PDA

View Full Version : Awkward, somewhat "personal" thing I'd like help with

Thornton
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Ok, so I'm a newbie on this site. I'm also still pretty young. Though I identify as male and have alerted those around me of this, I have not yet gone through the hormone or surgery part of the process...

I don't like to acknowledge it, so, I'll just get it over with and ask. For all you guys out there in similar situations,

How do you deal with having periods?

ZenFrost
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Generally this kind of thread would be much better suited for the Clubhouse, but you're not in there and don't have enough posts ATM so I think if this thread remains decent and doesn't go into tampons/pads etc. (as says in the rules) it can stay here.

To answer your question, my strategy for dealing with the horrible monthlies is to basically ignore them. I try my best to just ignore all the symptoms and pain and mood swings and pretend it's not there. I know denial isn't healthy or whatever but it's all I can do. Being on testosterone for a while helped to taper the symptoms down a bit (FYI mine are excruciating beyond belief, come with horrendous migraines, extreme mood swings, overwhelming fatigue, sudden weight gain and bloating, induce anemia due to how constantly heavy they are, last 8-14 days, and occur 17-20+ times a year irregularly--T knocked all of that down to a more manageable level) but since I went off and am just now restarting I'm back to where I was when I started and it'll most likely take months again for things to taper down.

When I get a period, I do everything I can to not think about it at all, obviously it can't be ignored completely but I try to push my mind to other things constantly so I'm not thinking about the horror of what my body is doing. For those times when I can't pretend it's not there, I try to disassociate myself from my body, objectively see it happening but not considering it to be me.

John
01-15-2009, 01:32 AM
DRUGS!!!

I've got a perscription from my gp so that it dosn't realy happen any more, and when it dose it's minor enough that I can ignore it. (Should be easy to get if you want them. Go to your gp, say their painfull and can you try the pill)

Before that... I didn't deal, I just went slighly to pices each month when I wasn't buisy being doubled over in pain.

Oh, and welcome to the bord, by the way. :D

Thornton
01-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to offend or break any rules, Just, out of the places I am allowed on this site, I didn't know where else to put this.

It's not the pain of them that I'm really worried about. Any pain I have, I usually quell with a couple of Ibuprofen. I guess what I'm really asking is:

how do you deal with the monthly contradiction to what you know you are? How do you avoid the humiliation of possibly leaking through your pants? And, I'd keep asking, but, I apparently cannot go into pads/tampons, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

I've heard about "ignoring it", and tried, but what else can i possibly do?, any of you out there that may have tips.

John
01-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, like I said, if you can get on the pill you don't necaceraly have to ignore it.

ZenFrost
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
There used to be a guy on here who mentioned a visualization technique he used, I know I'm off in my paraphrasing here but basically he'd imagine that he was a knight/warrior and had to do battle with a dragon/monster every month and his period was just his battle wound. It actually helps if your period hurts with this because than you can really imagine it as an injury.

Thornton
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I actually like to avoid all pills as much as possible. I only use Ibuprofen when it gets to the point that I cannot move from the pain.

But that dragon/monster/battle thing is rather...interesting...

mistunderstood
01-16-2009, 12:14 AM
That time of the month is very hard for me. When I know it has come around again is I want to bind and wear my packy more. Then all H*ll brakes for me and I am sick for about three days. I try to just ride it out. I hate it because it reminds me of what I am not.
As far as other problems well I just try out new things like I wear shorts under pants to give extra layer. If you want me to explain more just PM me.

Sheila
01-16-2009, 01:51 AM
soa if I am posting where i shouldn't be is so Zen can you delete this.

There is also the option of the injection .......... u get it every 3 weks and does for most peeps stop the monthly bleed all tog, and also the monthly build up in mood swings, bloating and just feeling yucky ............ it worked for me when I was having horrendous monthlies ..... thankfully the good old menapause has kicked in here and it is a dream for me :) no sweats or raging tempers (sorta works for the kids as well:D)

Felix
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi and welcome :hugs:

I too know of the injection and used to have it. It was very effective and worked for me. It does not work for all guys or women for that matter.

