PDA

View Full Version : If I break a nail.......

Karren H
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Last night the daughters boyfriend was about to leave and we noticed that one head light was burn out on his evil Dodge Dakota.. So I got volunteered to check it out since he being a nurse is pretty much mechanically uninclined... And it was cold and windy.. And as I was standing there.. With my arm contorted and my hand groping for the stupid bulb soccet.. All I could think about was "if I break an nail I'm going to be so friggin pissed off"!!

I finally told him to take my truck and I'll put it in the garage and work one it after I can warm up a bit... But my over-riding concern was still that I could take it apart properly and use my mechanics gloves and save my nails!! Now is that obsessed or what? You ever have moments like that or is it just me?

queenie
01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
oh dear lord yes. my nails were getting kind of long and i noticed that one of the headlights in my mazda was out. i figured it would be a simple thing, but noooooo. the engineer who designed it should be shot. that's one mean little trick to get the bulb in and out. i was thinking the whole time that if i broke a nail, i'd go find the guy and shove the burnt out bulb up his you know where.

Diann
01-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Thats right its one of the little things that I have day today letting my nails grow out a bit and it pisses me off when I tar:daydreaming:e one I wish there was a way to make my finger nails as thick as my toe nails!

SherriePall
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I have given up on my nails. The minute they grow a little longish, I do something which breaks them or splits them or something earthshattering like that. When I used to try to get them nice, it would upset me to no end when that happened. Now I figure that is why stores carry one-step nails -- to give me peace of mind.

Karren H
01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I had given up to, Sherrie!! Till I started using Wet n Wild clear matte polish and nail hardner.. #201.. Its amazing how hard and strong my nails are now!!

Bethany38
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Karen thank you so much for putting the tip out there about the nail polish and hardener. I needded that `cause my nails will not grow thick and now maybe they will. Thanks again Bethany

queenie
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
You could go get some gel or acrylic nails. That would be stronger than your natural nail alone.

Sandra Dunn
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I hate it when I break a nail! It never fails, when I get them nice looking I end up doing something butch and "snap" there goes one and that's not the worst of it. It seems when I break one I end up breaking several more within a couple of days.

I try to wear gloves for every thing I do out in the work area from latex to mechanics gloves and I still manage to break a nail.

Sandra

Kelsy
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
OPI base coat matt finish works great for stengthening with a clear top coat for shine. cracks and torn nails can be repaired with superglue!!Anything to prevent that "OMG I broke a nail thing!":battingeyelashes:

Kelsy

Carole Cross
01-02-2009, 01:21 PM
This is one of the reasons why I need to change my job, my nails keep breraking!! They are quite long atm but I will have to cut them when I go bacK on Monday. :sad:

JoAnne Wheeler
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Karren - is Wet & Wind a brand name ? Where do you buy it ? I have a split nail from hell. The split must go all the way up my arm - it is split as far as I can see. I have tried using the shinny top coat, but would prefer a more subdued coating while at work - please help
Love,
JoAnne Wheeler

queenie
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Wet & Wild is a drugstore makeup brand. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart, Target, supermarkets and drugstores.

Magickman
01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Since I began acrylic nail treatments, they hardly ever break, even when doing heavy manual work.

So, rarely do I have broken nails.

When it does happen, I hasten to the nail salon for a quick repair.

Problem solved.

Kate Simmons
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
My my, you gals are all girly girls. The nails do grow back ya know!:p

suzy
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Karren,

What were you thinking girl??? What would a GG do?? Call a mechanic....take it to the garage or service station.. You absolutely must not break a nail or heaven forbid get grease under a nail!:eek:

MJ
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Since I began acrylic nail treatments, they hardly ever break, even when doing heavy manual work.

Problem solved.

the same here. i so hate it when i break a nail. only 3 times last year

DonnaT
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I can do all kinds of manual labor, and not break a nail.

Yet, when I do the laundry, one will usually break.

Tess
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
When did car lights get so darn hard to change? My nails would never survive the ordeal. The major challenge for my nails is gardening...all that digging in the dirt.

