PDA

View Full Version : Driving while dressed

aprilhearn
01-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Is it illegal to drive all dressed up with your guy drivers license? I mean do you have to have a 2nd drivers license with you being all dressed up in the picture. I don't want a cop to think I'm in disguise if pulled over.

diane51
01-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Not really sure about the answer to that but common sense tells me the state wouldn't allow you to have two drivers license. If your really concerned about it, give your local authorities a call and simply ask. If you want to remain unidentifiable use a public phone...do they have those anymore, pay phones?

Kate Simmons
01-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Nope, although some go to the extent of getting a femme ID just for that purpose.:)

EjayeCD
01-02-2009, 07:16 AM
There is nothing illegal about driving while dressed. Just be sure to carry your license with you, and that it's not expired, suspended or rekoked. Driving without a license is an arrestable offense.

EjayeCD
01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Make that revoked.

LaurenInDC
01-02-2009, 07:43 AM
April,

Most states do have laws prohibiting wearing a "disguise" in public, but the legal standard that needs to be met is that it must be used for the purpose of hiding one's identity while committing a seperate criminal offense. Crossdressing does NOT fit within that category, and the subject of crossdressers and transgendered folk is covered in most types of state-mandated awareness training.

If, for whatever reason you get stopped, simply tell the officer that you are a crossdresser if asked. YOu might get a snide comment, but most likely you'll get your ticket, etc, and be told to have a safe day/night/afternoon, etc.

The one and only time I had an interraction with the police while dressed, they simply took my license, verified the info (the officer asked if it was my license, and I replied that it sure was) and I was left to complete my ATM transaction.

In short, you'll most likely not get any static unless you're doing something against the law.

Hope this helps!

Lauren

Suzy Harrison
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
It's not a problem. I've been stopped for speeding and nothing was said about my photo.

Nadia-Maria
01-02-2009, 08:01 AM
I am very happy to live in a civilized part of world (old Europe) where you may drive as femme as you want (wearing as much make-up and fake hair you want), and whatever your sexual orientation is, but not having drunk too much or being at the telephone ! :) :battingeyelashes: :hugs:

JoAnne Wheeler
01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't think it is illegal, at least I hope not - JoAnne has driven across many states
JoAnne Wheeler

linnea
01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Not really sure about the answer to that but common sense tells me the state wouldn't allow you to have two drivers license. If your really concerned about it, give your local authorities a call and simply ask. If you want to remain unidentifiable use a public phone...do they have those anymore, pay phones?

It is not illegal in my state. I haven't been stopped many times under any circumstances, but the last time that it happened (because of a burned-out tail-light), I was dressed en femme and the officer didn't even blink. I showed my license, he noted the information and told me about the tail-light, and that was that.
Check with local authorities. They'll tell you.

stephanie.ts
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
In New York it's illegal to carry two driver's licenses. When you receive a new license you're obligated under law to destroy the older one.

It's not a crime in New York to drive enfemme, but some (usually bigoted) police officers might give you a hard time, especially if you don't look like a feminine version of your masculine picture. For instance, if you are totally unrecognizable they may ask to see *your* license, but calmly (and possibly in your regular voice) say that it is your license. You might get a couple awkward looks, but most people won't say boo. This also goes for using your ID to purchase alcohol.

Melinda G
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Like the other poster said, it's only illegal in some states if you do it with criminal intent, or in the commission of a crime. I've been stopped a couple times with no problems. Just stop and be polite. DO NOT panic and try to get away!!!!!

Amy Hepker
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I cannot see where it would be illegal unless you were committing a crime. Bad amkeup is not a crime. LOL

valenstein
01-02-2009, 12:38 PM
My first real night out, I'm out with a bunch of girls at a club and our driver accidentally left the keys in the ignition with the car running all night. Now it's after 2 a.m., freezing cold and she had to call the police to open up the car. Six of us dressed to the nines and officer didn't say a thing out of the ordinary, even when one of the gals tried to flirt with him. He checked her ID, and that was it. The only other time was when I went through a sobriety checkpoint, maybe he looked at me long enough to know, maybe not but no problem, though i look more like a woman on my driver's license than i do in person.

If you are nervous about being out, keep in mind unexpected issues like a checkpoint or flat tire or who knows. I usually keep some makeup remover, a pair of jeans and a tee in the car just in case. I really don't care who sees me, but I wouldn't want to have to walk to a gas station at 3 a.m. in heels and lipstick.

Karren H
01-02-2009, 01:05 PM
A disguise? I don't consider going out enfemme as a disguise! That's when your dressed as mini-mouse or Hillary Clinton! Lol. Your still you no matter what clothing you wear..

beenherelongtime
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
good advice to check with your local police. as the other posters said, you should have a criminal intent in mind to be arrested.

Jayne
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I hope not in England as I have been out driving while fully dressed a few times.
I must admit the thought of having a break down or a flat tyre while in my stockings and heels is always a turn on :)

Carole Cross
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I haven't driven en femme yet, but then I've only been out once so far and that was just down the road so I walked. I will try it sometime this year when going to meet my new friends and therapy visits. :D

Regina
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Didn't cause me any problem in Ohio when i was stopped at a sobriety check point.

leesametz
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Bad makeup is not a crime.

Praise the Lord for THIS...

i look more like a woman on my driver's license than i do in person.

WOW! based on your avatar, you must look better than most GGs cause your avatar sure is convincing...

i made an ID card that basically has my femme picture on it with my girly name. it then says AKA D.......... .....l with my correct address. i carry it with my license when im out just in case theres any issues...

of course i made it pink with a rainbow pyramid so there should be NO reason to receive grief. i laminated it at a local office supply store where customers can run the laminator on their own...

