PDA

View Full Version : My story so far… (Very Long Post)

Junior
12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
I am a 33 y. o. college graduate, (currently saving money for Graduate school) finally “coming to terms” with my identity. I’ve always known I was different, and claimed a masculine image at the age of 4. A great many arguments, and not a few fights, with my mom revolved around my refusal to wear “girl” clothes. :puke:

I was able to preserve my male self image until the age of about 9 or 10. At that point, my folks threatened to have me institutionalized, i.e., locked up in a mental hospital or some other facility. It would have been simple enough for them to carry out that threat. As a minor, with significant physical disabilities on top of my so-called “gender issues”, my parents could have easily signed me over to the State. Instead, they enlisted the help of the school district and the Special Education process and embarked upon a “reorientation” campaign to feminize me in the guise of “normalization”.

I fought this onslaught successfully until female puberty hit. I was devastated when I developed breasts and started to menstruate. In my head I was still a guy, but it became virtually impossible for me to maintain that identity publically. My mom’s attitude basically was, “Ok this has gone on too long. I tolerated this when you were younger, but you’re a teenager now so stop pretending.” The social pressure became very intense and I tried to become the person that everyone around me told me I was supposed to be. I really tried to (pretend to) be happy in this female body, for several reasons: 1) At the time I didn’t know that transitioning was even possible. 2) I was thoroughly traumatized by the experience of having my mom force me to expose myself to a complete stranger to “prove” that I was not a boy and most importantly, 3) I was told by everyone I knew that God did not make mistakes, that God intended me to be a girl, and that if I just tried harder (wore make up and dresses) I would “get used to it”. The only thing I got used to was self hate and wanting to be dead. In college, I came out as a Lesbian, but felt like that didn’t fit either.

I went into therapy and started to finally face my masculine drives that I have tried all my life to suppress. I thought I had put this issue to rest. I made a decision about 5 years ago, not to pursue transition (particularly surgery) for the sake of my family. I thought being able to dress male would be enough. It isn’t. I find myself increasing resentful when people refer to me with female pronouns. I hate it when people call me “ma’am”. I want to be seen as male. I want to be seen as male and not be accused of “deception”. I want to become real.

If you got this far, wow! Thanks for reading my story.

Have a beer :drink:

~ Junior

Jonianne
12-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi Junior, Welcome to the forum! Wow, you sure went through a lot in your past. I hope your family will eventually ease up on you. I'm sure you will find a lot of friends and support here. Joni

Felix
12-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Junior and welcome to the forum :hugs: I really feel for you Hun you have gone through a lot and you will find that there are many on this forum who will be able to give you the support you need. I see many similarities in your story to others who frequent this forum and the frustrations you have are common to us all here. Hope to see you around more often xx Felix :)

ZenFrost
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the boards. :wave:

I know I can relate to feeling pressured into being female. I think that like you, I tried to push my feelings aside to be 'normal' and try to be what other people wanted me to be. But of course, trying to live a lie is just too hard.

Petri
12-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi there, welcome.

I too have a physical disability, so on that level at least, I relate

HUGZ XX

metalguy639
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi welcome to the forum., Your past is quite a bit like mine.

C.J.
01-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Hey junior :welcom:

Living a lie sucks, and it sucks that you've been through everything you have. I can definitely relate.

But, it sounds as though you're moving forward, and that's always a good thing!

Glad to have you here, dude.

- C.J.

Devon James
01-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey Junior, that's quite a past you have there. Living a lie and trying to make your family "happy" sucks. I really hope you're able to make your own choice in this and be the one who you really are. Wanting to die is not the solution, you have the right to be! Your family can shove it until they accept you as you.

If there's anything you want to talk about, or want to ask questions, there are a lot of friends here to help you as far as they can :hugs:

Stay strong!

deja true
01-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi Junior!

Not a very long post compared to many of us blabbermouths, especially considering that you've managed to put a couple of decades of your life into only a coupla hundred well chosen words.

A great many of us can relate to your frustration growing up as a stranger to yourself. But those days are past, dear one. You're obviously old enough and mature enough to be making your own decisions now. And if you haven't been able to find the kind of support and acknowledgement close to home that you need, you will here.

There are accumulated centuries of experiences like yours among the members here, on both sides of the gender fence, and also centuries of wisdom on how to deal with them.

Talking it out helps a lot. Reading of others lives and their defeats and triumphs helps, too.

Write as many long posts as you like. We're here to listen and sympathize and help, if we can.

respect & love,

deja

:<3:

Carrie
01-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Dear Sir Junior,

No worries; your post is not as long as many that I've read (or that I may have actually written). :o

Your character strength shines through in all that you have endured. I encourage you to continue to make decisions that are best for you individually even if the choices are unpopular or even rejected by those around you. You must be true to yourself and express yourself from the inside out.

If I may make one commentary on something you said…I will not preach to you and please know that I do not mean to offend anyone reading this post if you disagree with my opinion. I am merely trying to offer another view. Here it is… I do not believe that God makes mistakes. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe that God intends for you to be a man. I cannot explain why you were given the added challenge of having a female body other than to think that God has special plans for you. Perhaps, you will be able to help others understand gender identity issues by sharing your struggles.

I believe that each of us is given challenges in our life and that some of our challenges will push us to our perceived limits and even beyond our limits in some cases. Hang in there, by successfully meeting our challenges we grow and learn and in some grand scheme, each of our stories intertwine to make a beautiful, colorful picture that none of us can clearly see from our personal vantage point.

Just know that you have friends here on the forums and elsewhere in the community who accept you, who will be here to support and encourage you throughout your journey. This is YOUR journey so only you can choose your path. Be true to yourself and enjoy all of the perks (and pitfalls) that come from manhood.

Hugs, :hugs:
~Carrie

Junior
01-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Thank you all for the replies. :)

I have been lurking the boards on and off this week, imbibing the collective wisdom found here. :cheers:

I am posting in the middle of the night again, and am just now taking the time to reply. :sigh:

No matter how well intentioned I am, it seems impossible for me to respond in a timely fashion.

Please do not misinterpret this as a lack of interest in your posts.

It really *is* just that typing is tedious beyond description. :chained:

I will be posting replies to each of you individually, because your posts were all helpful to me in different ways and I want to acknowlegde you all.

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

Thanks everyone.

Junior

Junior
01-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Joni,

Thanks for the advice on self acceptance.

The article you suggested has been archived for later :bonk: review.

It was a helpful reminder. Now let's hope it sticks.

Junior

GG Pearls
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi Junior

Thank you for your carefully considered post. I have read it several time, and I'm really amazed at your honesty and ability to say what you feel so clearly.

In recent times, I've had the opportunity to think more about who I really am and what makes me tick. I recently came to the conclusion that I like to work full-time. It may seem simple on the outside, but I was home with the family for about fifteen years. That's a long time to be doing something you don't find that fun.

It took me a long time to realize so many things! 1) I'm not bad because I would rather work (where the he** did I get that idea? My mom was a 70's feminist!) 2) If I do what I love I will be happy 3) If I do what I love I will be successful! 4) Someone else will pick up where I left off. 5) Etc.

I realize that compare to gender reassignment, these concerns my seem pitiful, and I hope that what I am relating doesn't belittle the enormous challenges my TG friends and loves endure! (And I do love so many of you!)

Your post made me feel grateful, really, for my SO, Jina and her support of who I am, and for the support of the many wonderful people on this site.

Welcome to the Forum! You are among all kinds of friends.

XO
Pearls :hugs:

HEINEGUY
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks Junior, for sharin part of your story with us. See ya around. :)