BobbiJ
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
A few weeks ago, i was IM-ing with a T-girl friend that's recently out. She was complaining that she was having a horrible time with breaking nails. I, foolish girl that i am, told her that while i'd had the same problem when i first came out, i hadn't broken a nail in months.

That very night, while wiping my car windshield with a cloth, i smacked my index finger against a wiper. Looking down at my hand, what do i see? You guessed it. one big chunk of fingernail, gone.

Me and my big mouth.

;)

leesametz
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
heavens to betsy!

NOT a nail?!

i cant stand long nails so i keep the trimmed back almost to the quick. it also helps keep dirt from underneath them...

if im going to go out, ill get some press on nails. they usually feel okay but theyre never on for more than a day or two...

Jacqui
01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
You should have made a deal with the boyfriend: "I fix your bulb, you get me a nurse's uniform!"

StephanieC
01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, I too am one of those that gets pissed off if I break a nail. And it's soooo hard to resist using a nail instead of finding a screwdriver or pliers or something else. The problem is nails are fairly high maintenance and you (or at least I) have such an investment in nails we hate to start over. Unfortunately, for me, leather gloves don't even seem enough.

I think the feeling can be as intense (though different) when getting a run.

So yes, I can sympathize.

Phyliss
01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
There is nothing more gut wrenching sickening than, having taken the time to put on a good pair of work gloves, to prevent "broken nails" and as you're working you feel the nail come loose in your glove.
$45 set of acrylics that I'd been caring for and being super cautious about. GONE in 1/2 a second. Pulled off the glove to retreive the nail for reapplication when I got back home. Put it in my truck for later and had forgotten about it when I got in about an hour later. The nail now resides somewhere under the seat, I think.

Talk about P.O. ed. ggggrrrr

Teri Jean
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Karen dear, your nails are just as important as the final goal on net with 2 seconds left in the third quarter and the score is tied. Of course you should be pissed and yes you should wear your mechanics gloves but the bigger issue is you did not want them out in a vehical that had a light out. Bravo girl and pass the gloves and the screw driver. Huggs Keli GO WILD!

CD Susan
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
No Karren it is not just you. I am worried about breaking a nail all the time. Every time I do some work on my 68Charger I am constantly thinking of being careful to not break a nail. I wear gloves too but that doesn't gaurantee no broken or chipped nails. I find it difficult at times to enjoy the old car hobby and cd'ing too.

Alice Torn
01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Would that be worse, than breaking your prized hockey stick? What would Red Green say? "Keep your stick on the ice."

Patty
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM

Problem solved.

I love my acrylic nails and gel coat--in 2 plus years only one crack and break.

Tomara
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Karren

Once again you have brought a smile to my face !

And yes I have been there too , I don`t want to do that I just got my nails looking good !

P.S. Have your daughter find someone who is handy , unless he wants to go shopping with you ! LOL

:) Tomara

Mary Morgan
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Karren, I have the same issue and my wife knows it, so when I do a manly thing and break a nail without pouting, She finds reassurance. Inside, i'm screaming my lungs out!

SallyJ
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
My nails grow pretty fast and are quite strong and envied by my wife. I usually get french tips done every couple of months but have to cut the nails in the meantime every couple of weeks. During this time, they rarely break but as soon as I have made the appointment for the nail salon, I break several. Maybe I get too nervous and too careful at that time???

BekiJ
01-04-2009, 02:52 AM
What a wonderful problem to have.

I let my nails grow longer then usual as I knew my wife was going out of town. They kept chipping, an splitting. Applied polish one time (not a pretty job), took it off and cut them.

The press on nails I have found are to small, and curved. What's the solution.

Hugs
BekiJ

Stephanie Stephens
01-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Karren; Last year I smashed my finger, you know the kind that turns black and the nail comes off, just before leaving on a week long RV trip. This is when I dress the most and I was not happy with the look of my hands but I dressed anyway.

