PDA

View Full Version : Haircut

Lisa Pomeroy
01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
So we were all alone in the shop, just the two of us, me and Sue, my haircutter of 6 years...I like her. She's very good at her job, and through the years of chatting in the chair I've gotten an idea of who she is...a conventional girl, single and OK with that, into her pygmy horses and her young neices and nephews. I sat in the chair and she put the scratchy paper thing around my neck and the big cape and said something like, "So, same as last month?"

I took the plunge.

"Um...actually, at the risk of making you uncomfortable, I'd like to confide something in you."

"Uh...OK."

"I've recently discovered an interest in crossdressing."

"OK." Polite, auto-response...not really processing yet.

"So, I guess what I'd like, is a haircut which can, you know, go either way. And maybe I need to do my eyebrows differently too."

"Um...OK, well, like maybe we could trim short around the sides, but keep it long on top, and yes, the eyebrows would have to be different...trimmed a lot shorter."

"Yeah, that sounds good."

A slightly strained silence. She bustling, keeping her hands busy. I know her and like her and am honestly concerned that I've burdened her with an unwelcome confidence, so I turn and look her in the face and just ask, "Does that make you uncomfortable?"

She looks me back in the face, her expression serious but not hard. "Yeah, a little. But..."

I, in a rush: "I figure there's no harm in it...I'm not hurting anyone..."

"Yeah, it's your business...no harm in it..."

Another strained silence...more bustling. She's on the other side of me now, getting her scissors. I turn my face to hers again. "Actually, I kinda thought you might find it an interesting challenge...you know, professionally." I laugh self-consciously. "Making an...ambiguous haircut."

She laughs a little too. "Yeah. Not too masculine, and not too feminine."

She starts working. Neither of us speaks. I'm trembling a little. Then she ventures a conversational gambit on some other light topic, standard salon-chair chat. After the first few awkward sentences we find a comfortable rhythm and talk through the haircut, and I realize after a while that she's being looser and freer with me than she has ever been before...it's still just the two of us in the shop...she's laughing, she's showing some attitude, and I also feel freer and find myself saying things like, "Honey, I know exactly what you're talking about." It sounded like, it was, girl-talk. It felt nice.

At the desk after I give her a bigger tip than usual and say just before leaving, "Thanks again for being accepting of my little...revelation."

"Yeah, you're welcome. Like you said, you're not hurting anyone."

"Yeah. I just want it to be no big deal. I mean, how much to people really care about stuff like that in other people's lives, you know?"

"Yeah." Same careful serious but not hard face. Same slight awkwardness. But a little touch of smile too. "See you in four weeks."

"OK, see you. Bye." And then out into the snow-blowing wind.

And I'll tell you what...I dig my new eyebrows. The haircut looks good in drab, and I'm very interested to see the effect next time I dress too. She did a good job.

How 'bout that?

Neatly trimmed Lisa

Sarah89
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
That is well cool :p
Must take alot of courage to come out with that sort of thing haha !

Despite the awkwardness, it sounds as if she handled it pretty well, I mean I think it would be natural for her to mabye feel awkwardness of some sort.

Im sure in 4 weeks time , once she has processed it in her head abit, she will probably be rather intrigued and wanting to know more :p, or at least wont feel awkward.

renee k
01-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Lisa,

That's really good that you have an understanding stylist. I've been with mine for sixteen years. I found her through a referral from a local TG group here in Detroit. She's been fantastic in helping along with my femme side. I'm sure your gal will be just as helpful. Most stylist's have been down this road before.
Now how about some pictures of your new hair style and eyebrows. Speaking of eyebrows. Shaped well grommed brows add so much to your appearance, it's something that shouldn't be overlooked. Before I started electroysis, I would always have them waxed with every haircut. Now my electrologist keeps them in shape.

Huggs, Renee

Karren H
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow!! That's' awesome Lisa!!! Wish I had enough hair to get a fem style!!!

Rachel_DBN
01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
How 'bout that?

Very brave move of yours, :thumbsup: I'm not sure I'd do that with my hairdresser... :daydreaming:

Maybe you're going to show us your new style...? :battingeyelashes:

Cheers,

Rachel

JoAnne Wheeler
01-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Well that was courageous, however, I have a GG who cuts my male hair for me. I've known her for over 30 years and we are friends. I don't think I could tell her because after geeting my hair cut by a GG in a "beauty salon", I realize what a gossip vine is in there - it travels faster than cudzu grows. If I didn't care if others knew, okay, but if you are not ready to "come out" to the world, it is more than a little risky. [during my 30 some years with my hair dresser as she likes to called, she has given mamy curly perms and has colored my hair at times] But a "beauty salon" is a clearinghouse for gossip.

Love,

JoAnne Wheeler

CD Susan
01-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Cool story Lisa! I'm sure the next time you go in there will be no awkwardness and she will want to know more about your little hobby. She sounds like a friendly person.

Jodi
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Well that was courageous, however, I have a GG who cuts my male hair for me. I've known her for over 30 years and we are friends. I don't think I could tell her because after geeting my hair cut by a GG in a "beauty salon", I realize what a gossip vine is in there - it travels faster than cudzu grows. If I didn't care if others knew, okay, but if you are not ready to "come out" to the world, it is more than a little risky. [during my 30 some years with my hair dresser as she likes to called, she has given mamy curly perms and has colored my hair at times] But a "beauty salon" is a clearinghouse for gossip.

Love,

JoAnne Wheeler

There is also a professional code of silence that "what happens in the shop stays in the shop". Leaking out personal info on a client is the best way to put the business right down the tubes.

Jodi

gennee
01-03-2009, 09:11 PM
That's great, Lisa. It will be better for the both of you next time.

Gennee

:hugs::thumbsup:

Kim_Bitzflick
01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm glad you took the chance to do that. Being honest with yourself means being honest with others.

I told my hair stylist a couple years ago & she doesn't understand, but she accepts me as I am - but then again I'm married to her & I love her:hugs:.

beenherelongtime
01-03-2009, 10:10 PM
my hair stylist was very understanding but i could never quite get a hair cut that would work both ways. she did some great coloring on my hair.

Intertwined
01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I took the plunge.

Neatly trimmed Lisa

Congradulations, sure, it was a bit aquard at times, but I bet you feel great, would love to see the new you. and would love to hear how the next cut goes.

Unfortunately, I just shaved the last of my hair above my neck, minus my eyebrows.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=8504&albumid=927&dl=1230053822&thumb=1

Of course I do have a person that does my nails, but, as you can see in the picture of my nails, she knows.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7417&albumid=927&dl=1228074421&thumb=1

Susan.
01-04-2009, 01:36 AM
I know her and like her and am honestly concerned that I've burdened her with an unwelcome confidence...

Loved your story. So what did the haircut look like?

I have a friend at work that fits into that category. Although, I have not told her specifically, her none responses make it fairly clear that she doesn't want to know.

jane7
01-04-2009, 06:21 AM
You are so brave Lisa, Well done you lucky girl. Wish i could do the same but i havent the courage to do it.
Jane.:love:

Shelly Preston
01-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Lisa
I am sure she will be curious as to how you will look with the femme hairstyle

Please keep us up to date on anymore revelations

Angie G
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Good for you Lisa that must have taking a lot to come out to her I think she'll be fine with it hun.:hugs:
Angie