PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

Lisa Maren
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone

Well, I finally did it. I walked into a JCPenney (en drab, normal male haircut) and bought a woman's outfit for the first time!

I was nervous at first and left the store to get myself more "centered" for a few minutes before I went back in -- but I would not allow myself to hurry out of the women's department. I walked slowly, not rushing, wherever I went. I had to remind myself to actually look at the clothes rather than look around the store to see who was around. lol That's a good tip to keep in mind! As soon as I started to do that I immediately felt more relaxed because I looked more like a shopper and got myself focused on the clothes rather than on how nervous I was. I picked out a camisole top that looks like two tops, dark red over orange, but the orange is just a built in bra. I also picked out a nice dark red cotton skirt, kind of crinkled, to go with it.

When I got to the cashier, there was an older woman standing there, making up her mind on a purchase and I had to stand there quietly and wait for her (ain't that just typical lol). I felt my mouth get dry and so I subtly (or not? lol) swallowed a couple of times to make sure my voice would come out right and when it was my turn I made sure that my voice came out steady and solid but too forceful or animated. The cashier was a pretty, younger girl and she was talking to a coworker (?), also a pretty, younger girl. They looked to be probably early to mid-twenties. They didn't seem the least bit phased -- it was almost like they were paying me zero attention -- so either they didn't pick up on the fact that it was for me, or they just don't give a rat's @$$. lol I don't know. My hands are shaven and ladies do notice the details, so there might be a good chance they knew, but if they did, they certainly made it a non-issue, which was just great with me.

I was nervous enough that I wanted to leave without buying anything, but I wanted more not to leave empty-handed, dammit! I'm feeling decided, now, that I don't want to try to stop crossdressing any more. If I did, I'd be killing off a core part of me and so I would just stop being me. I'll probably have moments when I feel like stopping again, but that won't last anymore. :) I am determined that I have to be able to do this because 1) I'll save tons of money on the shipping costs, 2) a lot of the stuff I bought online comes absolutely stinking of the plastic it was packaged in -- or whatever that smell is, 3) I need and want to be able to feel like I'm not ruled by fear (I'll still have my limits, sure, don't we all, but that shouldn't mean I can't be myself) and 4) I'm wearing my pretty new outfit now instead of checking the UPS tracking page every half an hour to see if it's still on time lol. Okay, I'm not that obsessive, but I do check to see when to expect it and check maybe two or three times to see if it's still on time.

Anyway, thanks for reading, if you're still here!

:) :) :)

I'm so proud of myself!

Hugs,
Lisa

ronni
06-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Good move, Lisa, you handled that really well.
I'm proud of you, really!

GypsyKaren
06-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Lisa, that's so wonderful to hear. Sounds like you did everything right. Isn't shopping fun, even in drab? I'm very happy for you.
GypsyKaren

Priscilla1018
06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Way to go Lisa,the first time is the most difficult after that it gets much easier. :Power:

veronica
06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
:o you did good sister.
I do all my shopping in drab , as long as you act as if you belong there and look at the clothes and not the other shoppers nobody cares.

it gets easier the more you do it

continue good shopping :rolleyes:

:Power:

Raina
06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Lisa,

Isn't it a wonderful feeling! I had my first experience shopping for a new bra tonight and... WOW! did it feel great.
You said allot of things I was feeling as well. Just think about the clothes and the shopping and don't worry about anyone watching. You hit that on the head sweetie. I felt very comfortable looking through the bras to find the one I wanted once I stopped worrying about the people around me.
Good for us Lisa for breaking down the barriers.

Raina

Ava Mouse
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Congratulations! That was BRAVE!

The bravest things we do are overcoming our own self/society imposed limitations!

Holly
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Lisa, you've just opened a whole new world to yourself. Shopping is such a blast! Careful now... before you know it, you'll be trying things on before you buy them. Have fun, girl!

Elysia
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Good for you Lisa. Congratulations.

I know the feelings you describe. Over time I’ve become reasonably comfortable with shopping and have discovered that most shop clerks just don’t care one way or another. Still, my composure can be thrown off by the unexpected, though so far the unexpected has been unexpectedly nice. I wrote about one such experience here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=124322#post124322).

By the way, you write well, it was a pleasure to read your account of your experience.

Lisa Maren
06-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi!

Thanks for all of your comments, girls!

You're all very sweet!

Ava-

Is that you in your avatar/pic? I so want your hair, girl! You're beautiful!

Holly-

Yes, that's probably going to be the next thing I work on! Right after I buy a few more things to get more comfortable with that part if it. Right you are!

Hugs,
Lisa

Jeri Kay
06-09-2005, 09:57 PM
:Power: Way to be,Lisa! That Girlie Girl department is your's too. I havehad to shop for my lovely Girlie for so long that I do't think about it when shopping for myself.I'm interested in what I want,and the price.
I "Pardon me" to get some girlie out of my way,when necessary. I can be a little bit of a bitch,when I'm shopping.Go girl! ;)

Elysia
06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I’ll second Lisa’s comment about you hair Ava, beautiful is right. You are an artist. I’ve just read you advice on getting a wig in another thread. I’m saving a copy of that one. Excuse my enthusiastic tangent here.

Wendy me
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
99% of shopping is our own fear....with that said just rember you are the coustmer
be it buying for a so or your selfe...you have the right to shop any were you choise
once you get over that then the rest is history .....i love pennys.. you go girlfreind......

womanatheart
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Lisaas,
Good for you girl. Enjoy every moment of your experience.
One of my discouragements is to buy an item of womens attire to find it does not fit. That is the beauty of buying at the store. Have no fear of tying items on in the mens room (at a mall) - there are few attendants. I dispise the walk from the womens section to the mens dressing room (I figure - why not use my (ladies) room!!!. But I can guarantee the fit - which is always a challenge. Once I found fem clothes that fit - I found myself saying why not go all femme. Which now is another thrill. :)
Lots of Love,
Love,
Stephanie.