PDA

View Full Version : This dang mansmile!

Lisa Pomeroy
01-01-2009, 01:51 PM
OK, here's one...

I sent some pics to a long-distance friend, and she noted that I looked serious in all of them, so I went back and looked at the shots I had passed over, and I realized that in the ones I was smiling in, I looked a lot more mannish. When I smile--a nice big natural smile--I show WAY too much chin for a woman, and my jaw line tightens, and my lips thin right out, and my cheeks bunch up and make my eyes look small...omigod, I have a MANSMILE! :D

Anyone else wrestling with this weighty issue? Do you smile differently en femme? Any advice on how to smile like a woman?

Next week...blinking! :battingeyelashes:

Pokerfaced Lisa

Karren H
01-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Well a woman's smile is a tough one... Women smile all the time..... and it took me a long time to master... hmmm Misterss?? Well after I figured it out... I can't stop smiling... no matter how I'm dressed.. lol

Alex!
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh yes indeed. I avoid smiling en femme because it betrays my masculinity. Smiling is nice, to be sure, but also overrated. Some people have nice smiles and others don't. I also like mystery. A hint of a smile is often much more compelling than a full-blown sunny smile. Da Vinci knew this well.

As a guy, however, I smile lots.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Lisa - I look the same way - wish I did not look so serious - have tried and tried not to look that way - don't know how to get rid of it - would love to have suggestions
Your sister,
JoAnne Wheeler

Sally2005
01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
It takes practice. Somewhere between having elastic bands on the corners of your mouth to your earlobes while only just slightly smiling to look happy but not to show wrinkles. To me I feel like I am smiling, but actually I look serious so it takes some extra effort to actually get a smile. Sorry, can't explain it better, study female photos.

docrobbysherry
01-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh yes indeed. I avoid smiling en femme because it betrays my masculinity. Smiling is nice, to be sure, but also overrated. Some people have nice smiles and others don't. I also like mystery. A hint of a smile is often much more compelling than a full-blown sunny smile. Da Vinci knew this well.
As a guy, however, I smile lots.

Maybe that's also why Sherlyn never smiles. There's no question she looks completely fem anyway!:)

Men often look goofy smiling. I know I do! Maybe we don't care. But, women may be more sensitive about how they look?:brolleyes:

SweetCaroline
01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I can tell you one thing. Learning to smile like a woman not only takes practice, but it can make your cheeks and facial muscles hurt. Basically, you have to "teach" your face to use muscles that, as poker-faced men, we usually don't normally use. So my advice would be to just practice, and if it hurts, than you're doing something right.

Andrea's Lynne
01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I can't help but smile ... both in drab and en femme. Life's too good not to go through it happily.

And I find my interations with the world are always better when I let my smile start the interaction!

Sara Jessica
01-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I think you need to experiment with different smiles and looks to figure out what works for you. I actually stumbled into the fact that for me, the bigger smile the better. Stumbled because I have had very few pictures taken of me in girl mode and I kind of lucked out to discover what worked best for me. A half-smile, a "guy smile" just didn't work in girl mode.

Paula T
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Smiling is very hard for me to do when taking pictures for me its even harder than knowing what to do with my hands.:o I also don't have very good teeth and am somewhat consious of them when dressed.:sad:

Jonianne
01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Good thread Lisa. Having a pretty smile is something I have tried hard to do. Many times I would be thinking I was smiling when my wife would tell me to smile - "I am smiling!" Oh well. I also believe that a persons eyes are at least 50% of a smiling face.

Angie G
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I never thought about it hun.:hugs:
Angie

Lisa Catherine
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I've noticed that it's easier to walk around with a smile when I'm "dolled up". I'm gonna practice on my smiling and facial characteristics for my next CD'ing road trip!!:drink::hugs:

Jacqui
01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I've noticed that it's easier to walk around with a smile when I'm "dolled up".

Same here. I don't smile too much en mano...because real men don't smile:devil:....but real women do:battingeyelashes:!

Anna_kissed
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Hello, I have been comparing smiles for a while. To my observation generaly women show more of their upper dentures both when speaking and smiling than do men. This seems to give more emphasis to the smile --I think because of the contrast between white teeth and lips.

This is my first post:o---love the forum. hugs Anna.

jennifer41356
01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
You dont have to always smile, like Andrea said it can be over rated, but look at her avatar, she is not frowning and I think that is the key. I notice some pics where there is this frown or look of being mad at something, thats the key :2c:

suit
01-01-2009, 10:36 PM
some where it siad it takes 30% more mucles to frown than to smile .
and being you have been programed to act look like and respond to the male look .. you'r going to have to figuer out how to use 40 % less control of your features to unfilterely express the joy the sole wants to shine forth .

jessica19cd
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty lucky because my lips are naturally plump so they work out well.

linnea
01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
It takes practice. Somewhere between having elastic bands on the corners of your mouth to your earlobes while only just slightly smiling to look happy but not to show wrinkles. To me I feel like I am smiling, but actually I look serious so it takes some extra effort to actually get a smile. Sorry, can't explain it better, study female photos.

Yes, I think that it is one of the most difficult qualities to command. I work on it, but I never quite get there. Women tend to smile MUCH more than do men, so I think that smiling a lot is very important to my look and presentation. I wish that I knew the secret(s). Part of it is just getting used to doing it--almost all the time.
Keep smilin'.

matrioshka
01-02-2009, 12:42 AM
I agree with Andrea. The enigmatic smile works much better for me. If I try a broad happy smile, it looks weird and forced.

Katrina

JaytoJillian
01-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Certainly no expert on the "femme smile," but when posing for pics, my thoughts regarding my smile are "softer anf gummy." weird, I know, but it works for me.

Cheers,

Jill

Alice Torn
01-02-2009, 01:38 AM
I can pull off a good smile in photos, about 20%, maybe. I also have the huge hands, and farmer tan, and that gives me away. I wonder where some of you buy your long lady gloves. That might help me with farmer tan, when in sleeveless dresses. I know that I will always have huge male hands, but extra extra large long ladies' dresssy gloves might help. My chin extends a lot too, when smiling, but, I am learning to accept myself, when dressed in drag, or drab. Roy Masters, said, "Smile, you'll soon be dead!" So true.