PDA

View Full Version : Dressing in Church

wannabie
01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Have any of you dressed for and is a member of a church?

If so what did they have to say about your other self?

how did the rest of the congregation take it?

I remember reading about one from this forum being baptized as her other half. I've always felt that was a bit courageous.

Kim_Bitzflick
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I have dressed several times and attended church but it was not a church where I am a regular member. I must say that I truly enjoyed attending church as Kim.

jennifer41356
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I used to go to a gay Catholic service, though they had to hold their services and a Lutheran church, but still it was fun wearing my nicer dresses and suits, they folks were wonderful...I also hear the Dallas MCC church group is a great place as well

MJ
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Have any of you dressed for and is a member of a church?

If so what did they have to say about your other self?

well nothing because it is an affirming church . in other words they accept any from the GLBTQ .. and treat me as any other woman.

how did the rest of the congregation take it?

everyone as been just fine.. in fact there are other members there from this forum too...

I remember reading about one from this forum being baptized as her other half. I've always felt that was a bit courageous.

well that would be me . and as i went full time i thought why not. the minister was all for it. and he truly understand us .
there were 3 others out at church today.
here are some pictures

Angie G
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
My only problem with dressing and going to church is the going to church part.:hugs:
Angie

Alice Torn
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I would not be allowed on the grounds, if i tried to walk in dressed, as a lady, but in drab, would be welcome. I am not attending at this time, for several personal reasons, besides cding. I have several friends there, and agree with it in most things, because it may disagree with the world, but not condemn people.

Stephanie Kay
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi, girls,

I attend church (Unitarian-Universalist) only as Stephanie. I wanted to find a place where I would only be known as Stephanie and not as Steve. It is quite nice to participate and be accepted as a woman, though I did introduce myself as a TG person. Only two friends there know me as Steve and they don't attend regularly.

Love,
Stephanie

CDPAUL
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
got dressed and drove by a few churches to scared to go in

Denise01
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I was visiting in Boston a couple of years ago and went to a MCC church there with some of my Friends as Denise.

I was welcomed very much, and every one there was quite accepting. and i enjoyed so much being able to go to Church as the real me

Denise

cindym5_04
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
The Catholic church would definitely frown upon going crossdressed. Remember, you'll burn in hell ... well, for just about anything actually. And to think- I actually used to be an altar boy...

JoAnne Wheeler
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
About as far as I have gone is underdressing in church
JoAnne Wheeler

Sandra Dunn
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I am a member of the MCC chruch here in Amarillo, I attend service very regularly, I participate in the services, I am being concidered for a board member position and yes I am a member. I got married in this church this past June.

I am Sandra to the congregation, even on work days.

The fact is since I begin attending as myself I have become closer to my beleifs, a renewed faith. I am thankful for my church family.

HUGS Sandra

Satrana
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I would have thought that churches must be among the safest and potentially most welcoming places to go. If you are a church-goer then I would definitley hunt arround for a progressive chuch and make attendance a cornerstone of appearing in public enfemme. So long as you are respectful you are bound to find a lot of support.

Butterfly Bill
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been attending and singing in the choir of a Episcopal church here in Muskogee for the last two years. Basically what they have said about my attire is: nothing. They believe in accepting people as God made them. I don't attend as an "other self", I told them all my name is Bill and that's what they call me.

Before this I was a member of a Unity church in Lawrence, Kansas.

StaceyJane
01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
One day I would love to show up in my Sunday best.

Karren H
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
My only problem with dressing and going to church is the going to church part.:hugs:
Angie

:iagree:

PamelaTX
01-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm a elder in a very conservative church, one that does not permit women to be clergymen or elders. Of course, I always underdress in bra and panties when I have to conduct part of the service. Ha ha.

Even in churches such as mine I can't imagine there should be anything wrong with attending en femme. There's nothing sinful about it. Of course there are always a few trouble-makers who believe that anything they don't like is a sin, but they can be dealt with. If you feel like there might be a problem, you could always speak to an elder about it. You might be surprised at what he says! :D

LeannL
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I have gone to Catholic mass on numerous occasions without a problem. For me, the overwhelming reason to do so was to pray to God to help me understand why he made me the way he did. I am comfortable with who I am but now am searching for the purpose behind God making me this way. That is, what is God's mission for me as a CD?

