PDA

View Full Version : Who's out! poll

Samantha Kelsey
12-25-2008, 07:09 AM
In many threads we see that lots of our community are closeted while others are fully out with many in betweeners. I'd be interested to know the percentages of each.

In the poll are just four questions, choose carefully,

1. I'm closeted ie no one else knows (at least you hope so)
2. Only my SO knows.
3. My SO doesn't know but others do
3. I'm out my SO and others know

Gisele
12-25-2008, 07:33 AM
My SO knows and a few of our friends and some of her co workers know. Our family does not know nor do my co workers.

I would love for some of my family to know. Soon I hope to tell my mother.

LACD
12-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Only my Dear Wife knows. I came out fully to her 3 years ago and we have been doing real well. No other family or friends know. I don't go out even though I would love to.

Angie G
12-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Only my wife knows but others have seen Angie the past 3 Halloween.:hugs:
Angie

Mollyanne
12-25-2008, 08:17 AM
My wife knows and is NOT happy with it!!!!!:eek: I have tried to explain my need(s) to do this and my inner most feelings concerning my feminine side but I am being met with negativity and very strong negativity at that.:sad: Sooooo to that end I am very much in the closet so far in fact that the hangers are stabbing me in the face. Oh well, maybe some day :daydreaming:

:love: Mollyanne

Suzy Harrison
12-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm out to quite a few (24) - In about 6 months time there will be about 200 customers and other employees of the company I work for who will also be told.

Nadia-Maria
12-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I chose the option : "only my SO knows", because this one was rather close to my situation, and as no better choice was proposed for me in the poll.

I do consider myself somewhat out of the closet, although most of my family, neighbours and friends do not know (except SO and SO's daughter).

Being out is essentially a matter of personal feeling I mean. It's not a matter of how many people do know. I enjoy being private. I dress about as I want, and I go out dressed (femme or semifemme) exactly as I want, and my preference is not to be known by most people in my surroundings. I don't disclose that much about me (whether about dressing or not). I only will tell real friends about me, and real friends are quite rare.

Fear is not what drives me, personal choice is.

Gizmo, Debbie
12-25-2008, 09:14 AM
that's another vote for i'm out.

Mary Jane
12-25-2008, 09:18 AM
My wife knows, one female and one male friend.

Lanore
12-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I have been out for a long, long time and have no plans of going back. I believe what makes it easy for me is that I am single and love it. I have lots of lady friends who like me just the way I am.

Anna the Dub
12-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Everyone I know, knows about me. Some react good, some don't (some of the family mainly). I don't care, this is who I am.

Tomara
12-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I don`t consider myself in the closet , but my therapist is the only person I have told about my cross dressing , she is helping me to explore my feelings and concerns.
And then there are all of the people on this forum with who I have shared my feelings and opinions .
I am some where in between , but I am pretty comfortable with myself and where I am with cross dressing and that is what is most important to me.
Tomara

SweetCaroline
12-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I consider myself fully out in that, everyone who needs to know, knows, such as my closest family (except my young nephews) and friends, and they know that I've been going out and making friends with other crossdressers. That and I go out in public with out fear of beeing noticed or recognized.

There are still quite a large number of people who don't now about "Caroline". My boss and co-workers, Aunts, Uncles and cousins, and the people who I casually deal with on a day to day basis such as bank tellers and clerks where I regularly shop, BUT I don't worry or care if they do find out. In fact I wouldn't mind it at all. Most people I know probally would not be surprised to find out I identify as Transgendered, and I'm ready to explain to anyone who has any questions.

I suppose I'm pretty ambiguous looking as a guy already, so there was never really much of a closet for me to begin with.

avril findlay
12-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't have a SO at the moment but I've been out to my family and friends for a long time. They've all known Avril for many years.

Ashley_1962
12-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I think we need another voting option.

My SO knows and a few 'select' friends. None of my immediate family, my 'male' friends or anyone from work know.. although that may change in the New Year.. :)

Helen 2
12-25-2008, 10:49 AM
My SO knows, but with our 'dont ask, dont tell [when you are dressing and going out]' arrangement, she doesn't exactly know, so.....I guess my preferred choice would be 'SO and a few others know', but SO doesn't participate'.

The 'few others' are some great friends from the Portland gay/lesbian community who I was close to for years before I outed myself to them. They became better friends, and the GG in particular was instrumental for me getting up enough courage and self-confidence to leave my house and go out on the street.

