PDA

View Full Version : Social Paradox

Lainie
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
We want to be more like girls, right? Maybe the most important part of being feminine to GGs is being in touch with a network of friends.
So do you find that CDing enhances your social network, or does it just push you into isolation, away from human interaction?

Mitch23
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
good question - have a large and expanding circle of supportive friends both RGs and crossdressers. I have always believed that when dressed I should be out and about in the community and do so whenever possible

mitch

TommiTN
01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Both. My network of friends who don't know about my CDing has shrunk significantly from lack of upkeep in the last few months. But my network of TG friends is growing since I joined this forum and a support group.

AmandaM
01-12-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a lot of female friends, one guy friend, and only know CDers here.

Shikyo
01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I've always had hard time to make new friends. I barely have had any good male friend anyway, most of my friends are and are going to be female. Somehow I just cannot cope with males as well as I can with females.
Most of my life I've only been satisfied by few friends(Real Life). Over the internet I've spend a lot more time with a lot more people I'd call friends. Sadly, most of these people live way too far from me, so it does not really make a difference for my actual real life.

Karren H
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
My network of friends has actually grown some as I've gotten back into playing hockey big time.. I don't really understand why it would? Like I would intentionally push male friends away because I crossdress and embrase female friends more? Friends are friends, no matter what clothing I wear.. ... In my humble opinion...

JoAnne Wheeler
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Really good observation - if by social contacts, you mean all of the sisters on this website, the we really do expand our social life, but if you don't mean that, then I believe that we are isolated
JoAnne Wheeler

Joanne f
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I would say that for a number of reasons Cding has pushed me into total isolation as far a social networking is concerned

Carole Cross
01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I have never had morwe than two or three close friends but in a past job, working in a bowling centre, there were a lot of GGs working there and I got on well with most of them. I was happier in that job probably more than any other and if it wasn't for the pay and unsociable hours, I would probably still be there.
I have recently joined a local TG group and met some of them on new years eve and the were really friendly, so it looks like I may have made some more friends. I am going to meet some of them again on Friday so I can det to know them better and maybe arrange a shopping trip or something. :D

Ann D Bluebird
01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I've seen the process at work in me.... but this site, plus (moreso) joining up on Facebook (as my public male self) has really helped me feel part of a social network, and express my sociable side though face to face I'm often shy. And of course I am not going to retreat from old friendships for the sake of time dressing...
More generally I have found subtle fem dressing a good way of going out, and staying comfortably dressed. It even seems to boost my social confidence somehow.....

Angel.Marie76
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I've been slowly sneaking out of the closet with once circle of friends in my life, and in respect to that, the reason I've been coming out to them is because I felt they would be supportive, and my goodness I couldn't ask for anything better for the most part. Do I feel like any of them have pulled away yet? Not to my knowledge. Heck, my GGfriends want to take me out shopping with them desperately! *rolls eyes*

As for meeting new friends, besides on places like here on the board, I've started going to a support group for TG folks, and have, you could say, befriended them as well. I know that there are several events in Massachusetts (as well as around the US) that allow TG/LBGT/etc folks to meetup and network. I'd say that's a great example of social construction if I've ever seen one!

Kate Simmons
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
It depends on the person really. If one controls the CDing, friends are usually not a problem. If, on the other hand, the CDing controls us, it can lead to isolation.

beenherelongtime
01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
away

tricia_uktv
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Definately enhances. I've got a whole new social group now. Actually two. One on-line and one in the real world.