The "good" thing about the Catholic church is that Mass doesn't present many situations where there is interaction between the attendees. I had one basic rule when going dressed. If I was a distraction, I would leave and go to a later mass. This happened twice. Once, a bunch of teenagers read me and kept turning around to look at me. I felt I wasn't there to keep them from worshiping. So I was gone ASAP. This rule meant that I typically sat towards the back and off to the side. Now I did get a few people checking me out as I walked back from communion but it was generally men and I know I check out the ladies when they walk back to their seat. So I don't know if this was the "normal" checking or if I was being read. Through a couple of years of going dressed, no one ever said anything including the priest as I was leaving. I have attended probably 7 to 10 different churches a total of 30-40 times over the years without incident.

Melora
01-06-2009, 06:40 AM
I would REALLY LOVE to go to a church and see what The Holy crowed thought of Lil'Ol Me..
I acctually might try it as my First time out.. I MIGHT Be Accepted Maybe!!!!
Katie

Eileen
01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Eileen attends church fairly regularly, without incident. On one occasion a young teen age boy gave me his seat. Once, I did ask a Priest, I know, if it was okay to atten mass and he said certainly.

Eileen

WendyJ
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I once went to a Catholic Church (other than my own at the time) and was appropriately dressed for a woman of my age. However, I got made by some middle-aged burly man who kept staring at me and giving me dirty looks. Boy did I feel I was going to be a victim of a hate crime for sure. He was in front of me and kept turning around like he was going to jump on me an kick my you know what. A few times he started to stand up and his wife was holding him down.
I became real scared and quietly left in the back and ran to my car and drove off ripping off my wig, earrings, forms and taking napkins to wipe my makeup off my face. That was about 12 years ago and only went out one more time since then. It was a great experience but I decided to end my going out primarily for what happened or almost happened at church

Christina Nicole
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
The Catholic church would definitely frown upon going crossdressed. Remember, you'll burn in hell ... well, for just about anything actually. And to think- I actually used to be an altar boy...

Actually, no. The Catholic Church has no teaching about crossdressing one way or another. It is not at all mentioned in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which I own the latest revision, or any other document that I have referenced. A priest also told me that it is not a sin. However, if crossdressing leads a Catholic to a sin, then it would be a sin. For example, dating men while crossdressed could be a problem while just having dinner out while crossdressed would not.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

ShannonDragon
01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
We also have a JMCC in Indianapolis that I go to on an every other week basis. I am not the only dresser there. At least 2 others show up at the same service. We know each other as we are all members of IXE.

The second service has others of us but I do not know any of them. None of us have any problems and participate fully.

AmandaM
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Uh, I'm a Baptist, so no.

wannabie
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Eileen attends church fairly regularly, without incident. On one occasion a young teen age boy gave me his seat. Once, I did ask a Priest, I know, if it was okay to atten mass and he said certainly.

Eileen

I have dressed several times and attended church but it was not a church where I am a regular member. I must say that I truly enjoyed attending church as Kim.

Do you think that you like attending church as enfemme because your feminine side is more spiritual?

:iagree:

Oh Boo!!! what is that supposed to mean?

MarcieM
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
strictly my opinion on this:
If you can't put the cd-ing on the back burner for an hour or two while you go to church, something is wrong. IMHO, it's very disrespectful to the rest of the people there and to God. enough said.

Christinedreamer
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Firstr I think it is hilariously ironic for a catholic church to tell someone they would not be welcomed if dressed en femme. especially when the prists wear layer upon layer of lacey gowns! (ok, robes)

I belong to the Whittier MCC in Whitter Ca. As all MCCs we welcome everybody no matter what gender expression they use or how they are dressed.

I am one of the straight folks in the church and am heavily involved.

We once had Troy Perry (founder of the MCC) as a guest preacher. When he was introduced to me he was more surprised that I was straight! He never saw the other me (as in the avatar). MCCs welcome any faith, creed, gender expression, and sexuality. No walls. They concentrate on the REAL meaning and teachings, not the theo-political claptrap.

And feel free to bring your SO.

Come dressed! You will be celebrated not just tolerated!

Kim_Bitzflick
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Do you think that you like attending church as enfemme because your feminine side is more spiritual?

