PDA

View Full Version : Neuroendocrine disease and hormones

helenr
01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I would urge any who plan to take hormones or anti-androgens to learn more about how our endocrine system works. Unfortunately, our mental issues that bring us to this website probably aren't 'on the same page' as our body as designated XY chromosomally. I know now that my Merkel cell cancer is related to a weaked immune system that I fostered by going all out to squash my testosterone with 18 months of spiro. It worked too well!
My cancer treatment will involve radiation that I believe will be effective, but I have to live (I hope) with the knowledge that I f%^ked myself with meds.
It isn't easy living with male stuff coursing our bodies when we want female, but just be careful what you do.
Many will poo poo this and not want to believe this result can occur with interfering with the 'normal' hormones, but it can occur. Will everyone be so afflicted, I hope not.
Strengthening ones immune system is good for everyone. I would urge any who are tinkering with the 'factory engine' to learn more about getting maximum nutrition, keeping as healthy as possible, plenty of rest-sensible for anyone, but extra important for our community.
with best wishes to all, helen

Nicki B
01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I know of two girls who are permanently disabled now, as a result of strokes caused by taking female hormones.

Unfortunately, it's those who know the least who are so willing to risk so much?

Sharon
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Your post reinforces what I and some others have repeatedly tried to say here, Helen -- unmoderated (meaning by a doctor) use of hormones or any other medication, be it prescribed, herbal, or whatever, is like playing Russian roulette with your health and, possibly, your life.

It is absolutely foolhearty (meaning that it's freakin' stupid!) to self-medicate, especially if all you are after is a pair of breasts or some other superfluous desire.

marie354
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
This is just what my doctor said to me. I was all ready to start HRT, but she now wants a complete physical & blood work-up first and a chat with my previous doctor.
I said that it was fine because I don't want things to go wrong.
If I can take them, then OK. If not... Well I'll deal with it.
I've already gone through a stress test, so I know that my heart is in good shape. (Thank God!)
I do, however, have blood clotting in my left leg, and so far, that's the only place.
Now because of this clotting, I may not be able to take them.
I may still may be OK with a T-blocker because of an enlarged prostate.
I'll know more after the rest of the tests.

Anyway... Better safe then sorry.

In the mean time, I've been living as a woman for 16-17 months now. So I've got that under my belt.

Living as a woman and adjusting to life that way is as much a part of the transition as anything the drugs can do.

helenr
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Sharon and others, yes you are correct about unmonitored meds, but I believe that undesirable results can occur regardless of the best endocrinology advice and supervision. I am referring to the challenge of determining how to offset the impact on testosterone in a genetic male.If we are physically designed, programmed, etc for certain endocrine processes, how can 'supervision' alter the inherent chemistry? I don't know, frankly, if taking estrogen could offset the 'benefits' that testosterone provides--and I refer to internal biochemistry type matters.
In my situation, I believe the cancer is due to a 'disturbed' auto immune system. This was knocked out of wack but a reduction in 'normal' testosterone. I would wonder if there is enough research out there to know how males are affected by anti androgens and estrogen with so many variables. I am about 62--maybe if one is 32 or 42, there isn't the same physical 'frailty' that allows this cancer to run amok. I mentioned to my Oncologist that I was taking spironolactone-which is commonly used for hypertension and a diuretic-he didn't think this played a role in my cancer. someone who was kind enough to femail me on one of these posts explained about how our body's biochemistry works and I am inclined to think-at least for me- that I was a victim of Testosterone 'revenge'-causing an imbalance was the cause of the Merkel Cell cancer-an endocrine related skin cancer.

It is very vexing to think that we who are reading these posts-as opposed to the 'what kind of underwear do you have on today' posts-may be condemned to stay influenced by testosterone to stay well--that any tinkering with 'factory equipment' carries risks-regardless of having an MD monitor your health. I honestly don't know. Helen

tgirlinva
01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
okay - this is very alarming and scary to me! I mean, does anyone have any stats and how often this occurs? If I go through all the necessary medical hurdles, will I be able to be on HRT? did the thread starter not take the original medical precautions necessary? I'm sad :(

gerdani8
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I know from personal experience what estrogen can do to some people. In November 2006, I spent three nights in a local hospital with blood clots in BOTH lungs. Then, for the next seven months, I was on Coumadin (Warfarin) to hopefully prevent further clots. I had three doctors at the hospital and the PCP at my VA Clinic all tell me the clots were caused by the estrogen (Premarin). Also, my PCP told me I cannot go back on that medicine, nor can I talk any herbals, bio-identicals nor the "breast enlargement" pills because my body would perceive them as estrogen and would have the same effect. The first month off the estrogen was pure Hell as the *E* level was dropping and the *T* level was increasing. I kiddingly told a friend I had been thru puberty as a girl and menopause as a woman in eight years! But, I'm still here and life goes on.

Gerri