In fact, my first street outing in 25 years was with her accompanying me....we had a ball....

Samantha Kelsey
12-26-2008, 03:54 AM
If you feel there isn't a category exactly for you then you can vote in the category which you believe you fit nearest to.
Thanks for the votes girls, we seem to be getting a distinct pattern already. Keep voting, please.

Carole Cross
12-26-2008, 04:30 AM
I don't have an SO atm and I have not told anyone else about me yet. I am, hopefully, gonig to a local tg group New Years Eve party and they will be the first to meet me en femme and it will also be my first time out!:)
As for my family, I may have to tell them this year so hopefuuly they will accept my decision, otherwise I'll be on my own.:sad:

Tasha McIntyre
12-26-2008, 05:29 AM
My wife is the only one who knows. She had a go at trying to accept but that didn't really work for her. She understands Tash ain't going away so it's the old don't ask / don't tell situation.

I am way too chicken (at the min anyway) to go out in public!

audrey-lynn
12-26-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm out only to my wife. However I do go out fully dressed ,so their are many who have seen Audrey but don't know who she really is.

JoAnne Wheeler
12-26-2008, 11:32 AM
My Spouse knows for sure. I think a lot of my fellow office workers suspect because of all the UPS deliveries that I get.
JoAnne Wheeler

Fionax
12-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm just like JoAnne: after 40 years of marriage the odd dropped varnished finger nail, rearranged dressing table items and in the early days postal deliveries from women's stores have laid a trail of clues. Nothing ever would make a declaration of my CDing wise or accepable; I never asked how my wife lost her virginity, that's her secret and Fiona shares hers with me and no one else

Fi

Carly D.
12-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm way DEEP ... DEEEEEP in the closet, behind that old football that doesn't hold air anymore and the teddy bear that you dressed up in girly clothes when you were younger... yikes, I don't need help, do I???

Jocelyn Quivers
12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Wife and few select family members know. My wife is currently the only person who has seen me dressed in person.

MJ
12-26-2008, 06:34 PM
everyone who knows me have been accepting apart from the ex

TSchapes
12-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Most of the people I care about know. Both parents knew before they died. I believe at least 30 people at work know. Currently my position is: I don't feel I have to tell everyone, but I don't have to hide it either. A lot of people don't care one way or another about cross-dressing and don't want to know about it, so I don't push it.

-Tracy

tanyalynn51
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Im so far in the closet that they pump air to me, but I think a lesbian friend of mine may know- Im thinking of talking to her.

Rita D
12-26-2008, 07:06 PM
My Wife, children, and a few select friends know.

Paula G
12-26-2008, 07:12 PM
The only people who know about me is my wife and my old therapist. Right now no one else needs to know.

CD Susan
12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I did not vote in this poll because none of the options apply to me. I happen to be single and unattached and prefer it that way so I do not have an SO. Why do so many people such as yourself have to put so much emphasis on or have assumptions that we all have a wife or SO to deal with our cd'ing? There just happens to be many of us that are single and unattached and feel alienated when reading so many posts such as this one that assume we all are married or are living with another person who we feel we must keep this deep and dark secret about ourselves from? You are not looking at things from a perspective that includes all of us here on this site.

Janie Gunn
12-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I dont have an SO, but over the last six weeks I've come out to alot of people. During November when I was going out to the Feast Festival I was quite guarded about who I would tell outside of that scene, but just in the last couple of weeks, I've been freely telling people that I originally had no intention of telling. Many havent seen Janie yet but just know, and some are keen to see. I've only had one of my pub friends react in a bit of a strange way, most are more accepting than I imagined they'd be. The biggest thing for me has been coming out to my closest cousin and his wife and children.

Janie

Tomara
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I did not vote in this poll because none of the options apply to me. I happen to be single and unattached and prefer it that way so I do not have an SO. Why do so many people such as yourself have to put so much emphasis on or have assumptions that we all have a wife or SO to deal with our cd'ing? There just happens to be many of us that are single and unattached and feel alienated when reading so many posts such as this one that assume we all are married or are living with another person who we feel we must keep this deep and dark secret about ourselves from? You are not looking at things from a perspective that includes all of us here on this site.

Well said and I agree with you !