I think in general that I am very spiritual whether en femme or not. But I do feel more comfortable as Kim. When attending en femme, I have not had anyone say anything bad or give me dirty looks. All I get are genuine smiles & hello's. And when I'm there and when I'm at home I keep praying to God to show me the path he intends for me as a CD'er.

joann07
01-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I've gone to Catholic mass several times, including the past two Sundays,
and I've received communion every time. Not once has anyone ever treated me any differently or said anything. Everytime I go, people are just as kind and courteous as they are when I'm there as my guy self.
Before, I didn't go to church very much, but now that I love dressing up it makes going fun again.
There are two churches I normally go to and there were instances where I've, kind of, crossed paths with people I know, but in each case they never recognized me.

Hugs!

Phoebe Reece
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I have never attended Church services en femme. Someday I probably will, but not at the Church I am a member of. I am in a prominent position of volunteer (lay) leadership and am too well known there, as is my wife. It is a very conservative Methodist Church. If I were to be outed at that Church my wife might just give me an involuntary sex change with a dull butcher's knife.

Interestingly enough though, two transgendered individuals recently started attending my Church. One of them came dressed in a nice pantsuit, full makeup, wig, etc. for one of the services. Although none of the regular members figured it out, my wife and I spotted her pretty quickly. Since that one time she has only been back in drab (although with occasional eye makeup and femme earrings) and has even joined the choir. I suspect one of the more observant staff members (or perhaps the Sr. Pastor) has said something that is discouraging her from dressing for the services. She has a friend that is also transgendered that I think may be on hormones. That one has never come to services dressed particularly femme - somewhat androgynous would be the best description. She's fairly thin (almost anorexic) and last Sunday was clearly wearing a bra under a thin t-shirt. She also was trading and applying lipstick with another friend (who I think was actually female) during the service.

I hope those two continue to attend our services and become full members. It will help bring some understanding of the TG community to some of our older, more deeply conservative members.

Wendrme
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
As a Catholic I have never attended service as a woman. I would dearly love to, but can't bring myself to do so. I have often dreamed about wearing my Sunday best to Mass and listening to the click clack of my heels on the marble floor and wearing a wide hat with a veil and long white gloves. It would be so wonderful to kneel there with my breasts resting on the top of the pew in front of me.

nikitataylor0210
01-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I've gone to a catholic church a couple of times, not during mass of course, one time, a priest gave me a big smile and said hello, so I guess i 'passed' :)

goofus
01-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Although I go to a very liberal church (Unitarian Universalist) that is officially welcoming of GLBT people, I have gone there as a guy for years, so if I showed up one Sunday crossdressed it would cause an incredible stir. So I like Kim's idea of dressing up and attending a church where I'm not a regular member :)

MarcieM
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Can you explain what's going on here? Why don't you join a different church? Or do you enjoy the masochism of being criticised/misunderstood? Or do you really think that cross-dressing is a sin and you're trying to give it up? (But if so, why come on this website?)

Help me understand.
How about - There's a time and place for everything.
Church ain't the time or place for cd-ing. It's pretty simple.

AmandaM
01-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm really puzzled by some of the answers on this thread -- I mean the ones that say: "I couldn't go to church dressed, because my church doesn't approve of it". (Amanda, Lucille, Pamela...)

Can you explain what's going on here? Why don't you join a different church? Or do you enjoy the masochism of being criticised/misunderstood? Or do you really think that cross-dressing is a sin and you're trying to give it up? (But if so, why come on this website?)

Help me understand.

I would go to church crossdressed if I was a transsexual. But, as a CDer, nah. Too many questions. Some would accept, some would not. Baptists are diverse in their opinions. Changing churches? Maybe, but trust is important with me in regards to preachers/priests.

Annemarie
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Well... has anybody been to church dressed and been thrown out or excommunicated ?

Stlalice
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
As a member of and having served on the Board of Directors at Metropolitan Community Church of Greater St. Louis I would encourage anyone that feels the need to worship enfemme to join us or any MCC for worship. This also holds for many UCC churches - I attended Christmas Eve services at Epiphany UCC in St. Louis due to MCCGSL being in rental quarters and not having a service this year due to scheduling problems. Despite it being my first time there I was made welcome and the service was beautiful.

If you are curious about how MCC in general views the whole question of transgender the link below is to a sermon from an MCC church pastor that explores both transgender and the acceptance there of. Well worth your time to download and listen to - is is long - about a half hour (15 MB in MP3 format) but worth the time to listen to.

http://www.jesusmcc.org/listen/archives/category/transgender

ShannonDragon
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
If anyone lives in or near Indianapolis and would like to attend church dressed and not be thought of as weird or feel out of place, seriously check out this website http://www.jesusmcc.org/

I have been going here for about a year or so as Shannon and have never felt bad about doing so.

You leave for home feeling uplifted.

Christina Nicole
01-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Firstr I think it is hilariously ironic for a catholic church to tell someone they would not be welcomed if dressed en femme. especially when the prists wear layer upon layer of lacey gowns! (ok, robes)

It doesn't. That's simply incorrect that the Church would "tell someone they would not be welcomed if dressed en femme." The Catholic Church has no teaching whatsoever regarding crossdressing and transsexualism. All Catholic Churches must teach as laid out by the Magisterium. Priests and pastors are not free to makeup their own teaching based upon their own ideas, feelings, or what they perceive from the Bible.

Well... has anybody been to church dressed and been thrown out or excommunicated?

No, you cannot be excommunicated for something is that not a sin. Crossdressing is not regarded to be sinful. Simple as that.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Joni T
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I have been to church a couple of times en femme, but not to "my" church (Presbyterian). I have attended services at the MCC church in Santa Ana, Ca. as "Joni" and was very warmly welcomed each time. My gay brother-in-law lives with my wife and myself and I (Joni) got him interested in going to the MCC church. He's been going to it regularly and has become a member of the congregation. More than once or twice I've mentioned to my wife that I wanted to accompany her brother to church and she said that if I wanted to go with him, it's fine with her. Boy, do I love my wife or what?
Just wanted to share with you all.
Luv Ya
Joni

wannabie
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I've found a catholic church in downtown Manhattan that is accepting to Trangendered and CD's alike, but I haven't gone in enfemme yet. and I don't know why.

Two things stopping me is

1) I'm not catholic.
2) I need a push and I haven't anyone pushing me.

I know, "Lame..." but I guess I need that encouragement to get me started.

way I grew up churches are considered sacred places. I know crossdressing isn't a sin but I'm guess I'm just afraid of not being I don't know I guess the word is feminine enough.

Stupid reason I know, but its my stupid reason.

PUSHMEPLEASE!!

LeannL
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
way I grew up churches are considered sacred places. I know crossdressing isn't a sin but I'm guess I'm just afraid of not being I don't know I guess the word is feminine enough.

Church is a sacred place. If you were to go to church dressed as a show girl to simply draw attention to yourself and disrupt Mass, then it would be wrong to go. If you go as the person you believe you are, then you will not show disrespect to the sacredness of the place. As I have said in other posts, I have gone many times and I usually pray to God saying that I accept that he made me the way I present and asking for him to let me know why and what I am supposed to do with this "talent".

Leann

PretzelGirl
01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I've found a catholic church in downtown Manhattan that is accepting to Trangendered and CD's alike, but I haven't gone in enfemme yet. and I don't know why.

Two things stopping me is

1) I'm not catholic.
2) I need a push and I haven't anyone pushing me.

I know, "Lame..." but I guess I need that encouragement to get me started.

Stupid reason I know, but its my stupid reason.

PUSHMEPLEASE!!

Huh? You are debating with yourself about going to catholic church dressed and you aren't catholic? There is an easy answer, don't go. Churches aren't for us to go test the waters, they are for partaking of your faith. There certainly are plenty of places to go out to. Now if you are thinking about converting, then that is another thing, but I am not reading that in your message.

Christina Nicole
01-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree with what LeannL and Sue_CD wrote. However, if you feel that something sacred that you had when growing up is now missing from your life and you are truely and honestly interested in Catholicism, then there is nothing inherently wrong with going to that church. The only issue in how you represent yourself is that you present yourself respectfully.

You may wish to look at some Catholic web site to see what it is all about. http://catholiceducation.org, http://www.ewtn.com, and http://www.catholic.org

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

wannabie
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Churches aren't for us to go test the waters, they are for partaking of your faith. There certainly are plenty of places to go out to. Now if you are thinking about converting, then that is another thing.

I'm not testing the waters. I really want to go as who I am but there's just too much pounded into me from when i was younger. the thing is that catholic church was the only one I can find in the area where no one knows me. I'm still in the closet you can say.

marla01
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I go to church as Marla all the time. The church is Unitarian Universalist (UU) and I find them quite accepting. I would also note that the church actively supports the GLBT community.

If you are looking for a church that is absent in dogma, openminded, loving and accepting, you could do a lot worse than UU.

Marla