PDA

View Full Version : Flying en femme -- hats?

wendiwoman
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
I've been reading all of the posts about flying en femme, and I am ready to try it (within US - SFO to LAS). But I have one concern based on some comments in previous posts.

I never wear a wig, since I have long hair down to my shoulders. But the same genes that gave me this thick wavy mane also took it all away at the crown of my head. Yep... a big bald spot right in the middle. So, I've incorporated hats into my wardrobe, and always wear one.

A couple of posters mentioned having to remove their hats when going through security. Of all of the potential embarrassments that I've considered, this would be the worst.

Can any ladies comment on whether or not they have been asked to remove their hats when going through security?

Incidentally, I spend more than half of my life en femme, but I am not naive... most people read me as genetic male. I just generally don't care.

Thanks,
Wendi

renee k
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Wendi,

Just to answer your question in a general sort of way. As one who goes through airport security check points on a regular basis, and has a uniform hat to go with my uniform. The said hat comes off my head and goes through the x-ray machine along with my shoes and belt. If you haven't guessed by now I'm an airline pilot, just keep this under your hat! LOL!!

Huggs, Renee

JoAnne Wheeler
01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Well - there you have it -- who better to give you the answer than Renee
JoAnne Wheeler

Princess29
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I work in airport security and we always get people to take their hats off

wendiwoman
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
The said hat comes off my head and goes through the x-ray machine along with my shoes and belt.

Thanks for the reply, but it compels another question. Do you doff your hat because you are required to, or just because, like most of us, you've gotten used to simply shedding everything at the checkpoint? To put it another way... If you kept your hat on, would the screener ask you to remove it?

Wendi

wendiwoman
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I work in airport security and we always get people to take their hats off

Thanks for the reply. I notice, though, that you are in Australia. Do you know if the same applies in the US?

Wendi

renee k
01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, but it compels another question. Do you doff your hat because you are required to, or just because, like most of us, you've gotten used to simply shedding everything at the checkpoint? To put it another way... If you kept your hat on, would the screener ask you to remove it?

Wendi

Hi Wendi,

Things are different in todays world. I'm sure you've noticed. Believe me they would ask you to remove it (hat), along with your shoes. I would be deeply disturbed if they did not.

Huggs, Renee

Jenny J
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi Wendi,

Things are different in todays world. I'm sure you've noticed. Believe me they would ask you to remove it (hat), along with your shoes. I would be deeply disturbed if they did not.

Huggs, Renee

Renee-

I'm truely shocked to find you still wear your hat! :brolleyes: We gave ours up years ago and I think mine is buried under god knows what in that closet I no longer occupy. What other little secrets do you have?

Actually, it's one less thing we have to remove going through screening but now I don't have a place to put all my other junk to be screened.

But to answer the Wendi's question, yes just about everythng comes off; jackets, shoes, hats, belts. It's air travel in the new millennium.

Jen

:rose2:

DanaNewGirl
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
If one has to remove a hat, how do they feel about wigs? To me it's essentially the same thing, something to cover the head.

DanaNewGirl

renee k
01-14-2009, 12:03 AM
If one has to remove a hat, how do they feel about wigs? To me it's essentially the same thing, something to cover the head.

DanaNewGirl

It's alittle tough to hide a gun or explosives in a wig, unless it's a bee-hive hairdo. Although we did have a passenger on one of our Lima flights hide a monkey in his hair.

Huggs, Renee

Renee-

I'm truely shocked to find you still wear your hat! :brolleyes: We gave ours up years ago and I think mine is buried under god knows what in that closet I no longer occupy. What other little secrets do you have?

Actually, it's one less thing we have to remove going through screening but now I don't have a place to put all my other junk to be screened.

But to answer the Wendi's question, yes just about everythng comes off; jackets, shoes, hats, belts. It's air travel in the new millennium.

Jen

:rose2:

Well Jen, I guess I'm OLD SCHOOL, with the hat thing! Their optional at our place. My secret is out of the closet!! HA! HA!

Huggs, Renee

Princess29
01-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I notice, though, that you are in Australia. Do you know if the same applies in the US?

