PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys

Kendra08
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm a M2F CD and I generally spend my time on those boards but I wanted to share a story. I am a teacher and I have a student that is out as a F2M. I was asked by him to cal him a male name about 1 month into the schol year and I never thought twice about doing so. Today he told me most of the teachers refuse to so and he's sick of it, said he's gonna start causing trouble in those classes to piss off those teachers. I suggested he not do that. The point of this is that his bravery has made me take a look at who I am and given me more courage to explore the femme side of me. He thanked me after class one day for being so understanding, I wish I knew a way to thank him because he's definitely helped me. Anyways thats it. Thanks for your time,
Kendra

Thornton
01-15-2009, 05:08 AM
wow, that's actually a really good story...western MA, hm, I'm in eastern

Thinking back to when I came out in High school, I had some supportive people, and some people who kept telling me to break out of my "phase":Angry3: So I kind of know what he's going through.

Is he out to his parents yet? Perhaps a formal letter from his parents and/or a lawyer may be necessary in this situation.

ZenFrost
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Is the name at all androgynous? There's a lot of 'male' names that are actually female names too (Ryan, Kevin, Keagan, Jack, Alex, Cameron, Dan... etc) so if his is one that could apply to both genders he could just say it's a nickname and leave gender out of it (not the most ideal, but it's something I've wound up doing a couple times) or say it stands for the female version, for instance telling someone his nickname is Alex, short for Alexandra.

I know that in itself can make gender dysphoria worse, but as someone who's lived in a very unaccepting place I've had to do that to get people to at least use a better name, even if they wouldn't change pronouns.

HEINEGUY
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for sharin your story with us....I liked it. I feel all warm inside now. :)

jillleanne
02-14-2009, 09:13 PM
You might want to take some time and ask the other teachers what issues they have with his request. I'm betting they cannot come up with any valid statement unless it is personally prejudice. Ask for a professional opinion, not a personal one and remind the other teachers there job is not to judge people but rather teach people, and maybe, even learn a little themselves along the way.
Hugs, Jill

crazy4cheezeits
03-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree with the above post that talking to the other teachers could be a great way to thank him and help him at the same time. Also, I don't know what grade you teach, but in the off chance that the school has a non-discrimination policy that protects people based on gender, the teachers are breaking rules by refusing to call him by his prefered name.