PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Depressed

StephanieT
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I am currently snowed in at my home in Washington State. I am also alone which would normally provide a perfect opportunity to spend a lot of time dressed. The only problem is I am feeling depressed being snowed in and the reality is, I am starting to realize I will probably be at home alone for Christmas. My entire family is in Colorado. I am trying to cheer myself up by giving myself a pedicure and doing a little dressing but it isn't working. Right now I feel like a guy dressing as a very ugly woman. I hope this ends soon. Thanks for listening
Steph

ColleenW
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions but sometimes just listening can help.

Shiny
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Same here too, and my car doesn't work due to the cold!! And I ain't goin' out to work on it with -40 below wind chill either!

I live alone and will probably spend this Christmas alone again as I have done for the past couple of years. No big deal!

It sounds like you have a bit of "cabin fever"!! Try imbibing a few of your favorite drinks on your next dressing session, maybe toss on some holiday music too! Cheer up and Cheers!

trannie T
12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
There was an article in today's paper about Seasonal Affective Disorder. One of the reccomendations was to get half an hour to an hour of sunshine everyday. Unless the climate has changed dramatically you will not have an hours sunshine in SW Washington between now and sometime in April.
Don't drink too much this season. don't eat too much, try to be positive. Get as much light as you can, you're not going to get much sun light but turn the lamps up. This is a miserable time of year for many of us, be strong and keep hoping for some nice weather.

Karren H
12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
There was an article in today's paper about Seasonal Affective Disorder. One of the reccomendations was to get half an hour to an hour of sunshine everyday. Unless the climate has changed dramatically you will not have an hours sunshine in SW Washington between now and sometime in April.

We don't get sun in SW PA.... and my wife has that!! She hibernates in a bad mood during winter months... Bought her a bunch of full spectrem lights and she's much better if she spends 3 or 4 hours a day in front of them... just not at night... throws of sleep patterns too..

StephanieT
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
I am normally not affected by the lack of sun. Most of my problems are just being stuck here. Flights are not going out of the Portland Oregon Airport and I am stuck. I came back to WA in order to make sure we had power and the house did not totally freeze up. Over 40,000 homes in the area lost power in the past day. Luckily I am not one of those that lost power. I had to clear a 1/4" of ice off my 4wd pickup today from freezing rain last night in order to go to town. Then it was 20mph for 7 miles into town. My wife is spending time with family right now and I am here. The holidays are supposed to be fun but this is not fun. I told my wife tonight that hell must have frozen over since I am living in a freezing hell right now.

susanCD123
12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Wish I were spending Christmas with you and all the others that have posted on this. Merry Christmas, you know I would give you lingerie. :hugs::love::daydreaming:

Cary
12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
After reading this thread, I feel a little stupid. I have been spending most of this holiday season trying to get away from my loved ones. Sorry to hear you're by yourself. I hope things change soon.

Cary

CD Susan
12-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Stephanie, I am sorry to hear that you are snowed in out there in Washington. At least you are safe and staying warm. Keep in touch with your family in Colorado and us here on the forum too. We will do our best to cheer you up.

Celeste
12-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Stephanie,I have some suggestions,what about start with a nice bubble bath with some bathbeads in it or oil will work too.Get some candles going and make the water hot,maybe bring your favorite beverage or drink in there with you and a good book or something to write with.Once your settled in you can make a list of what you will do until the holiday is over.Some ideas would be,tackling all those odd jobs you never can ordinarily get to,internet shopping,cooking,reading,watching sports on TV or having a neighbor over to join you,calling friends,hobbies,creative projects on line,and whatever else you can add to your list.If you do this ,you will have a guide to go by for next few days ,I will probably be away from family also and will need to reach for my boredom breaking tools as well.

sandra-leigh
12-22-2008, 12:36 AM
One good thing about this part of the Prairies (Central Canada) is that we do get a lot of sun in the winter, once we get past the transition between autumn and winter. Not every day, though, so I bought a 3 foot T5 fluorescent plant light (http://www.betterthannature.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_77/products_id/737) (complete with fixture and cord) and put it behind my monitor at work, where it is just in my peripheral vision.

Still, the cold and overcast we have had lately have me down somewhat... and of course the usual holiday tensions. What do you buy for nieces / nephews you barely know? What do you buy for siblings that need things that no-one can give? What do you buy for parents that have pretty much everything material they need and who are trying to "de-clutter" -- and who have a long list of allergies besides? What do you buy for a wife who tends to order at whim? (And no, I really do not see the point of buying a $160 tea pot to add the collection of other unused tea-pots.) And so on.

With my mother-in-law now living here, I've been getting to Dress once a month, and having to rush that (e.g., minimal makeup, no chance to practice anything.) At least I still have my under-dressing!

It's hard to say what is "cause" and what is "effect" in my life. About all I can do is judge by ambiguous facts: e.g., that my facial hair seems to be growing faster and thicker these days (suggesting perhaps more testosterone.) A side effect of the medication, maybe??

sissystephanie
12-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Stephanie from another older Stephanie!

Sorry about being stuck there in Washington. I grew up in Portland and also lived in Seattle for 15 years before moving to Georgia in 1983. So I know what it is like there. BTW, my wife and I once drove from Seattle to Spokane during a blizzard! It took us 14 1/2 hours to drive what should have been a 4 hour trip at the most. Crank up your 4 wheel drive truck and go to Colorado! At least they plow the roads!

At least you have a wife to talk to! I lost mine 3 years ago and it still hurts, especially at this time of the year. I do have wonderful children, but I live alone (by choice) and it is still lonely. So I feel your pain!! Just remember, as others have said on this thread, we are here for you! BTW, you are Not a guy dressed as an ugly woman!! You are a good looking woman!