Wendi

I'm sorry Wendi, I dont know. There are some differences from country to country. For example, its not mandatory to remove your shoes before going through a metal detector where I work, we only get people to remove them after they set off the machine or if can tell that the shoes are likely to set off the metal detector from previous times similar shoes have done so.

wendiwoman
01-14-2009, 03:49 AM
It's alittle tough to hide a gun or explosives in a wig, unless it's a bee-hive hairdo. Although we did have a passenger on one of our Lima flights hide a monkey in his hair.

Huggs, Renee
This really does demonstrate the silliness of it all. The hat I had on today is not much more than a round piece of cloth that sits on my head. If I put a AAA battery under it, you would notice.

Wigs, on the other hand, even with contemporary styling, could disguise much.

And for those who question the very idea of a modern girl wearing a chapeau, let me state firmly that I have never been accused of lacking style! <G>

Thanks to all who shared their experiences.

Wendi

Shikyo
01-14-2009, 05:06 AM
I've been asked to remove a bandana, which I occasionally use to keep my hair out of the way. As you probably guessed, the bandana is rather close to the head, so that there would not really be any space under it, but nevertheless did they want me to remove it.

I highly doubt you could get anywhere with your hat on, I'm rather sure they'll always ask you to remove it.

Paula Siemen
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Huggs, Renee

I would guess that is some what better than a MONKY on YOUR BACK ?????

TxKimberly
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I fly a lot, and fly "dressed" quite a bit. They WILL make you remove the hat. It's not a "they might thing", or the "they can" thing - it is a 100% certainty that you WILL be made to remove the hat.
They will NOT ask you to remove your wig. I've flown dressed now over a dozen times and I've only had one small moment of excitement (http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-j0lNmNw6cqs5qGdUZjN4Qi9AflcLLUt3OA--?cq=1&l=21&u=25&mx=168&lmt=5)when a new TSA agent apparently didn't realize I was a crossdresser and then didn't know what to do with me once I had to make it clear to her. Even then, the only thing that happened was that she called over someone with more experience who asked me if I had any other forms of ID to confirm that I was who I said I was. I showed them my debit card with my pic on it, and that was that.

Ashlyee Paige
01-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok I work for tsa and the rules state you may leave your hat on if you alarm you may have to remove it but you may do so in a private area. You are not required to because some cancer patients wear them also as well as wigs. You may ALWAYS request private screening

wendiwoman
01-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Ok I work for tsa and the rules state you may leave your hat on if you alarm you may have to remove it but you may do so in a private area. You are not required to because some cancer patients wear them also as well as wigs. You may ALWAYS request private screening

Ashlyee,

I'm so glad you chimed in. I had completely resigned myself to the notion that if I flew en femme, I would have to chose between flashing my shiny dome, or getting a wig instead of a hat. Now you seem to have offered a third option.

When I am asked to remove my hat, can I simply say that I would like to leave it on? If I do that, would they allow it without hassle? And if they do allow it and I walk through the scanner without setting off the alarm, would I then be allowed to proceed without further delay? I have no doubt that I could get through the scanner without setting it off.

Wendi

Ashlyee Paige
01-18-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes :> you can just say you would be more comfortable with it on and if you didnt alarm you will be fine :> there is always a chance though that at anytime you may get sent into secondary screening even if you do not alarm due to unpredicatable screening which means that every so often they have to send every X number of people there, but that applies to everyone and wouldnt be because of your hat, you should be fine though just requesting that you keep it on, just be friendly, smile and youll do ok :>

Persephone
01-18-2009, 02:52 AM
This really does demonstrate the silliness of it all.

That "silliness," Wendi, has kept you and millions of others from being blown up for almost eight years now.

I've run into a couple of TSA loose canons (the Detroit airport comes to mind), but most of the time as I go through the system I tell them "Thank You," and I mean it.

wendiwoman
01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Ashlyee... Thanks so much for your insight and help. You're a jewel.

My trip is not until May, but once I go, I'll let you all know what happened.

Wendi

shannonsilk
01-18-2009, 03:15 PM
That "silliness," Wendi, has kept you and millions of others from being blown up for almost eight years now.

Have alook at the article in the December Atlantic magazine.I mean November.

Persephone
01-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Have alook at the article in the December Atlantic magazine.

I did. In two days the opposing team takes the field. Let's see how they do.