Tora
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Some of our friends here in Detroit, cross the border to Windsor, Canada. As long as customs is certain of your real I.D. they don't get concerned with the costume. Sober is the main thing. The check points are not used often in Michigan, but DUI would be a real bummer. Cops seem to develope the sixth sense. As one who is required to maintain a Commerical License, two is a BIG federal offense.

jill s
01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
In Colorado It is only illegal if you have one of those "Focus on your own damn family" bumper stickers, than it's a hanging offence. But O so worth it.

marny
01-02-2009, 11:47 PM
As long as it's your license you drive as a clown or a gorilla. Whatever you want hon! :D

Sally2005
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
It all depends on what normal is... I mean if you are a girl at heart doesn't dressing in male clothes become a disguise. I don't think it is illegal anywhere, but if asked by a police officer don't hide your true identity. I hear in the EU it will be legal to hold a female and male ID soon if a new law passes. That would be a great innovation the rest of the world should adopt.

dionne xdresser
01-03-2009, 07:03 AM
i live in cyprus and i can tell u police brutality is at a high they would definately beat me up if i got pulled over whilst driving its hard being accepted as a gay guy let alone being a cder they dont take to kindly to us girls here so if your ever in cyprus then be wary of the police here! oh and let me know your here so we can go shopping or somethin! lol :o xx

Angie G
01-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't think so I do it in warmer weather no makeup but fully dressed.:hugs:
Angie

CD Susan
01-04-2009, 12:58 AM
As far as I know it is not illegal to drive while dressed as member of the opposite sex in the USA. You can wear whatever kind of clothes you want as long as you possess a valid drivers license in your name.

aprilhearn
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I looked thru state laws and don't see any thing for Colorado. I know there is a non-discrimination law in Colorado not sure if that would go for driving as well.

victoriamwilliams1
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Its legal. I have been pulled over a few times just do not use your female voice if you have one! If you do you may have a problem then. Now it is illegal if your dressing and driving with the purpose to commit a crime.

Anne-Marie
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
In good old England it is perfectly legal to dress en femme. In fact as we now have the gender recognition act anybody who registers under this act has the right to be treated as their chosen gender enshrined in law - can even use the ladies loo. If the police now arrested you for behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace (as they used to be able to do last year if being dressed in public was likely to cause trouble - though they very rarely did so) would now be breaking the law themselves. I presume this is the case in the rest of the EU as the law came from a EU directive. Can't say what the law is in other parts of the world though. I would guess it varies from country to country or state to state etc with you big countries.

Jilmac
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know what the driving laws are in your state but I keep my male license for driving and ID no matter if I'm in guy mode or girl mode. Perhaps you could check the laws in Co.

donnajune1950
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
In California; as I believe is the case in most states it is only illegal to drive crossdressed during the comission of a crime. But of course it is illegal to disguise yourself if you are commiting any crime. Now for that second ID. If you get pulled over for speeding and you show the officer an ID that states you are a female or only has your feminine name then enjoy the ride. Speeding is a crime. Giving an officer an ID that makes it difficult for him or her to assertain your true identity is also a crime. Being dressed to match your ID only helps you to see what the inside of a jail cell looks like. If you get pulled over by the police give them your real ID. They have seen it all and after a bit of harassing you will be on your way with just a ticket. Maybe a warning if you are sexy enough.

BillieJoe
01-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Its very illegal to appear in public without any clothes on. I remember when I was growing up that it was illegal to crossdress. A person could very well wind up in psyche ward somewhere. Sometime in the 1970s I believe it was no longer considered a crime when the psychiatic community re-evaluated their descriptions of what was normal and abnormal.

cindym5_04
01-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I've been pulled over in Virginia when I've been dressed and nothing was said. I believe I've posted somewhere in the forum about this before, but the officer was polite and professional the entire time and just told me to be more careful. I had cruised very slowly through a stop sign that I didn't see at a Metrorail station.

michelle2b
01-05-2009, 04:20 AM
I have been pulled over three times, all three times as a female. I spend most of my time as female, so it is not surprising. All three stops were routine checks for seat belts or for drunk driving. Each time let the cop know that I am transgender when I handed them my drivers license. They did not have a problem with me looking different from my license. My gender on my license is still M even after 8 years living as a girl. One of the cops flashed his light at me because he wanted to be sure I was the same person as my ID. The other cops did not even bother to do that. Because I was not at fault of any offense, they let me go with a respectful "have a good evening" or "have a good night".

I believe WA has a similar non-discrimination law as CO, but I do not think it applies to driving specifically.

prene
01-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Is it illegal to drive all dressed up with your guy drivers license? I mean do you have to have a 2nd drivers license with you being all dressed up in the picture. I don't want a cop to think I'm in disguise if pulled over.

I hope not. I do it all the time. I feel protected in my car and do not have to interact with anyone. They can see me but not well enough to tell that I am a CD'ser. This was my first steps outside the house . . . and I still like it.

I can't be the only one? or am I?

Michelle A
01-05-2009, 04:40 AM
I was pulled over recently because I had not renewed my drivers licence. When the policeman approached he said "I see that you're not <my male name>." I had to tell him that I wouldn't be so sure of that and handed him my licence. I didn't faze him and he let me go with a warning. The point is it doesn't seem to be illegal to drive while dressed.

Cissy Chiana
01-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Just been out once, at night, last winter, so I wore my girly jeans & flats with my blouse, cardigan & coat instead of a skirt and heels

May I suggest you ladies obtain a Tranny Licence (http://www.beckysweb.co.uk/tranny-licence.asp) if you're having ID problems :)

here's mine
http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh405/sissychiana/TVLicense.jpg

Sarah Martin
01-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Perfectly legal in UK. All the police are interested in is safe driving and that your car is roadworthy, taxed and insured.

I don't recommend flirting with a young cop though - no matter how handsome he is!!