How do I personally deal with the dreaded monthlies?? Well I can't stand having them like most in here but I've learned to deal I guess and quite well although they do make me dysphoric but like I said and this is no concellation at all I have just had to deal with them. Thing is generally speaking its another one of those genetic female things which throughout my life I have learned to deal with and cope with to a greater or lesser degree otherwise I would not have got on with life and probably would have shrivelled up in a ball and hid from the world which really is not my style.

Since going on 'T' I feel a lot easier about the whole thing although it does still make me feel dysphoric at times. The 'T' has all but stopped them now even though I have only had three shots I can not call them 'periods' like I'm used to most definitely not and when I go upto the higher dose hopefully next week that will put a stop to them :) going by what I've experienced previously on the afformentioned injections and what I am experiencing now on the 'T' xx Felix :hugs:

Drake
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I just deal with it. Take an advil and a bunch of calcium to get rid of the pain. For some reason when I experience extreme amounts of pain, I start getting hallucinations and my mind starts messing up bad. Other than that, no mood swings.
Actually, and I need to see if my suspisions are true, I get really horny and my facial hair seems to grow slightly faster during my periods (I get facial hair naturally to an extent.). I am not on T but I suspect this somehow brings up my T levels which is pretty cool. So without the pain, I don't really care about my periods.

Thornton
01-18-2009, 07:36 PM
so what i'm getting is, without using drugs, the only thing i can do is ignore it...:sigh: oh well. I guess I'll just have to do a better job of ignoring the contradiction. though i do like misunderstood's advice of wearing an extra layer. As for Drake, I'm rather jealous of that facial hair growth.

halfman_halfamazing
01-19-2009, 06:12 AM
one way i try to ignore is by getting out.
especially with my girlfriend which is kind of hard for the first three days considering we're in snyc and she has endometriosis.
and when another layer isn't enough, make it a spandex-y stretchy layer.

since i went to private school i discovered that tights..are pretty cool.
i cut off the legs and wear them as shorts over my underwear. to hide it since they do go pretty high i just put on loose boxers.
another note is that i'm a pad not a tamp.

being out helps because there's other stuff going on, you're all geared up down there, and everyone else will see a guy. they won't treat you any differently just because you're on the rag, which is really nice.

now anything about using the mens' room at this time well you got me :idontknow:but i had to recently and it wasn't that hard i just went to the handicap one.

FoxyFriend
01-27-2009, 02:57 AM
GG here, we all have to deal with this even when we don't want to. Hydration and exercise has made my 8 days into 4 days, I don't know that it works for everyone but it sure worked for me.

FF

PS you are a newbie to the site, GG means we were born women and agreed it was the right body for us.

Thornton
01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
well, I must say, I certainly like that last bit of advice.

and yeah, I am still too new to understand "GG". Thanks for helping me out.

SirTrey
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I know someone who takes progesterone daily and she doesn't have periods at all....according to her doctor, this is not harmful or dangerous, and the side effects are minimal...and....she can't get pregnant (this is similar to taking Seasonale or one of the versions of the pill that either eliminates or greatly reduces the number of periods)...I don't personally have this problem, I had a hysterectomy years ago....but, this might be an option you may want to look into....**Trey**

_Alex_
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
My gender issues arent what give me the biggest problem with periods, my obbsessive compulsive disorder is But I guess it doesnt matter why its unbearable, as much as the fact that it is. I talked to my doctor once, and although I didnt go on anything, because I still havent quit smoking, they suggested the pill or shot could help me if I wanted to stop periods.

Till I stop smoking, I just deal with them like other people, and generally, for my gender issues, act as though I don't get them. Unfortunately I know have to go buy girl products myself, as I live away from home. I find tamps better then pads, as, depending on how heavy/light I am at the time, I sometimes totally forget I'm on, as I'm not bleeding out. But I only get cramps generally for one day, so I guess its easier to forget about them when they aren't completely vile.