Tomara

StaceyJane
12-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I am fully out to both of my dogs. :)

Cari
12-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Dont have an So
But outside the CD community some friends and family know maybe 20 total.
Not even close to completely out but not really hiding either.

Cari

Jenniferpl
12-27-2008, 06:08 AM
my wife know and is very supportive. That is all that matters to me. And of course the dogs have known for years.

Elaine Lynn
12-27-2008, 06:22 AM
My wife has known since a month into our marriage that was 32 years ago. I have gone to a few halloween parties fully dressed with the same people there every year so I sometime wonder if they might have an idea about Elaine too.

Jennifer Marie P.
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Most of my friends know and all of my GG friends know and usally they buy me clothes and sometimes do a makeover for me and some of them are jeaulous that I look better then them.

Nicki B
12-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Voted the third option. :sad:

I'm unable to make it the last, because my partner is physically not able to have the conversation - I would, if she could, our relationship was always one that shared everything.

Leanne2
12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree with Ashley1962. My wife knows and a select few other people know. My wife doesn't like to see me in feminine clothing so we use the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" plan. My wife is scared to death that I will be outed in our small bible belt town. Then we would have to move. I would just come fully out but I understand my wife's fears so I'm very careful.
I go to a salon in another town to get my hair done. They think it is great that I like to be pretty. The elderly neighbor lady that I take care of also knows and doesn't care. It helps that I can pass most of the time. Leanne

Tracii G
12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm out to maybe 10 people total nobody I work with.
My old friends don't know but lots of new ones do.

joann07
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm not married nor have a GF or SO, but I am out and go pretty much anywhere.
I have a number of friends and one relative who know that I dress.
They're all very supportive.

Hugs!

amanda w
12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I am out
my wife,2 kids and neice has know for a long time but on the 25 of this year everyone knows I think it was the dress I had on for christmas that tip them off. was A very good day.

Jilmac
12-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I started coming out after my wife passed away in 2007. Since then I have a new SO who knows all about Jill and is very encouraging. I haven't come out to my kids or siblings yet but I have quite a number of friends who know Jill and don't have a problem with her. I'm taking baby steps in telling my family (especially my sons) because I don't want to cause any hard feelings. I have also come out completely to my cats. TeeHee:heehee:

NewDresser
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I am totally in the closet about it but I would not be opposed to telling a SO if I had one, and if I thought I could do it without being noticed I would probably go out.

Lisa Pomeroy
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm only a month into CD, so the only people I have told so far are a lesbian friend all the way across the country (she and her partner, whom I have never met, sent me a makeup kit...it was very sweet of them) and a therapist I had been seeing from time to time. The therapist was actually a little weird about it...I want to start a thread about that.

On Wednesday morning I'm having coffee with a dear gg friend of six years, and I'm planning to tell her. I feel like I need someone close by who knows, just in case I maybe need help some day and don't want to have to explain it all to the person I'm asking for help...or something. Or maybe I just want the thrill of saying face to face to someone, "I'm a crossdresser." Or both. I don't like hiding my new facet, even at this early stage. I feel like I'm deceiving people. I guess I am. Hmm....

Janie Gunn
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I couldnt keep it in me for too long, before I started telling people. If I speak to a relative, it generally comes out during the course of the conversation and it doesnt bother me what they might think because most of my relatives, I couldnt be any more isolated from anyways. My mother didnt really want to look at me when I visited her and I couldnt really tell if it was her usual stubborn crap or if there might have been a purpose to it, she's got dementure, but many years ago when I strutted about in a skirt in the kitchen, she didnt have a problem with it, its just now its too late for her to be able to understand the extent of it, what it really means.
But its become quite easy for me to tell most people now.

Janie

Sandra Dunn
12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm out and I'm stretching the boundries.

HUGS Sandra

KarenS
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I voted that "only my SO knows". But, I don't think she sees my alter ego as a CD. She has seen me dressed on numerous occasions. I have revealed myself only a couple other times to people that wouldn't know me if they saw me again.

pennylee
12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
one of my girls had too much in her glass and told everyone at the bar last halloween. its a small town.

/

Intertwined
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
My wife and daughter know, both dogs have seen me dressed. None of my other family know.

At least 2 co-workers know, through me just out right telling them, and one seeing Dobby on several occations. And im sure if 2 know, through word of mouth, more do.

