PDA

View Full Version : Where to change when on the road?

Little Julie
01-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I was wondering if any of you girls have come up with a good place to change either from boy mode to girl mode or vice versa while traveling. Thanks in advance. Julie

Joy Carter
01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Under dress. Then find a place less traveled to complete the transfomation, in my car. Just be safe what ever you do.

Stephanie Stephens
01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
In your RV:D

Michelle_in_tights
01-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Whenever I go out to buy tights or a leotard and can't wait to put them on I pop into a unisex toilet and slip them on under my clothes. Not sure this would work for a full change but it's not something I'm into. LoL

Little Julie
01-04-2009, 01:15 PM
A unisex rest room sounds good however most fast food resturants have seperate boys and girls. where would one have a good chance of finding one other than a portable (yuk!)

JoAnne Wheeler
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
That is a real good question - had to face the same problem - had to get off the Interstate and find a quiet place - even stopped at a country cemetary !
JoAnne Wheeler

Cristi
01-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I am getting pretty skilled at dressing in the car, though it is quite a pain (especially a small car, like a Miata!) You have to be quite a contortionist to do it sometimes.

The other places are rest areas or large parking lots that are quiet enough that you can step OUT of the car to change and have a bit more room (though more and more rest areas and parking lots have security cameras :eek: )

The last time I went all the way while in a parking lot, I was parked between two cars in a far corner of the lot, but of course some people came to get into the car next to me JUST as I was sitting there in bra/panties/tights and makeup and dropping the forms into my bra!! I scrambled to grab my blouse and hold it in front of myself until they were gone. If they had looked into my car from just a few feet away it would have been quite a shock the them.

I've always been fortunate enough to be able to change at my home... my wife sees me starting many trips dressed and knows that I'll just pull over and change out of my skirt/dress shortly before I get to my destination. Going from femme to drab in a car is MUCH easier than going in the other direction!

I guess that is it for me. Either home, or in the car (or a hotel, of course, when I'm travelling).

Sandra Dunn
01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Check with the states you are traveling in, some have gender laws and it can be very embaressing if not costly. Your vehicle is the best for changing or the unisex restrooms.

Otherwise stay in one mode all the way or do a partial dressing which would require little effort to switch out of.

Myself, I travel all the way in one or the other. I do wear womens jeans, tops and flats anyway. When I go as me, all dolled up, I use the appropiate facilities. If it's work related I try to go early so I can go out as me once there or stay after the others leave and go as me.

Remember "Attitude" HUGS Sandra

Karren H
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Family or unisex restrooms .. All the new interstate rest areas have them. I take a small tote with evwrything ii need.. Walk in male and 20 minutes come out female.. Its a hoot and get a few stares from some of the staff where I routinley change

Nicki B
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Check into a hotel...

Sara Jessica
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I use a Supergirl Changing Booth which I step into a guy and come out a girl in all of about 5 seconds.

Oh wait, that is just a dream and is actually what I call my car. I don't have the luxury of being able to get ready and depart from home and I'm way too cheap to get a hotel room every time I want to go out so I have to make the best of things on the fly. I've managed to find some pretty safe and secure locations in pretty much every direction I could possibly go. Either way though, it's best to keep your head on a swivel and the keys in the ignition, just in case. Change quickly and never be right next to another car!!!

Eva Marie
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I think it's already been established that there's not a good, cheap, convenient way to execute this maneuver. My preference is what I refer to as my "ambiguity mode". The wardrobe consists simply of slacks, flats, blouse or sweater that's loose enough (you know for what . . .), and , if the weather permits, a mid- or full length coat, like a rain coat. Go lightly on the cosmetics, and that just leaves the wig. And, there are some wig designs that also are rather "ambiguitous". And, you'll be looking like 80 percent of women traveling (or better).

Aneline
01-05-2009, 01:33 AM
In my car. I put my wig on first and work my way down from there, squirming as necessary to get into a skirt. Makeup last. Only done this once though, I thought high heels were only hard to walk in, hah, try working brake/accelerator with heels on..

Danielle

cindym5_04
01-05-2009, 03:06 AM
I've either underdressed or had a bag with clothes on me and pulled over into a remote parking spot in a shopping center. I've also gone into the men's room at a gas station and another time, I've slipped quietly into the ladies room and changed (it was away from the gas pumps and not monitored and a single-only one). I've also changed in a stall in the men's room at a few rest stops...those were actually kind of exciting.

Sally2005
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Around here, your car is considered a public place. You have to make sure any time you change in a public place that no one can be disturbed by seeing you half naked since that might result in a complaint to police or something...

