentive and organized in other matters -- her bookshelves are alphabetized, for instance -- but her clothes are completely disorganized.

Our bedroom has two walk-in closets. Hers has skirts -- she has a ton
of flowing hippie skirts that she mixes and matches with her tanktops -- a few blouses and dresses, a few evening gowns, and a bunch of nightgowns and robes. She's then got a shelf of Birkenstocks, boots, and a few pairs of heels.

My closet has one wall for skirts and blouses, one wall for dresses, evening gowns, nightgowns, and robes. Like her, I've got Birkenstocks, boots, and a few pairs of heels.

Scarves are scattered between the two closets. Most of our jewelry is in her closet. She wears lots of silver in a funky bohemian style. We share jewelry and scarves.

We're different sizes, so we can't share clothes or shoes.

Tasha McIntyre
12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
My wife doesn't like looking at my girly clothes, so I use the wardrobe in the spare bedroom!

beenherelongtime
12-19-2008, 08:52 PM
i used to have that problem. when i was dressing as often as i could, i had many more femme clothes than male. took better care of them than male clothes. had a hard time purging. but had to when i retired.

Sarah Martin
12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Too much female stuff..overflowing everywhere. Not helped by having a 'high maintenance' wife who buys clothes every month and fills more than her share of the closet/cupboards!

So female stuff untidy, male stuff only tidy because there is less of it!

CD Susan
12-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Wow Karren, 30+ ties? You really should seek some therapy for this problem you have. You must have a fetish about ties! I keep a very organized closet(s). My girl things out number my guy things by about 10 to 1. I am very meticulous about being organised and it is reflected in how I keep my fem things stored. I could not live any other way. I am a neat freak!

StephanieT
12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I didn't know working in the Coal Mine required ties. So now we have seen you male closet. Where is your female closet?

Sammy777
12-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I organized by color... my entire wardrobe.. including my 30+ ties... all orderly by color from lighter to darker...

I am guilty of the same thing, lol.

Sarah...
12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
My closet? Organised. "His" closet? Dog's breakfast.

His closet has to go. It's an abomination!

Sarah...

TxKimberly
12-20-2008, 04:26 PM
30 Ties? Holy smokes! The last time I wore a tie was to my job interview about 14 years ago.

Teri Jean
12-20-2008, 04:28 PM
House work(?), why does it seem so right when I'm dressed but when I'm not I fall into the bachlor/male routine? Maybe I should dress more,Hahahaha, I would get more organized. My closet is female on the right (2/3rds) and male on the left. Hmmmmmmm, does that say something(?)........... oh well. Huggs and have a great Christmas. Keli

Karren H
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
See I'm the opposite... when I dress up there's no friggin way I'm going to work!! Break out the bonbons... :)

Kristen Marie
12-20-2008, 08:01 PM
My guy closet at home is relatively neat, with my polos and dressed shirts arranged by color. But at Tiffany Club where my girl clothes are I have limited space so I can't array it the way I would like,but....I went through everything last week and donated 1/3 of the things in it to other aspiring TGirls in the club. I think I have about a dozen different outfits I can wear out quite comfortably. And realistically, that's all I need....not all I want...but all I need.

Cary
12-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I just worked on my closet today. I liked what I saw. I have more femm clothes and shoes than I thought I had. My femm side of the closet has overtaken most of the closet(65/35).

Cary

kathtx
12-21-2008, 12:58 AM
30 Ties? Holy smokes! The last time I wore a tie was to my job interview about 14 years ago.

Hear, hear! It's well known that ties cut off blood flow to the brain :)

I've worn ties only when part of a formal wedding party. Job interviews, I do in jeans and a nice shirt. In my younger days, I did a few job interviews in jeans & tie-dye shirts... got my first faculty job that way. As my wife puts it, "when you're a mathematician, the bar is so low that they're impressed if you remember your pants." :)

Funny thing is, were I to transition, I *would* dress up more for interviews, presentations, and such. A nice skirt & blouse, low heels, light makeup.

JoAnne Wheeler
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Karren, (my idol)

I organized my male closet back in the summer - but what really counts is JoAnne's closet room - JoAnne has her own room - with many closets - a sink - make-up mirrors - build in cabinets - I planned all of this when we built our house 25 years ago.

Even though I built JoAnne her own room, we (JoAnne & I) went through the "Great Purge of 95" which was traumatic to say the least.

JoAnne is now in the process of reclaiming her room and restocking it with her things - there will never ever be another "purge".

Love,

JoAnne Wheeler

Cristi
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
My 'guy' closet isn't much bigger than yours. The only organization is that in the Summer, my short sleeve dress shirts go into a downstairs closet closer to where I am when dressing for the day, and in the Winter I swap them for the long sleeve ones.

You have more white shirts than I do... Most of my dress shirts are darker solid primary colors. Reds, blues, greens, some brown or tan... I really dislike spending a ton of money on ties, so I pretty much have just enough to match each shirt. :)

Laura Jane
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I have my mother coming to stay (for 2 weeks or so) so I have had to disorganise my closet big time!

As she needs the double bed, I've had to clear much of my stuff from the large closets in the main bedroom and fit the male stuff I need the small wardrobe in the spare room! A lot of my female stuff has gone in Canvas zip up bags and been covered over by Jumpers and Jeans. The rest is off to storage including all my shoes.

I now realise where all my spare cash has gone over the last 3 or 4 years.

But its been fun rediscovering stuff I bought and put away, some of it even fits now!

KarenS
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
... I organized by color... my entire wardrobe.. including my 30+ ties... all orderly by color from lighter to darker...

I've heard lots of women have a fetish for guys with ties.

My fem clothing is folded and aranegd neatly in plastic containers under the bed - out of sight.

Jennifer Giovannetta
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Up to last night my closet was very disorganized. I divided the closet into two sides. On one side male clothing. Other side Jennifers blouses and dress slacks. Organized all of my shoes and misc. stuff. Closet looks so much better.