PDA

View Full Version : rose parade intro?

Brandiwvr
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
has there ever been a GLBT entry in a major parade? and what if we had a entry in a major parade of just transgendered peaple? would this help take the stigma away somewhat? or should we just continue to fight are little battles on are homefront?

Karren H
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't know... Never saw any before but I'm not watching... got to get some chores done so I can watch the NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field in Chacago at 1pm!! :):):)

linnea
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't know either, but I think that transgendered people have a better chance of making progress with acceptance by representing themselves close to "home."
Until someone like Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt or some other very famous person acknowledges and shows acceptance for crossdressers and TGs, very little widespread progress will occur. Even--in the extremely unlikely event--then, little would change.
It will take many more years, but that is not to say that we should sit idly by; it's just to say that a high-profile presence in something like the Rose Parade would not do much, IMHO.
I thought that Dustin Hoffman's characterization in "Tootsie" was a great message, and Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire" did some good. But people tend to see these as "performances" rather than life-styles. And when one looks at the motivation within the context of each film, one sees that the situation has to be desperate for the character to take crossdressing action: Hoffman was out of work and desperate; Williams was in jeopardy of losing his children.
I'm for one little candle on this. I hope that that doesn't sound too pessimistic.

Jamie001
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I am very pessimistic regarding TG folks ever making progress because unlike gay folks, most TGs are closeted and are to afraid to come out of the closet and fight for their rights as human beings. In my opintion TGs, CDs, etc can make slow progress by incorporating feminine items into their otherwise male attire, just like women have been incorporating male items into their look for many years. This will desensitize society to the feminized male just as it has been desensitized to masculinized women. This approach has worked for women and I see women wearing suits and ties everyday.

Until we stop cowering in the back of the closet, we will never make progress.

I don't know either, but I think that transgendered people have a better chance of making progress with acceptance by representing themselves close to "home."
Until someone like Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt or some other very famous person acknowledges and shows acceptance for crossdressers and TGs, very little widespread progress will occur. Even--in the extremely unlikely event--then, little would change.
It will take many more years, but that is not to say that we should sit idly by; it's just to say that a high-profile presence in something like the Rose Parade would not do much, IMHO.
I thought that Dustin Hoffman's characterization in "Tootsie" was a great message, and Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire" did some good. But people tend to see these as "performances" rather than life-styles. And when one looks at the motivation within the context of each film, one sees that the situation has to be desperate for the character to take crossdressing action: Hoffman was out of work and desperate; Williams was in jeopardy of losing his children.
I'm for one little candle on this. I hope that that doesn't sound too pessimistic.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Right now, I agree with Jamie - wish things were different - pray for that dat, but don't see it any time soon.
JoAnne Wheeler

docrobbysherry
01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I am very pessimistic regarding TG folks ever making progress because unlike gay folks, most TGs are closeted and are to afraid to come out of the closet and fight for their rights as human beings.
Until we stop cowering in the back of the closet, we will never make progress.

I don't think that has ANYTHING to do with it! Until regular folks stop thinking CDing is a "fetish", with sexual overtones, it won't be accepted!:sad:

And, for the most part, I believe it's us fetish CDs who stay in the closet!:brolleyes:

What needs to happen is, the public needs to STOP associating CDs with TS/TG individuals! Since we all look very similar, that mite happen when hell freezes over! :Angry3:

Nicki B
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
has there ever been a GLBT entry in a major parade?

There are trans people taking part in all the major (and most minor) Prides every year in the UK? :strugglin

The attached pics on this post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1122489#post1122489) were taken in Manchester city centre, in 2007 - not surprisingly, they won best 'float' - well, who was going to argue? :D

jessica19cd
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I think most people in charge of the parade would ban a GLBT entry. It just seems as if most people would object. The only parade I can think of that has entries is the Pride parades in most cities. But of course they would have GLBT entries.

SallyJ
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
In my opintion TGs, CDs, etc can make slow progress by incorporating feminine items into their otherwise male attire, just like women have been incorporating male items into their look for many years. This will desensitize society to the feminized male just as it has been desensitized to masculinized women. This approach has worked for women and I see women wearing suits and ties everyday.

I agree and believe this would be very effective. And I practise this all the time. And do it while shopping for feminine items and don't be afraid to tell the sales person its for you!
Did this for years around friends (blouses, pants, heels) and when I came out to them, it was a shock; not that I wore ladies garments but only because they thought I was very masculine. Go figure!! A great example of desensitizing?

And you can have a lot of fun at the same time!!

Sandra
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I am very pessimistic regarding TG folks ever making progress because unlike gay folks, most TGs are closeted and are to afraid to come out of the closet and fight for their rights as human beings.
This I agree with, if more people got out into the public eye, then things may get better.

In my opintion TGs, CDs, etc can make slow progress by incorporating feminine items into their otherwise male attire, just like women have been incorporating male items into their look for many years. This will desensitize society to the feminized male just as it has been desensitized to masculinized women. This approach has worked for women and I see women wearing suits and ties everyday.

But unless they are FtM they are not trying to present as a man, they are just wearing clothing that they feel comfy in. It has got nothing to do with masculinizing women, again they are not trying to dress as men, whereas cders are dressing like women.