I tend to dress at home and overdress with baggy male clothes, hat and sunglasses which makes for an almost instant swap. In the car, a reclining seat is a huge help. Find a dark, quiet parking garage where you can watch the exits. The idea of using an RV is great...you can bring everything and even wash up after. I tried port-a-pots but people tend to line up if you take too long. Also once tried a unisex bathroom in a doctor's office building on a quiet floor which worked well other than the stress factor.

marny
01-05-2009, 05:11 AM
i FIND IT IS EASIER TO START EN FEMME AND IF ANY ONE ISN'T SURE JUST SMILE. THEY ALL BACK OFF. :hugs:

So Sorry. I Hadn't read the troubles some of you go through and I didn't mean to belittle it.I'm so sorry. I feel your pain. Marny

xdress2lady
01-05-2009, 05:28 AM
I have only gone out once but i did almost exactly what Sally did here Quote "I tend to dress at home and overdress with baggy male clothes, hat and sunglasses which makes for an almost instant swap"

I dressed in absolute everything at home and used a large hooded sweater and big baggy pants to cover everything. The good part about a hood, it covered the wig and my face from my neighbors as I left and returned home. :heehee:

Also, when I was 19, I was traveling and living in my car while looking for work. I would use large blankets and hang them from the dry cleaning hooks above the doors. That would cover the windows and then no one could see me getting dressed for my interviews. I even did this trick at 9am at a busy highway rest stop and never had an issue. I had a station wagon so sometimes I had too many windows to cover. When that happened I would park with the uncovered windows unable to be seen by others. (back of the lot)

hope that helps.

Josie

KateSpade83
01-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I do changes in the back of my minivan anywhere! There rear windows are black tinted of course, and no one has caught me!

Sarah Martin
01-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Under dress. Then find a place less traveled to complete the transfomation, in my car. Just be safe what ever you do.

Me too. Back seat of the car and somewhere quiet/car park are my favourites.

CDPAUL
01-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Mostley in the car ussually just stop for a minute at a time then stop again to do more. Works good when going between towns. Other time have left the house dressed after dark or early in the morning. Sometimes at work i own my own business so after closing just lock the door and change its just getting from the door to the car that requires a big coat

erickka
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
My little Ford Ranger has a nice topper with dark tinted windows. A lot more room than in the cab!!

Little Julie
01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I was hoping for something I didn't think of before. I usually dress at a local transformation studio or home before trips, however I can't this time and I have to leave right from work., so underdressing would be difficult. Not sure what kind of vehicle I will be driving (it will be a rental) I was hoping for a girly kind of vehicle.I thought I read on a post awhile back where a girl said where she changed while on the road and I thought to myself "why didn't I think of that" but now I can't rember where it was or find the post. I have undressed in a car and that isn't too hard, but dressing seems more difficult. Maybe I could hide my undergarments with my coat and do a little underdressing then get dressed enough to sneak into a restroom to finish up. Well thanks girls for all your help and keep think of creative places to change.
Julie

carolinebrookes
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I usually dress at home before venturing out now, but in the past I've gone out partially dressed and completed the job in the car.

Supermarket car parks used to be a favourite but I discovered by accident that the public toilets at the hospital at the end of visiting time were very good. They are spacious and clean. No one ever bothered me and because visiting time was over, there was rarely a soul around. Simply gather up belongings and walk daintily back to the car :)

valenstein
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
When I've had to change in the car, I found a restaurant near me that's small enough to not have bustling traffic, but not so small where I might be the only other car in the lot and it has a wooded area around the parking lot, so it's secluded enough. I've only done this at night though. I do have some general tips are coming to mind:

To be inconspicuous, you could probably fit a change of clothes, makeup and wig into a large laptop case.

If you need to go into a restroom, save some time by bringing the essentials. Leave the heels and bra for the car. I wear clogs a lot, and they work either way.

Bring a lighted mirror and keep a container of wet wipes in the car with a trash bag. Once you've done it enough, foundation is really the only hard part of doing makeup in the car, hence the wet wipes. Honestly, if you do the foundation right in the restroom and cover up enough with a long coat, most people probably won't notice in the time it takes you to get back to your car.

Changing during the day:

An industrial area might be a good place, traffic is usually sparse, just make sure you park in a spot where cars would not be out of place, so you don't appear to be up to something.

If you really want to put the effort in, maybe get to know someone at an area friendly GLBT bar. If they're open during the day, you could arrange to use the ladies room for a few minutes. If they're not open, there's probably somebody there anyways, maybe you could arrange to give them five bucks to let you change. Free income for them, easy and safe for you.

Little Julie
01-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks again everyone for all your input. I have about 6 weeks before this trip and that will give me time to scout around find a unisex bathroom that will work that is on my route. Which brings up a point, I noticed some girls found by mistake places to change. We should always be on the lookout for them and let others know. Someone needs to invent the crossdressers instant pop up dressing tent complete with lighted vanity!
Hugs Julie