PDA

View Full Version : Best TG Friendly City?

Maddie22
01-18-2009, 03:56 AM
We all know that San Fransisco is extremely openminded about LGBT issues. I was wondering what other cities are like that besides the obvious like San Fran, NY ect...
I will be graduating from College soon, and would love to move to a place where I can ski alot, in a big market with oportunities, that is TG friendly as well, or progressive. Any ideas of any cities in general that would be good to go to?

Darla L
01-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Missoula, Montana is the place you wanna be, just load up yer truck and move from Beverly... Really, it is a great place. But, then again, anywhere in Montana is a great place.

Princess Chantal
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
My vote would go to Winnipeg

Jessica Jameson
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Denver is where you wanna be, very progressive, and about 45 minutes from some sweet powder

Sally24
01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Boston is a great place, not far from lots of skiing in NH and Maine. There is a very active T-girl community here and people in the larger cities like Cambridge and Boston are very accepting for the most part. Both those cities also have specific gender ordinances that protect us and give us the RIGHT to use the proper rest room for our presentation.

StevieTV
01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Winnipeg?? That's because everyone is covered head to toe in winter wear 11 months out of the year. The last month is bug season.:)
Montreal is the place to be.:hugs:

Sara Jessica
01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
San Diego, CA has been really good to me.

celeste26
01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I would recommend Portland Oregon. Nothing like the moderating effects of the Pacific ocean to keep the extremes of weather away. We have a gay mayor. We have skiing at Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor within easy reach and without the major snow on the ground in the city (usually). Four real seasons, beautiful year round and the prices aren't over the roof.

The whole Northwest culture is lower priced San Fransisco, very tolerant and do your own thing. We have restaurants of every culture and taste. Basketball, hockey and baseball nearby two nationally ranked college football teams in the state and good private universities nearby also.

Cant do better than Oregon. I live in the state capital (Salem) not far from Portland and I enjoy the small city more than the big city but still there is no better place to live.

Violet
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Boston, or Provincetown on the Cape. P-town is renowned for being one of the most accepting communities for LGBT folks. It gets really, REALLY quiet in the winter, though, so Boston might be a better bet for year round socializing and fun. Plus, Boston is only 2.5/3 hours away from P-town AND the White Mountains. So you can ski all winter long and go down to P-town in the summer.

sandra-leigh
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Winnipeg?? That's because everyone is covered head to toe in winter wear 11 months out of the year. The last month is bug season.:)

Now, you might not be hearty enough to wear a short skirt at -20C, but the gurls and girls around here (Winnipeg) are! No, the head-to-toe covering here is reserved for mosquito season!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd sure like to know
JoAnne Wheeler

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
The best tg-friendly city? Well, it sure as hell ain't where I live! :(

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I've had my fill of this crappy part of the world, for more reasons than one. When I finally move, finding a good tg/cd-friendly is a must. It is very depressing to live in an area where any differences are looked down upon and crossdressing is practically unspeakable.

Keep those good cities coming! Options are good. :)

Stephanie81
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Speaking as a UK resident, i'd have to go with Brighton or Manchester.. parts of London are ok, but it's mostly awful..
Brighton is for sure the best LGBT city in England!!

StevieTV
01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Now, you might not be hearty enough to wear a short skirt at -20C, but the gurls and girls around here (Winnipeg) are! No, the head-to-toe covering here is reserved for mosquito season!

In a long beaver coat it would be fabulous.

Lorileah
01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Denver is where you wanna be, very progressive, and about 45 minutes from some sweet powder
I'll agree to a point. Overall Denver is the top pick. Mountains and other ammenities but the night life in this town bites. Soooo, if you wanna go out and party you may want to reconsider. Other than that it is great here :)

Lorileah
01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
In a long beaver coat it would be fabulous.
reminds me of an old joke, why the long beaver? What? It was
a horse and they said why the long face? Nevermind

jennifer41356
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
We all know that San Fransisco is extremely openminded about LGBT issues. I was wondering what other cities are like that besides the obvious like San Fran, NY ect...
I will be graduating from College soon, and would love to move to a place where I can ski alot, in a big market with oportunities, that is TG friendly as well, or progressive. Any ideas of any cities in general that would be good to go to?

Kym and the other girls from Austin can confirm this, but Austin Tx has been a good place for Tgirls, maybe because it is a college town

Lisa Catherine
01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
.....Tooo much WINTER WEATHER!! Atlanta's a vert t-friendly town, and you'rewell away from a lot of the winter cold!!

Prissy Linda
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Denver gets my vote, very TG friendly.

DaJe
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
With living in Massachusetts myself, I'd have to say Provincetown

TxKimberly
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Can't help you with the desire to be near powder, but as someone who travels a great deal, I CAN offer advice on the Cities I have found to be the most accepting and fun:
Austin Texas
Boston
Indianapolis
This one is going to surprise you - Oklahoma City. People were genuinely nice to me with honest smiles.

jessica19cd
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
best place I would say is Chicago. Great big city and plenty of tg, gay, lesbian friendly places.

DaJe
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Missoula, Montana is the place you wanna be, just load up yer truck and move from Beverly... Really, it is a great place. But, then again, anywhere in Montana is a great place.

I've spent a lot of time in Montana. I'd say Missoula is actually a nice place. Though I'm still not sure if it's necessarily a really friendly sort of area. Though I have met so many wonderful and accepting people out there. Especially when I was working in Yellowstone last summer. Though technically that was Wyoming.

SweetCaroline
01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I would recomend North Hampton Massachusetts--one of my favorite parts of the state. Definitely LGBT friendly, with specific laws protecting Trans people. It also a very highly educated area, with several notible colleges around NoHo, Amherst, Holyoke, etc. And it's most likely a lot less expensive than the big cities.

VeronicaMoonlit
01-18-2009, 10:30 PM
In the United States, there's obviously the Big Three:

New York City
San Francisco
Chicago

San Fran and Chi-town both have the advantage over NYC in that California and Illinois have statewide anti-discrimination laws for GLBT folk.

Then there's second tier cities like Minneapolis/St. Paul (also in a state with statewide anti discrimination laws) and places like Boston, Atlanta, Indianapolis etc.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

ginag
01-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I too think Chicago is a nice place, but not for skiing.