PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of crossdressing?

Byllie
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Simple as that. I've listed what I see as the various definitions used by forum members. If I haven't listed your definition, my apologies, and please post a reply to this thread.

trannie T
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Each one of us is unique. Each brings a different motivation and desired outcome to our activity.

Karren H
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Not wearing male clothing...

Byllie
01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
OK, call me pedantic, but "what I like doing" isn't the same as how I define crossdressing.

I define crossdressing as wearing the clothes of the opposite sex, for whatever reason. Whether I personally prefer to do that once a month or 24 hours a day has nothing to do with the definition. So in fact I lied in the poll and gave answer no.1. Slap my wrist.
Katie, you didn't lie. You simply gave that definition that reflects how you live.

Mirani
01-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Now .. a problem.

Today I want to BE a woman.
Yesterday I wanted to dress as a woman and be accepted as a woman.
Tomorrow . . . well .. back to living asa woman (as I have done for some months now).

So, I havent ticked a box!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
You left out of your choices - "all of the above" - that's what I want to be !
Love,
JoAnne Wheeler

Nicki B
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Crossdressing is surely what one does (whether M2F or F2M) - not why? :strugglin

I call myself trans, or transgender, because it seems to have more meaning as to who I am?

Dragster
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
All the first three apply to me, but I can't tick all 3. I've ticked the first, because that's all I've actually done, but I sure want the next two, and no more.

Tony

Sammy777
01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
I guess you could have better called it:
"What I want [or get] out of crossdressing"

1] I like to wear women's (feminine) clothing.
2] I want to dress like a woman, part-time.
3] I want to dress and pass as a woman, part-time.
4] I want to dress as a woman full-time.
5] I want to live as a woman full-time.
6] I want to be a woman.
7] Something else to me.

Well I guess if you didn't at least do #1 you would not be here, lol
You can say that #1 & 2 are about the same, if you think about it.
I think most here would like to have #3 at some point.
Again, #4 & 5 are pretty much the same, aren't they?
Although some can say #5 & 6 are close too, but with different endings.
And well #7 covers everything else.

All good, but I think an expanded meaning of them would work better.

bobi jean
01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I voted "SOMETHING ELSE TO ME". Mostly because I have at one point or another wanted each or all of the above. To me crossdressing does not need to be defined, it is just what I do, If you call wearing MY OWN CLOTHING crossdressing. Just because most of them were supposedly designed for the female gender does not mean I can not wear them if I so desire, AND I DO.

Kelsy
01-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Crossdressing is surely what one does (whether M2F or F2M) - not why? :strugglin

I call myself trans, or transgender, because it seems to have more meaning as to who I am?

The term crossdressing only intails the wearing of the opposite genders clothing! I feel, for me it is much more. I would go with transgender!

Kelsy

Nigella
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
...I call myself trans, or transgender...

I call myself Nigella :D

CherylAnne
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I voted for wearing the clothes. I still do the stuff around the house that guys are supposed to do, it would just be more fun in a skirt and heels. BTW, my first post or reply as a member.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I ticked the "Other" box

*hugs*

Zara

Jenniferpl
01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Ah to be feminine, girly. Nothing better than that. Well, ok, but that would be for different type of site.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd like to wear women's clothes all the time if I could, but not sure of my courage level yet. The opportunity may be opening up for me to do just that, but not sure in my mind if I should go for the opportunity or consider counseling to clarify what I really want. In my mind, I feel that I am more feminine than male, I don't feel as if I'm trapped in a man's body, but still would like to be out full-time if I could. I don't know if I make sense but I think some of you here know what I mean. Kimberly :battingeyelashes:

Veronica 1
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I had to go with number one. I underdress with panties, hose, bra, and cami's and wear fem jeans every day. I only go all out with wig and makeup seldom but love it when I do. For me it is the clothes and the way that they fit and feel.

Jennifer Marie P.
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Not wearing one ounce of male clothing.

Carole Cross
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
My goal is to be a woman, so that is rhe box I ticked. So far, however, I have only started going out so my immediate goal is to get better at passing and increase my wardrobe. :heehee:

Fallen Angel
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I think its what ever makes you feel good.
Crossdressing can be fron just simply a coat of polish or full dressing.Every one has there own Ideas about the subject but enjoy all the posibilities.

BlUeDrAgOn
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess CDing is a little complicated to define. There are times when I would love to be a complete woman from top to bottom. Other times, I feel satisfied wearing lingerie under my male clothing. And other times I'm comfy with jeans and t-shirt (specially when I have to work around the house doing man stuff). I guess it depends on the mood. I believe it's a very volatile condition, at least for me. Perhaps that's why it's very complicated to explain to other people.

Rachaelb64
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I would like to get the best out my two halves........:)

Nicki B
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I guess CDing is a little complicated to define.

I disagree? Surely, it just means wearing the clothes of the opposite sex (or, in the case of political crossdressing (http://liberation.typepad.com/liberation/2006/08/political_cross.html), the opinions of the opposing party)?

The contentious bit is why - that's where it gets complicated.

VeronicaMoonlit
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Exactly, as I put it sometimes , "crossdressing is a symptom, not the thing itself", like how a stuffy nose or a cough is a symptom of a cold.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

Nicki B
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
You heard me sneezing over there?

:hiding:

Fiona Lindum
01-08-2009, 08:06 AM
In my case I just like wearing women's clothing. There is so much chioce in both styles and fabric. Different to that of boring old men's clothes.

Nadia-Maria
01-08-2009, 08:18 AM
At the moment, about 80% of all respondents answered either one of the first three options, essentially meaning they crossdress part time.

As Samantha already noticed, those 3 options are very close and moreover I believe most of time they can't be easily discriminated.

So that the most significative results of the poll are at the moment :

- 80% are part time CDers
- 13% are full time or want to be full time
- 7% don't know or didn't understand the question or didn't want to answer.

Angie G
01-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm part time And dress a lot but wish foe more f only I could.Between work and family it ain't happening.:hugs:
Angie

Tasha McIntyre
01-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Option 1 for me - but this is the year I am going to try for option 3, to try and pass (part time). Just need a truckload of courage and I'm on the way :daydreaming:

Satrana
01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
A interesting poll which appears to show the CD community is split in half between those who understand the dressing is the main behavior and emulation as being an additional step beyond that, and those who believe emulation is automatically included in the definition of crossdressing.

Christina Horton
01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
I voted I would love to live as a woman full time but i know that won't ever happen?

Jilmac
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not saying how I voted but I believe I fit well into the first three catagories. I love wearing women's clothes, I love dressing part time, and I love dressing and passing part time. Crossdressing has ice fishing beat hands down for my hobby of choice.:tongueout

Sammy777
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
In my mind, I feel that I am more feminine than male, I don't feel as if I'm trapped in a man's body, but still would like to be out full-time if I could. I don't know if I make sense but I think some of you here know what I mean.

Yes, I very much can identify with what you are saying.

Although I seem to find myself sitting about 50/50 on the male/female fence I do tend to slightly swing more towards the female side lately.
Could be because of here, lol, or because maybe I am just becoming more comfortable with myself & who I am.

If you would have asked 6 months ago what I am [Male-Female-Angrogyne] I would have said Male without even blinking, Not today, lol.

It seems us middle of the road people basically can't be happy being 100% Male but know being 100% Female is not the answer either. So we do what we can to be both in our own different little ways.

Sorry for rambling & slightly [in only for a bit] Hi-Jacking the thread. :D

Nicki B
01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
7% don't know or didn't understand the question or didn't want to answer.

Are any of these explanations that likely?? :strugglin

Surely there is also the possibility that some didn't feel the options offered expressed a definition they were comfortable with?

Those who don't know or don't want to answer surely wouldn't vote in the first place? And those who didn't understand the question could possibly have voted for any option..

Satrana
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Dressing for the outside world would explain option 3 (and others) and would tie in with all the passion some of us feel for 'passing' and going out in public as often as practical.

I agree that would be one good correlation for those who include emulation as intrinsic to crossdressing. The reasons I can think of are:

Too nervous/psychologically unprepared to present as a man in a dress in public so choosing the easier and more acceptable idea of emulating a woman.
Wanting to always fulfill the ultimate fantasy of being a woman.
Dissatisfaction with a man in a dress look due to homophobic feelings
Wanting to experience the social role of women which a man in a dress would exclude them from.
Wanting to perfect the look - striving for perfection in the project of female emulation.
Replicating the look of the only role models available - women
An intermediary phase for TS and full-time TG not yet realizing the depth of their transgenderism.

Kate Simmons
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Mode notwithstanding, it really depends entirely on self-perception.:)

TGMarla
01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I chose number three, that I want to dress and pass as a woman part-time. However, that is my reality. My wish is that I were really a woman.