PDA

View Full Version : Smile, don't nod...

Cassia-Marie
01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I had lunch yesterday (in drab, unfortunately, since I was coming from work) with three LOVELY ladies I met on this forum. They were so sweet and gave me TONS of great advice and encouragement. There were several things I had heard before and read about here (but it absolutely never hurts, and is always appreciated, to hear them time-and-time again!) but there was one that I had never heard before:

"Always smile, don't nod. Guys nod. Women just smile."

I have spent a lot of time people-watching at public places and I had never noticed this difference until it was pointed out to me yesterday. And sure enough, as soon as I got to work today, I caught myself nodding a friendly "good morning" to my co-workers. I'M A NODDER! So I have yet another habit to break before I go out in public en femme.

It's such a small detail and it got me thinking about what else I need to be mindful of. What other small details should I be looking out for?

JoAnne Wheeler
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
GOOD ADVICE - I will always remember that
JoAnne Wheeler

Sam-antha
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Don't grin, smile

~Samm

TommiTN
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Our male habits are so hard to break sometimes, especially if we need to maintain a male persona for whatever reasons.

"It's such a small detail and it got me thinking about what else I need to be mindful of. What other small details should I be looking out for?"

Obviously be mindful of your walk. I do OK in heels because they practically force you to take smaller steps but I catch myself walking like a guy sometimes if I'm wearing flats. Keep your arms closer to your hips than you proabably do in guy mode and turn your hands out slightly. Also, GGs use hand gestures and facial expressions in conversation much more than men do. When you sit perch on the surface rather than just plopping down on it the way guys do and be sure to keep your knees together even if you're wearing pants. There a zillion other little things that we can pick up by observation and there are some CDs on feminine deportment available. Obviously the secret is to observe, pratice and internalize. Critiques by other more practiced sisters such as you got are also a great help.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice! Practice!" (apologies to Henny Youngman)

Karren H
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah!! Its amazing how women smile and when they smile.. Took me a long time to master that (mistress that?). But once I did.. I can't stop smiling... When a local CD friend met me for the first time last summer... He walked right up to me in public.. I asked how did you recognize me in drab... "The smile"

:)

JulieK1980
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I never thought about that before, and I think I nod. Hmm I'm thinking I should work on that...:o

Kelsy
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
OMG I'm a nodder!!!! I have observed the GGs and they always smile it is always so sweet. I'll have to correct my abhorant habit!!:D have you observed how men and women differ when they stand when it's a bit chilly outside!!? women stand legs clamped together with their arms folded under their breasts. and men stand with hands in pockets kind of slouchy!!:heehee:
check it out

Kelsy:)

Cassia-Marie
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
have you observed how men and women differ when they stand when it's a bit chilly outside!!? women stand legs clamped together with their arms folded under their breasts. and men stand with hands in pockets kind of slouchy!!:heehee:

You're right! Good observation! Although so far I don't have to worry about that because I only own skirts but I'm on the prowl for a good pair of jeans. Yes, I can just see me stuffing my hands in my pockets and nodding at everyone! :heehee:

Lorileah
01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Great now I have to amend all my posts where I said "just smile and nod" when confronted. SO I suppose spitting on the sidewalk is out too?

jackie_p
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Great now I have to amend all my posts where I said "just smile and nod" when confronted. SO I suppose spitting on the sidewalk is out too?

Yeah, and ...AHEM... scratching certain areas too...LOL!

Smile and wave, boys....Smile and wave!
Jackie

jazmine
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Your right! I always knew this, but never really stopped and thought about it. I never had a woman nod to me. I have to stop nodding!

linnea
01-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Thank you (I wrote with a smile rather than a nod) for this nice little tidbit of advice. I'm going to work on it because I'm a nodder too.

NatalieBliss
01-16-2009, 02:44 AM

the female version of the "smile and nod" is "smile and tilt" :D

deja true
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah! The nod is a hold over from when men always bowed to women or superiors. You'll note that when you greet your boss or your minister, you usually nod, but they dont. They know that they're socially above you. If they do nod to you, its in a patronizing way.

Good observation, Cassia. Thank your friends!

Mirani
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Another male habit .. apparently ...

In the car at traffic lights, a man will pick his nose! . . you never see a lady picking her nose! ;)

TxKimberly
01-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Hmmm . . . never noticed that the nodding was male thing. That women smile in greeting, yes, that men nod, nope - hadn't caught that.

Angel.Marie76
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Ugh.. I had read somewhere else that nodding was a 'tell-tale' giveaway. Yeah, I'm a nodder to. I've actually been TRYING not to, and I keep catching myself. The smiling, goodness, I need endless practice. I have been changing my wave, greeting, and been working on smiling as much as I remember, but it just seems like every significant smile feels too forced... *shrug*

Sam-antha
01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
When I was a young girl, the given way of picking things off the ground was a must to know.
Get alongside of the thing, bend at the kness and reach down for the thing that you wish to pick up.
Sounds like a man thing...... it is the way of old men if you bend forwards. Keep the thing at your side

~Samm

Tracii G
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Great tips thanks.

Kim_Bitzflick
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I never thought about this. I'll have to pay attention & see if I'm a nodder.

Angie G
01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
There are so many thing we do as men that we don't think about. How we walk, stand, Arm placement, how we sit plus others it's hard to get them all girly.:hugs:
Angie

FoxyFriend
01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Please remember that as GGs we have been doing this all of our lives, and we still get it wrong sometimes. I think that the best way to smile is to remember that you are out there dressed and proud and a very natural little smirk may appear that makes your eyes twinkle as well.

Lorileah
01-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Another male habit .. apparently ...

In the car at traffic lights, a man will pick his nose! . . you never see a lady picking her nose! ;)
no but I did see one putting on pantyhose you never see a man doing that

GINA-CD
01-18-2009, 02:20 AM
This is sooo true... felt stupid when I found myself nodding while reading this post... :doh:

I know I smile when I read most of Karren's posts though.... :heehee:

Persephone
01-18-2009, 02:48 AM
It takes a lot of time and work to undo the nodding thing.

Also important, women almost always smile when they make eye contact, even accidental eye contact, with other women, but almost never smile at a man (One of my GG friends said, "Of course not! Smile at a man and he thinks its a come-on.").

Here's one for you -- men tend to wash their hands by interlacing their fingers, women seem to mostly wash with their fingers closed, as if washing with mittens on.

Darla L
01-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Lorileah said: SO I suppose spitting on the sidewalk is out too?

No Babe, that is perfectly acceptable behaviour if you also have a big chew of tobacco. Otherwise a lady must swallow...(copenhagen that is). :o

Kathleen Grace
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Also important, women almost always smile when they make eye contact, even accidental eye contact, with other women, but almost never smile at a man (One of my GG friends said, "Of course not! Smile at a man and he thinks it's a come on.

For Persephone or any GG.

When interacting with men, is a closed mouth smile less likely to encourage a possible come on? Even in male mode I tend to smile at everyone, even when nodding. :) This may explain why gay men misread me on occasion.

Thanks very much. :hugs:

Kathleen