PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing question makes HR Professional Certification test

WomanAtHeart4
01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
For those interested in HR and employee sexuality in the workplace, the below question was the only question on the 1040 question 2008 SHRM (Society of Human Resources) PHR (Professional HR) pre – certification test for future HR professionals that had anything to do with employee sexuality issues in the workplace.

Rather surprising with so many social sexual issues in the workplace (homosexuality, transexuality, etc) that the only question on the test concerned cross-dressing! (Maybe one of the test creators was a cross dresser?)

Actually, there was very little on the test concerning diversity as a whole – which will make up a majority of the near future workforce.
But, that is HR – always behind and late.

Question # 134

A male employee dresses in female clothes in the privacy of his home. Several employees are award of the situation and are uncomfortable working with the employee. They ask HR to reassign the employee. In this case, the HR manager should:

a) Ignore the behavior because it does not affect the employee’s behavior
b) Reassign the employee to a different department
c) Terminate the employee for immoral conduct
d) Give the employee a warning.

Answer: A
:)
Love,
Stephanie

AllieSF
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
At least they had the answer correct!

Joan_CD
01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
I was gonna pick door number 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karren H
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah!!! I got 100% too!! lol Great information.... I've wondered why our HR department hasn't fired my ass yet.... Now I know... Mater of fact they come to me alot... but for technical assistance on hiring new engineers...

Ladynlingerie
01-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, If I was the HR person I would reasign them to a position which allows them to work en femme everyday. See...It's a win/win for everyone...

deja true
01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey!

What about :

e) institute a brief seminar for all employees about gender diversity...

?

Ashley_1962
01-03-2009, 06:01 PM
or another option

f) Fire the people who complained; If they are uncomfortable with someone crossdressing in the privacy of their own home, they obviously have some serious issues themselves that they need to deal with... :)

docrobbysherry
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
When the test question says:

A male employee dresses in female clothes at work. He always dresses in work appropriate female attire. Some employees complain. What should the supervisor do?

Answers:
A. Fire the dressing employee.
B. Fire the complainers.
C. Put the dresser in charge of the complainers.
D. Make the complainers come to work dressed completely in women's attire for one week. Corrections to their makeup and clothing may be made by the dressing employee.
E. Any/all of the above, except A.

And the correct answer is, E!:D

THEN, I'll feel progress is being made!:devil:

Teri Jean
01-04-2009, 08:48 AM
As a union rep for 20 years there is a concern that the individual who dresses may be placed in a hostile work envirorment and his or her safety is put in jeopardy. If that is the case, it is then an obligation to resolve the issue and or reassign the CDer to a place where they are more comfortable. The other point is; there needs to be training for all employees and a set of expectations given with consequences for individuals who cross the line and harass or assult said individuals.

There seems to be a generallack of training for HR personal overall on these issues, some do better than others but hearing there is little emphysis on this subject raises concerns for safety in the work place.

Keli

catriona36
01-04-2009, 09:23 AM
in some ways i agree with Keli on that, as i was a union slave myself.
Even tho the govt states no worker shall be discriminated agains on grounds of race religion or sexual orrientation, we KNOW it happens, and that workers deal with things there own way. In the transport industry and the company i worked for for 14years, workers would often "fall over" between the parked trucks.

lucky in a way that the gay guy, the arab and the transgender were never targeted for such behaviour. but others have been.

The worst part is it comes down to who "saw" what happened theese days.
ie. we had a guy steeling from our cars and he "fell over" between the trucks (many times) when he complained the bosses said prove it.. all the guys involved were "playing cards" together at the time...
but the law is catching up with the times and the deversity of the work place at long last :)

Janie Gunn
01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Where I used to work we were always getting regular HR training re various issues.
Keli, certainly a more intelligent response than some. And Deja true, the idea of seminar would be the way.

Ladylingerie: Well, If I was the HR person I would reasign them to a position which allows them to work en femme everyday. See...It's a win/win for everyone... Not if another department wouldnt be what the individual was wanting, and just shoving them in another department to keep the complainants happy, thats naive. and
Ashley: or another option
f) Fire the people who complained; If they are uncomfortable with someone crossdressing in the privacy of their own home, they obviously have some serious issues themselves that they need to deal with... But for just complaining they couldnt be sacked! The workplace would need to deal with everyone having a proper understanding.
and
docrobbysherry: When the test question says:

A male employee dresses in female clothes at work. He always dresses in work appropriate female attire. Some employees complain. What should the supervisor do?

Answers:
A. Fire the dressing employee.
B. Fire the complainers.
C. Put the dresser in charge of the complainers.
D. Make the complainers come to work dressed completely in women's attire for one week. Corrections to their makeup and clothing may be made by the dressing employee.
E. Any/all of the above, except A.

And the correct answer is, E!

THEN, I'll feel progress is being made! Huh?!

Its easy to get aggro about people who complain but in a workplace, the right training and employee understanding of company policy is the first step, and even when they disobey company policy, warnings come before firing, and as for humiliation, that is not the answer at all.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Well that's a pleasant surprise
JoAnne Wheeler

Ashlyee Paige
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Fire the person spying on the dressing employee, hell its in the privacy on their own home, how the heck did someone there find out?