I do most of our grocery shopping dressed, to be honest tho, I do not think any of my neighbors know.

And the great friends I have made on this board know.

Vivian Chen
12-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Most people know. I told them and showed them pictures. My SO knows but does not want me to dress when she is around, which is perfectly understandable. In exchange, I get to dress and go out with friends and events with her blessing. Since I only dress about 3 or 4 times a year, that works for both of us.

Lilith Moon
12-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Wife and a few other people know...couldn't find an option which fitted....

Josey
12-29-2008, 07:23 AM
My wife knows and that's it! She accepts it but would not want others to know....for a number of reason only she can relate to. I'm happy the way things are and would not want to upturn the apple cart.

DAVIDA
12-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Jean knows, I am sitting here in a skirt and top W/wedge heels. She is sitting in the other room.
The neighbors know.:heehee: Both sisters, Jean's daughter(mine too, she just isn't biologically),my mother, several friends, the lady that owned the spa, the waxing girl, the lady who did my wig, the girl that does nails, the people at the eyeglass store, the girls at Payless, the girl at the jewelry store, and others that I'm sure know, I just don't know everybody that does.

CDPAUL
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
other than the girls at a few drive up windows in another town (to chicken to get out of the car) only my wife knows she says she is ok with it but not sure she fully understands it all

ukcd87
12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I told my mum i crossdress purely for the fact that if she caught me dressed or found my stash or asked about the suitcase i keep it in (which is in my room and padlocked) or any things i brought online which could arrive in the mail it wouldn't be so awkward explaining it to her. She said that she didn't care if i crossdress although i still do it in privacy in my room.

mackemlass
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm another who doesn't have an SO at the moment. My brother knows along with a handful of close friends. There are a few others who probably suspect by now and if one of them were to ask me directly whether I was a crossdresser I would say yes. My ex-wife knew,she wasn't happy with it,although it wasn't the reason we split up.

Ann D Bluebird
12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
.....this poll assumes we all have a SO :doh:

Samantha Kelsey
12-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi to you all and thanks for voting, Maybe I should have written the last option differently.
"I'm out. my SO/lots of other people know" is meant as
"I'm out, my SO or lots of other people know".

I'm well aware that many CDers don't have an SO.
My thinking was that those with no SO would simply vote either first or last choice.

Please don't shoot me for my minor incompetence.

cindybabe
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Only my wife and she has been great although both of us are still afraid to go out together.:o:hugs:

PhillyGuy2Girl
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I voted the 2nd choice. my wife is the only one who knows.Of course my 4 adorable cats also know but that all.

Felicity :)

cdmindymi
12-29-2008, 03:40 PM
My wife and so knows, and so do some of my closest friends. ooo yes, and some of you here...:heehee:

PretzelGirl
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
May just be my wife. She dropped some hints with a friend a long time ago, but that person is out of our life and in another state. Now if my daughter has figured it out, that will make two. . .

Kimberly Marie Kelly
12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
And some neighbors may know indirectly, like seeing me outside mowing the yard in a skirt or getting the mail. And with my Ex wife knowing about my crossdressing, I am sure all my former in-laws and friends I had when we were married, now know.

So yes, I am out. So far no repercussions. :battingeyelashes:

Samantha43
12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
My kids and wife know and are suppportive.

Other than them.....I like my closet.....

Kathleen Grace
12-30-2008, 06:34 AM
I just told my wife. A few close friends knew in my school days. I'm no longer in contact with those old friends but not because of being a crossdresser.

So, of those close to me now, only my wife knows.

Claire Cook
12-30-2008, 06:48 AM
I think we need another voting option.

My SO knows and a few 'select' friends. None of my immediate family, my 'male' friends or anyone from work know.. although that may change in the New Year.. :)

Ashley, this is exactly where I am.

Sandie43
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
My SO is the only one to know Sandie however that could change if my So gets her way and tells her mother and some of our friends, I am still far to shy to at this time :o
Sandie

bobbie_1048
12-31-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm out only to my wife. However I do go out fully dressed ,so their are many who have seen Audrey but don't know who she really is.

this is about the closest to me. my wife and i go shopping quite often and i also have my rennaisance meetings. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!

Marjory
12-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Presently I'm a deeply closeted wannabe as my wife is sick and wants me around all the time. My wife, of course, comes first before anything