StephanieT
12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I wish it was as easy as driving to Colorado. All roads (I-84 and SR14) east of Portland are closed do to blizzard conditions and Icy roads. I will try and make the best of the situation and you will probably be seeing more of me on the forum in the next few days.

Christine1953
12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I sorry to here your depressed. I did not have a good week end . My wife came home from taking my mother on some erands and was very upset with the demands my 84 year mother put on here. I felt very sorry for her and things got better in the afternoon and then i hit with my cd again after telling her i stopped a year ago. She went ballistic. Was not good timing. I didn't tell how far i was going, just the panyhose thing a couple of times, things got better adn we made love on sunday. Time to back off. I should of read marla's post and and read more post. New member.

Toni_Lynn
12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Stephanie

I like the ideas that Trannie T and Celeste made. Be good to the girl that you are. Even if you can't get out, make it a stay at home spa day!

And just to be sure, you are not ugly, and you so much much more than just a guy dressing as am ugly woman. You are beautiful because you care, about family, and about the season.

Be good to yourself. We all care about you

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

almalove
12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
hang on I my self go throug that now and then, even thooug I live in a good and loving community and have good friends and family around, Alma is alone must of the time, if you like to talk drop me a PM or IM.

Alma

StephanieT
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Today has been a better day. Did my fingernails this morning, showered and shaved put on some makeup, dressed and went out. I was going to go to Dress Barn shopping but it was closed. I went for a drive and stopped in Sally Beauty for some supplies. Then I came home. I am still dressed and enjoying myself. Hopefully I will be on a flight tomorrow back to Colorado. That is if the plane comes here first.

charlie
12-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Hello Steph!
Get up and get moving! This is no time to sit and think about the family that is not there or the things you are missing! Get your warmest woman's tunic on, that long skirt you like and plenty of makeup. Then get out to a tri-ess meeting, nightclub or gay bar. Make some friends, get out and about and do it as long as you are having fun! Getting ready in a new outfit each night, looking forward to going out and meeting people will get you out of your funk, make the time fly and put a grin on your face girl!

Angie G
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry Steph I know is hard not being with family this time of year. You can PM me for a chat if you wish it may help hun.:hugs:
Angie

StephanieT
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Now I have great news. Flights are getting out of the airport and I am booked and checked in for my flight at 11AM tomorrow. I am going to be with my family at Christmas. Yea:cheer:

Alice Torn
12-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Steph, Winter is mostly the pits, for me, too, now work, for five months. But, its not just here in the northwest! The whole blasted continent is bitter cold. Oh, i almost forgot- its GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melinda G
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
I've spent many christmas's alone since my last relationship ended a few years ago. And it is by choice. My family is scattered and out of town. And I refuse to get caught up in the holiday travel nightmare. But look at it as an opportunity. Put up a Christmas tree, for a little cheer. Do it for yourself. Light some candles. Get some snacks, shrimp, meatballs, cheese, veggies, etc. Get a video. Put on some christmas music and hop in the tub, and shave all over. Then get dressed in something sexy, and have a party all by yourself.
Last year, I got all dressed up, and went out for a walk around the neighborhood Christmas Eve, just enjoying the walk, and the christmas lights. Then I came home, and had some snacks and some wine. A really nice evening, all by myself. Prolly won't go for the walk this year. There's 14 inches of global warming on the sidewalks this year, and half the sidewalks aren't shoveled. But I'll still have a party all by myself. There's a couple women I could invite over, but to tell you the truth, I enjoy being alone!

StephanieT
12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
There's 14 inches of global warming on the sidewalks this year!

Yes Global Warming seems to be an issue everywhere this year? Must be all the gasoline we are not buying! I am looking at 10 inches of snow outside with another 8 predicted on Wed. Al Gore needs to re-write the documentary.

Alice Torn
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Melinda, I agree. I've been alone, for so long, other than renting rooms, with others, that I don't know, anymore, what it would be like to not be alone. Thank God for cats, or dogs, or birds! When I realize now, how much energy, and work, and heartbreak relationships are, I am not so quick, to try to get into one. I like being alone now, too, but, it would be nice to date once in a great while.

docrobbysherry
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Stephanie, I read you're meeting your family tomorrow. Congrats on finding holiday happiness!

I said, "neighbor", because we almost moved to Wash. 12 years ago. Doesn't matter. Your weather has come to Calif!:doh: Please come down here and take it home with U when U have time! Thank u!:thumbsup:

StephanieT
12-23-2008, 01:06 AM
I was in OC last week. We went to the Crystal Cathedral for the Glory of Christmas on Wed and the weather was miserable. On Thursday we went to Disneyland. The weather was much better on Thurs. I am happy to share our current global warming with everyone. Please take my weather to the OC.

JoAnne Wheeler
12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
My depression at this specific time is that because of all the relatives and friends that will be visiting our house, I CAN'T GET ENOUGH DRESSING TIME !!!! Oh, well, they will be gone in about a week - I hope I can hold on to my sanity that long.

JoAnne Wheeler

Christine1953
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
To stehpanie: I'm sorry that i went on about myself yesterday. I hope you have a great xmas.

I'm new to this forum stuff. Could somebody tell me if i have something to talk about or need to know, what to do. Do i start a new post?

islandgirl
12-23-2008, 05:27 PM
We are far apart but I want to give you a warm and heartfelt cyber-hug. Please know you have friends you are not aware of and I hope your holidays can be happy for you.
Love, Kris

amanda w
12-23-2008, 05:57 PM
steph i am allso snowed in about 30 miles s.w. of portland but cannot dress to many family menters snowed in with me but the weather will be geting better inside and out soon i hope have a good holday