Stephanie Kay
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Last night the daughters boyfriend was about to leave and we noticed that one head light was burn out on his evil Dodge Dakota.. So I got volunteered to check it out since he being a nurse is pretty much mechanically uninclined...?

Hey, Karren, so what's with the crack about nurses, and guy nurses especially!!?? Huh? Huh? I am a nurse and am pretty well mechanically inclined no matter how I am dressed:battingeyelashes:!!!! Let's have a little more respect for nurses, why dontcha!!

OK, I forgive you, being an engineer and all that!! I guess I can't stay mad at you for too long!!:hugs::love:

Love,
Stephanie, RN

bredalee25
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I tend to not worry about it and they for the most part don't break. It seems to me that when I did worry all the time about it i broke more nails than now when I dont worry about breaking them.

ttfn

Adele
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I find with my job I'm always braking nails so I've got little chance of growing them so they all look nice at the same time. Takes a little planning and lots of luck!

I find it difficult at times to enjoy the old car hobby and cd'ing too.

Susan I'm the same. I keep putting off jobs on my old Volkswagen because of my dressing.

Stephanie-L
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I second the "What is with the crack about nurses" post. I am a nurse, for 20+ years, have been CDing for 35+ years, and do lots of mechanical things like rebuild motorcycles, cabinet making, metal work, firearms repair, etc. And don't think nurses, especially if they are in areas like orthopedics, don't need to have some mechanical aptitude. Shame on you for helping to perpetuate such a stereotype, but we still love you.....Stephanie

MissConstrued
01-04-2009, 05:16 PM
With my job, little injuries are almost a daily occurrence. Mashing fingers, banging knees, the lot. I seem to break nails more in the winter, when it's cold and my fingers are numb... can't feel what I'm doing. I'm not gonna cry about it, but it sucks nonetheless!

Jilmac
01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Well Karren, I can say this, even though I'm not obsessed with pretty nails, I still get PO'd when I break one . It usually happens at the most inoppertune time like two days before I get dressed for an outing with the girls. I have seen many GGs with shorter nails, albeit well trimmed and polished, so I don't feel so bad about breaking one. I can be happy shaping and polishing my short nails.

Paula T
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Most of the time when I am going out I wear glue on nails:) But have you ever tried to buckle up the very small strap on a pair of Mary Janes or other types of strappy heels:thumbsdn:

BritneyLynn
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Post ear rings, necklace clasps and the buttons on some remote controls are a challenge as well. Obviously long nails require the accomplishment of tasks using the sides and pads of the fingers instead of the tips, but some things are concave and the nail hits something before the finger pad or side accomplishes the desired task. I don't know to what extent prolonged wear will permit someone to learn better techniques.

The longest I've ever worn nails was a week last winter. I eventually felt more natural doing most things, but for some tasks those nails ends still collided with something. I put on a set of shiny copper color glue on nails last night and am hoping to be able to wear them until Tuesday afternoon.

Laura Evans
01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
AH! Broken or chiped nails, the bane of all women throughout the world.

Karren H
01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Ok I appologize for any reference towards male nurses, past, present or future... alleged or percieved.... :)

and I worked out in the garage all day with power tools, without gloves and didn't scratch a nial!! Yeaaaaa.....

Stephanie Kay
01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks, I knew you meant no harm!!

Love,
Stephanie, RN

MarciManseau
01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Last night the daughters boyfriend was about to leave and we noticed that one head light was burn out on his evil Dodge Dakota.. So I got volunteered to check it out since he being a nurse is pretty much mechanically uninclined... And it was cold and windy.. And as I was standing there.. With my arm contorted and my hand groping for the stupid bulb soccet.. All I could think about was "if I break an nail I'm going to be so friggin pissed off"!!

I finally told him to take my truck and I'll put it in the garage and work one it after I can warm up a bit... But my over-riding concern was still that I could take it apart properly and use my mechanics gloves and save my nails!! Now is that obsessed or what? You ever have moments like that or is it just me?

Isn't this why god invented men? :devil: We know this really cute mechanic....:daydreaming:

Hugs, Marci :hugs: