PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss and HRT

ria_ts
01-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I am new on this site. I am also quite new to transitioning.

I knew when I was about 3 years old that something was not the same about me that other people seemed to take for granted. Things did not make much sense. It took me several years to get to the point of self-acceptance. However, by that time, I lost most of my hair. My hair loss began when I was about 14 years old. I am the only one in my entire family to be going bald. Even my grandparents who died in their 90s had a full head of (white) hair. My mom was worried for me and she got me every possible medicine. I was finally depressed about my hair loss when I got rejected by my first ever date when I was 22. I went to hair doctors, but even they rejected me and they told me that I was not the right candidate for hair transplant because my donor site on the back of my head was also losing hair. Rejections from everywhere devastated me. By 24, I was on the Norwood scale of 5 for male-pattern baldness (I am 31 now). That was the first time someone suggested minoxidil as a safe option. Until then people were scaring me saying that because my blood pressure is very low already, minoxidil could kill me. Anyway, minoxidil never really worked for me to grow any new hair.

I had also never gone out as a girl until 2006. I had a very serious disability that year and it was the point of reflection for me. I was afraid of going out as a girl because I have a dark beard shadow even after the closest shave. I signed up for a transformation session far away from my home. The makeup artist showed me how to do makeup. She introduced me to proper wigs, not the costume kind that I used to buy online. She said that I looked gorgeous and totally passable. She took me out. I was not convinced. I could see the guy in the mirror. I decided that I would never go out as a girl again. However, I took the risk a few days later and went out again when I was visiting another town. Nobody said anything against me. I met a few people over several months and visited nightclubs. Everyone seemed to tell me that I looked gorgeous. It was going to my head. However, I knew deep inside that my whole appearance was a fiction. It did not reflect my natural self. At the same time, I was taking more risks in going out to more places and meeting more people. The more risk I took, the more I got read as a guy. I was confused for several months, because some people said that I looked great and perfectly passable and yet other people read me within seconds and treated me as a guy in female attire. I was horribly depressed because I did not know what was going on. I was also horribly depressed because the fictional female character I was becoming was probably the only part of my life that was going well, and now that part had also stopped going well. The moment I took off my wig, I looked like an old bald guy, suddenly in the wrong clothes for a guy and looking very ugly.

I started attending therapy sessions. I also started to attend some support meetings. I finally reached a point of self-acceptance. I decided that transition was the right thing for me. I do not know if I will go all the way, but I know I want to go at least some way along the path of transition.

I started taking finasteride 1mg in July because I did not need therapy to start on that one. In November, I started spironolactone. Just 3 weeks ago, I started on estrogen.

A few fine hair began growing in my bald spots at the end of November. I believe it is the effect of 5 months of using finasteride. However, I wish the spironolactone and estrogen would also have a positive effect on my hair. The fine hair are still very fine and tiny now, even after a month on more anti-androgens. I am getting a bit worried now. I may be getting too impatient. However, I need to know what to expect regarding hair loss.

Did you grow new hair or did you see your hair thicken during HRT? How long did it take for you to see the changes. If you had a bald area to begin, how long did it take on HRT to grow a healthy head of hair.

GypsyKaren
01-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi Ria, welcome to our little corner of the world.

I started losing my hair when I was 19 by receding hairline and thinning on top, it got to a point that I started shaving my head because I didn't like how it looked. I began transitioning a few years ago and wore a good human hair wig, but then decided to try growing my own hair out after 6 months on hormones. Quite a bit has come back from where there was nothing or a lot thinner, especially in the past year since my SRS, I think the spiro could only do so much and now the T source is gone.

My picture here was taken last week, this is after two years on mones, one year post-op, at age 56. It's not as thick as I'd wish it to be, but it's enough that I ditched the wigs last summer and go out like this now, and I'm very happy about going completely natural now.

That being said, my hair loss was not nearly as bad as yours, so don't expect miracles. You probably will get some regrowth over time, but I doubt it will be enough if you're a 5 now. There's nothing wrong with wearing a wig, lots of women wear them everyday, and mine kept me very happy and feeling good about myself for a long time.

Karen Starlene :star:

Mean Green Irene
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a receding hairline and have been on HRT for three years. No new hair although what hair I have seems a little thicker, and no more loss of hair either.
Irene

ria_ts
01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Karen and Irene, Thank you for sharing your experiences with hair loss and response to HRT. Karen, thank you for sharing your picture to show your experience with HRT.

Wearing a wig seems okay to me as long a I am out in public places. However, it does not seem to work in certain situations. For example, it rains a lot around here. When my wig becomes wet, it does not look right at all. It also does not work with relationships and it comes off or moves around when my partner tries to run some fingers through my hair. There are several situations that need me to have a non-bald head, even if my hair does not grow too long. I am hoping to find other options that could perhaps stick or bond some hair to my head without disturbing my real hair from growing out also. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out if my natural hair have any chance. It is nice to know from Irene's message that the hair do not fall off and may seem thicker.

I see extremely fine hair in all my bad spots and up to my childhood hairline. These hair are very thin and very light. They were not there 6 months ago, before I started finasteride. I believe finasteride made them grow out. These hair are my last hope.

Are estrogen and spironolactone supposed to work on very fine hair, almost like vellus hair?

Scotty
01-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I have an ever so slight recession in teh front, the hair that grew back was very fine and sometimes it breaks off....I think the T-blockers did far more than E! did for me in that regard...

rickie121x
01-04-2009, 01:01 PM
When I was doing herbs and hormones, there was no question that my hair-loss did not advance very much, if at all. And there was growth of very fine hair at the edges of my baldness - that really made me happy thinking that it would all grow back again and I would be young again! :)

Thinking; not only "young", but with boobs and hips and soft skin and a new outlook on life! I just knew that was going to happen! It wasn't quite like that, but I certainly wanted it to be that way. Another medical condition led me to discontinuing the process, and I sadly miss it - but I do enjoy the resurgence of the vital feelings in my genitals! Ummm, that part is just fine!

Fact: Now, my hair is falling out like no tomorrow - and I feel very sad about that. It is almost as if it is falling out faster :eek: - just to make up for the time when I stalled it with herbs and hormones. (I don't know if this is really true.)