PDA

View Full Version : Came dangerously close to getting my shaved legs noticed

Daniel
06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Just now, my parents noticed poison ivy on my legs. That they commented on that and NOT the shaving is unbelievable. As of right now, I think I came within a gnat's eyelash of them noticing the shaving. And the whole time I was panicking. This tells me I will probably panic and freeze up over any comment about the shaving, no matter how innocent and calm the comment is. I might even panic over a compliment!!

Why panic? Because at least 90% of why I shave is the crossdressing. Therefore, that is the very first thing that comes to mind, by a LONG shot, if someone were to ask me why. About 5% of it is to keep cool in the summer - I did find that it slightly improves my heat tolerance - and 2% is because I have almost no chest hair, and am not sure if hairy legs and a hairless chest go together. It's only 2% because I rarely have my shirt off these days.

Maybe what I should do is this: Because I consider my mother far less of a threat than my father, I should talk to my mother in private and point out my shaved legs to her. This will "get it over with" and also enable my mother to tell my father to drop it if he starts going on too long. Sure, this might make it a bigger deal than it has to be, but without doing so I could be wondering and waiting all summer!!!

I won't yet, since I want to hear what you think.

StephanieCD
06-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Woooooooooo... it's a tough call. I don't shave in the summer because in my opinion those non-CD explanations are as see-through as half of my undies ;) I'd be afraid of people forming their own opinions... but with parents - it's a different situation all together. You know them, hun. Your call, really. My comment would be that they probably won't buy the heat or matching chest thing... the closest I've found to a real excuse is bicycling. I even got a bike so I could start - but have been watching cyclists and the only ones with shaved legs are the hardcore ones.. if you got into a sport you could do the athlete excuse... other than that - it sounds like you're living in fear. Either change (for now) or find a way to talk to them. It's a tough thing to hide your legs ALL summer... when you live with them. Seriously.

hifi5
06-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I would go for the cycling. I live in Arizona and it is hot here all the time. shaving or not shaving doesn't seem to keep me any cooler. But I stay in shape by being a triathlete and this give me a good reason to shave my legs. And for big races, a lot of us shave our chest and arms too. Around here a lot of younger guys that are into mountain biking and they keep there arms shaved just in case of a crash, and it now seems to be the thing to do for the ones that go to the dance clubs. If your young, just say it's the thing they guys are doing now, it's only a phase your going through. They should understand. Otherwise get a bike and get those legs in great shape, they will look great in nylons.

Wenda
06-09-2005, 07:16 PM
check some earlier threads. The consensus is that most people don't notice, and 90% of the ones that notice, don't care. On the flip side, I was visiting with a friend outside a grocery store yesterday, when a guy walked by in his sleevless undershirt. He had hair on his upper arms and upper back that could be combed!!! IT WAS HORRID!!! Don't apolgize for being hairless. Being a hairy human is really unattractive! wenda. (shave every second day)

Priscilla1018
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I do have a sport,body building.I have also reached a point in my life where I really don't care if anyone notices.I'm growing my hair out and also wear French perfume daily,I pluck my eye brows.No one has ever said a thing about it,they can think all they want.I have noticed more of the Female body builders talking to me and asking me to spot them on a heavy lift.Kindred spirits.

ronna
06-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I've never had really hairy legs, but you sure do notice it when they're shaved. It might be hard to explain but so far I haven't had to...
hope you get over your poison ivy, Daniel

Rayna
06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok.. here's my approach to the whole shaved legs thing..

someone says something about your legs being shaved...
just tell them.

"yes, they are... i dont really like body hair, is that a problem?"

and if they have a problem ask them if they enjoy looking like an ape/orangutan/gorilla

paulaN
06-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Me too, the other day my daughter said to me dad don't pull your socks up like that keep them down. she never said a word about my shaved legs. wow that was a close one. not sure if I should keep them shaved all summer or not. I so love them shaved and I don't care what other people think, but I do care about my little girl. she's 18 but still my little girl. oh hum what's a gurl to do.

Daniel
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Here's a possible conversation with another guy:

Guy: "Hey, did you shave your legs?"
Me: "Yep. I don't like body hair. Is that a problem?"
Guy: "YES. It is a problem. Guys are supposed to have body hair!"
Me: "Do you enjoy looking like an ape?"
Guy: "Well, do YOU enjoy looking like a GIRL?"
Me: "Well... DO YOU ENJOY LOOKING AT GUYS' LEGS???"

HeatherD
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Also agree. I have spent every summer up to this one natural. This year decided to heck with it - going to shave all summer long. Guess am reaching the point in life where I really don't care what some uptight people might think. Thus far, I haven't noticed anyone aware of my shaven condition, and wear shorts most of the time. Someone told me once most people don't care or notice. I am beginning to believe that.

Daniel
06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I guess it depends on what most people will do about what they think. If someone thinks I'm gay for shaving my legs, but never breathes a word about it to anyone, then that someone can think I'm gay. So...

90% of people won't notice.
90% of those who do notice won't care enough to comment. I won't even know they noticed! For all my know, my parents could have noticed!!
90% of those who do comment will let me brush it off. Maybe half of those who comment will think bad of it, but 80% of those won't think strongly enough to deny me the right to brush it off.
And 90% of those who do go on and on about it will be people I absolutely do not want to be friends with anyway, so I do not need to dignify their comments. I can safely IGNORE them.

And that last 0.01% who could have been friends... I'm not sure I'm going to meet 10,000 people over the course of my lifetime, so if I'm REALLY unlucky it's maybe one friend lost.

What I am worried about, though, is that 0.1% who go on and on spreading it to the other 99.9% until it's all over town.

Kimberly
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Here's a possible conversation with another guy:

Guy: "Hey, did you shave your legs?"
Me: "Yep. I don't like body hair. Is that a problem?"
Guy: "YES. It is a problem. Guys are supposed to have body hair!"
Me: "Do you enjoy looking like an ape?"
Me: "Well... DO YOU ENJOY LOOKING AT GUYS' LEGS???"
Try:

Me: "Yes. How about you?"

:Power:

Jenny Beth
06-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I had always been one who shaved only in the winter months. Last spring I just could not bring myself to let it grow back again so here I am heading into my second hairless summer. I doubt I will let it grow back.

Cathy
06-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I keep my legs shaved year round. I have done this for over 10 years. In the summer I always have shorts on. I have never had one person ever say anything. If they do my line is I don't like hairy legs. Like you I have no chest hair so to me no hair all the way. Good luck. I would not worry about your parents. They are the one group you know loves you.

gender_blender
06-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Lots of guys shave their legs for various reasons: faster swimming, more aerodynamic on a bike, looking nice in a dress/skirt... :)

Charlie

JoAnnDallas
06-10-2005, 10:24 PM
I knew a GM that like to mountian climb a lot. He shaved his legs because his leg hair work get caught in small cracks and when he would move, it would get pulled out. Also pro divers also shave their legs because of getting in and out of a wet suit.

mariej
06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Only this very evening I thought I heard someone trying to break into a house down the street and called the cops. A woman officer knocked at the door and asked if Iwas the person who had called it in.I gave her the details and she left. I then realised that I had been standing there with my mans robe on revealing freshly shaved legs and scarlet red painted toe nails!!!
Que sera sera!!
L&P
Mariej
xx