PDA

View Full Version : Look More Different Than I Thought

melissacd
01-17-2009, 11:42 AM
As some of you may know I have been living in a situation that allows me to cross dress as much as I want with the exception of work and the odd event. This has given me great freedom to play with and improve my look and skills.

To me, looking at myself in the mirror I still see me and I still see a guy. In public settings I find though that I get very little reaction regardless of the venue. I am just part of the scenery for most people and that is the way that I like it.

A real test of this came the other day. I was in a local restaurant with some friends and in walks someone that I worked with for 6 years. I recognized him instantly and had a bit of a sense of panic at first because I have not come out in my professional life yet (thinking about that one though). He looked straight at my face and walked by me without showing so much as a glimmer of recognition. To make matters more interesting, he and his wife sat at the table right next to mine, he was about 6-8 feet away from me through the whole dinner.

Eventually, I realized that my look had transformed me so much that even at close range he never recognized who I was. I kept the level of my voice lower and slightly disguised to avoid being recognized on that front.

They finished their meal, left the restaurant and the event was over. It was a very surreal night to have this experience, it made me feel that I have come a very long way since starting to more formally dress and go in to public a few years back.

Huggs
Melissa

celeste26
01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
There may come a time when all you see in the mirror is a girl, until that time, you've got the blending in part of this whole life down well. Keep it up girl.

Lora Olivia
01-17-2009, 11:50 AM
A nervous yet exciting thing for you, congrats lady sounds like you have blending down to a science

JennSC
01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
OMG Melissa! Not only do I congratulate you on culturing a passable look, but keeping your cool so well under pressure! WOW! :hugs:

Kristen Kelly
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Congrats, first you look great, confidence helped you get through your close encounter. I had it happen to me 2 years ago now there is little difference in me in drab for it's my own hair and I use little makeup normally when out. For me I was out in a club watching Keroke and behind the performer was a mirror and in the mirror I saw a good looking woman, when I looked to the right of me I realized it was me......I was on cloud nine for 3 days, your day will come.

Kate Simmons
01-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Knowing you as I do Melissa, I'd say your presentation came off as genuine because you are a genuine person in either mode my friend.:hugs::)

JoAnne Wheeler
01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
You have really come a long way - you have graduated to transforming profection
JoAnne Wheeler

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-18-2009, 04:22 PM
What a cool story, Melissa. I would have been sweating big time!

I haven't ventured out in public en femme yet, but it is very unlikely that any of my photos would ever be nailed as me. Pass or not, I don't look anything like guy-me in my cd photos and I love that!

I have thought about the exact situation you shared though. If/when I finally venture out, what if someone I know happens to see me all dressed up? Even though my wife and I both agree that Gabrielle looks nothing like guy-me, is there anything someone else might be able to recognize? I'd by lying if I said I'm not curious. The thought of being able to be completely invisible to people who know you is very intriguing.

Glad your situation turned out so well. Bet you were smiling ear to ear afterward. :)

Tracii G
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
I have seen people I know when dressed and none have made me so far.
I too look a lot different when girlied up.

TGMarla
01-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm the same way, dear. I look in the mirror, and I see a guy in a dress. I think to some extent, we all do. But that doesn't mean that others do. It's been said her before, but perhaps we pass more than we think we do.

paulaN
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
When I have seen people I know when out dressed I get that panic feeling. I have never had that close of an encounter though. Way to go!!!! you handled yourself very well sista.

"Mary"
01-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Congrats. I need to take some more steps toward that level of confidence as well as presentation skills to pass or at least blend. Way to go.

Thanks for sharing.

Karren H
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Pretty neat!!! Congrats on the ultimate pass!!

KarenS
01-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Congratulations. It must feel wonderful. I look forward to the day that I can pass minimaly. And then, come out of the closet some more.

Sally2005
01-19-2009, 01:11 AM
I had that happen years ago. I was out at a bar with my wife and a close friend walked in. He recognized my wife and not me. After a couple minutes he goes, oh! I would have never guessed! I was scared about how he might react, but he has never mentioned it again and seems fine with it. It was at the end of October though. Actually, I'll aways remember the old drunk who got up from the bar with lust in his eyes to greet us at the door as we entered the bar...I'm sure he didn't read me.

Alice B
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
That was a true test of the woman you have become and you passed it with flying colors. Well done.:hugs: