PDA

View Full Version : My Last First

Holly
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
For those of you who do not know, My wife and I are currently traveling. We spent 12/26-29 in the Phoenix area and spent our 40th anniversary (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97189)(12/28) 5000' above the desert floor in a hot air balloon. After that, we headed southeast to my sister-in-law's home for a visit and New Year's celebration. While here, my wife told her sister about Holly (with my blessing). She's the last of the family to know... and she has taken it wonderfully. Just she and I went grocery shopping yesterday and we had a chance to talk. It was very nice. A few days before, my wife, myself, my S-I-L, and a friend of hers all went to a nail salon to get our nails done for a New Years Party that evening. I asked her, "Did you ever expect when I married your sister 40 years ago that you would be getting your nails done with your brother-in-law?" She giggled. "No," she said, "but it's cool." My wife had already explained that I wasn't gay (why is it always the first question :D). "As long as your are happy, it shouldn't make any difference and it doesn't to me." I've got a pretty terrific family.

This morning, while I was on the forum, I asked her if she wanted to see any pictures. She said she did. I showed her the full size version of my current avatar and a few others where I was out with her sister. She still loves me.

So the world didn't come to an end. All the fears about the family disowning us were groundless. If you have spent your life being a good son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother, brother/sister... if you have been loving and open in your relationships, then sharing this part of yourself should be no more than a bump in the road... at least that has been my personal experience. My sister-in-law was the last to know and for the first time, I have no fear of anyone I care about finding out... they all know now.

Di
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Holly I am so happy for you:hugs:
You are so right about having pretty terrific family.Wonderful post:hugs:

TxKimberly
01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Holly I am so happy for you:hugs:
You are so right about having pretty terrific family.Wonderful post:hugs:

Way to go Holly! Some of my family does know, but there are still a lot that don't. Glad you don't have to worry about that anymore!

Shelly Preston
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Holly

Its great to hear it all went so well

It sounds like anther wonderful addition to all the memories you have :D

Karren H
01-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Yea Holly! That's soo cool!!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Holly, that story is really great - you really have a wonderful spouse and family - we all wish that we could be so lucky
Love,
JoAnne Wheeler

Jonianne
01-03-2009, 03:19 PM
......."As long as your are happy, it shouldn't make any difference and it doesn't to me." I've got a pretty terrific family........

So the world didn't come to an end. All the fears about the family disowning us were groundless. If you have spent your life being a good son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother, brother/sister... if you have been loving and open in your relationships, then sharing this part of yourself should be no more than a bump in the road... at least that has been my personal experience........

I have no fear of anyone I care about finding out... they all know now.

That is so wonderful Holly. Except for my first wife, that pretty much has been my experience too.

God Bless you and yours and be safe!

Joni

Petra Bellejambes
01-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Your story is an inspiration. I really hope you both can continue to nurture it all together. Very happy new year.

Petra

Tomara
01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Holly

Sounds like you have a pretty wonderful family and it is great that you can enjoy your life with them.
Have fun on your travels.

Tomara

Daintre
01-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Holly, I am very happy for you, the last hurdle cleared. Also I would like to say what a wonderful time it seems you are having, I hope it continues for a while yet.

Patty
01-03-2009, 06:29 PM
That is great news.

docrobbysherry
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
U r quite lucky to have the family and inlaws u do!

My ex's blood relatives disowned her for 5 years. Because she came out gay, after our divorce!:eek:

I can JUST IMAGINE how welcome I would be in their homes, if they knew what I do!:doh:

Margot
01-03-2009, 06:40 PM
You're sooo lucky. So what's left to do?:heehee:
Margot

scarlet
01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Happy for ya Holly thats gotta be a good feeling. So how did you like the balloon ride? Those things are the greatest.:hugs: Scarlet

SherriePall
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Holly, good for you. It most certainly has to be a load off your mind having the family know about you. Other than your wife, when did the first family member learn about you?

Rachel B42
01-03-2009, 06:56 PM
That is fantastic Holly! Next to your wife, having your sisters support must feel the absolute best. Your a lucky girl to have such a family.

MJ
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Wonderful new Holly i'm so happy for you. :hugs:

Violet
01-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Yay, Holly! How wonderful.

Also, it's truly an accomplishment to have reached 40 years of marriage! You and your wife must be special, determined, loving people. Congratulations!

beenherelongtime
01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
as most posters noted you are very lucky, you have a great wife and evidently a great family even to the in laws. good luck

2b.Lauren
01-03-2009, 11:28 PM
That was a wonderful and very encouraging story. I have labored may under the delusion that my world would come to an end if I did tell important people in my life. Maybe I need to focus some energy towards changing that theory. Thanks for sharing this.

Angela Q
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
My sincere congratulations, Holly. Enjoy your liberty-- you've certainly earned it! Stories like yours are wonderful in their own right, and will hopefully encourage others to make the difficult but crucial step towards being fully honest with their families.

Holly
01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Thank-you all for the encouraging posts. I know I am blessed beyond words with great a great family and wonderful friends. A little additional insight... my wife was absolutely certain that her sister would become absolutely unglued if she ever found out. She prejudged her without giving her the benefit of asking her how she really felt. My wife worked very hard for a number of years to keep it from her. The reality turned out so much different... almost a non-issue. Isn't it interesting that we often assume the worst, even from those who love us? Almost as bad as people prejudging us not knowing anything about us, isn't it? :D I guess what I am saying is that it is just as wrong for us to prejudge others as it is for others to prejudge us. If we had allowed our fears to control us, we would have never had the positive experiences that we have had. If you are on the fence as to whether to share this with your loved ones, I hope you will give it serious consideration. You could be cheating yourself and those you love out of a wonderful opportunity.

Sandra
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Holy what a wonderful thing. :hugs:

Lora Olivia
01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Sounds like great cause for cheer in the New Year. Way to go Holly.

rachellenicole
01-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Holly,
Thats wonderful!! It must feel like a huge burden has been lifted from you.

Rach

Teri Jean
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Holly dear it sounds like you had a wonderful time and I'm glad your s-i-l was accepting. Your comment about your life and people finding out you CD is like a speed bump was close to home. I have a nephew who is gay and I shared my CDing with him. He said basically the same thing. Being a good father, husband and generally good person makes the acceptance much easier. He is fully supportive but the question of orientation came up and he fould I'm hetro. Thanks for the post. Keli

serinalynn
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
My wifes two sisters both know I CD also a B-I-L a neice and 3 nephews. My family os spread out all over so I rarely see them.

Bootsiegalore
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds great!

Too bad you were here (in Arizona) for one of the coldest few days of the year!

Tara

Holly
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
...Too bad you were here (in Arizona) for one of the coldest few days of the year!I'm in Utah now... and it's snowing!:umbrella:

PretzelGirl
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Hope you enjoy our snow Holly. My back didn't. And there was too much of a moon to partially dress!

KarenS
01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Wonderful outcome Holly. Stories like yours seem to be fictional for my situation.

Kelsy
01-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Holly,

You are an inspiration!! Your wife and family are wonderful people and Holly you're courageous! Can I rip a page from you're book!!:heehee:

:hugs:Kelsy