PDA

View Full Version : It's Going to be a Long Layoff

Alice B
01-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I go in for replacement knee surgery in a week, so my days as Alice are numbered for a while. I will have to remove my toe nail polish and buy some male PJ's, which I have not worn in 10 years. It will be at least two months before I finish therapy and can again dress. Bummer!

Veronica 1
01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Alice, that is a bummer but it must be a necessary evil. Look at the bright side, when you are done with the therapy at least your legs should feel better when you are wearing heels. Good luck, hon.

Shelly Preston
01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I hope you happy with you new knee and then you can get back to full fitness

:hugs:

Lora Olivia
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Alice

My SO had one replaced last year and the one thing I can tell Ya is no matter how much it hurts that first couple weeks, you have to bend it. Otherwise it might get scar tissue and the muscle won't stretch, then they knock you out again and bend it for you and that ain't no fun..Take care and good luck

StacyCD
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Keep us informed of your progress--I'm facing the same surgery in the near future. Good luck!

Persephone
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
My spouse had it years ago and the results have been wonderful! Before the surgery she couldn't walk through a grocery store, now, with a regular program of diet and exercise, she walks all over the place, even hiking.

As others have said, the key is to work at it right from the beginning -- do the bends, do the prescribed physical therapy and exercise -- and you'll reap the rewards.

Our thoughts will be with you!

Hugs,

carhill2mn
01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Good luck to you! It is a bummer not being able to be the person that yoyu want to be. Hang in there.

Sara Jessica
01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
All that matters is that you get better. Best of luck to you in this experience and recovery. You'll be back in heels in no time!!!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Hope your surgery goes well
JoAnne Wheeler

Sandra Dunn
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I hope your surgery goes well. Why do you have to purchase butch clothes? Women get knee surgery too don't they? If you have to buy some new PJ's buy a really cute one color short set. While you're off can't you still get made up, I'd leave the polish. In fact this would be a great time to get them done so they would looked great while you're recovering.

What would you do if you had an accident while dressed up? The medical folks will still see you. Do you have enought time for the hair to grow back?

I had an emergency apendictomy and my nails were done and my legs were shaved. Only had one person comment on that and I just blew it off and nothing else was ever said about it. I was in for 5 days.

Let Alice be a part of this if at all possible.

HUGS Sandra

insearchofme
01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
My wife has had both of her kees replaced, 5 weeks apart. What was said before is very important, push yourself and do the exercises correctly!

After her first sugery I didn't push her enough with her rehab and she had to go to P.T. During her second surgery the doc had to cranck on it while she was under. After the second surgery I pushed her a lot harder and now after 3 years she's doing well.

I've had both my hips replaced and beleive me knee replacement patients have to do a lot more work. I really admire those folks.

By the way you don't need any guy PJs. Just wear a hospital gown the regular way and then wear another one like you would a coat. That way you're covered both front and back and your legs are free from any encumberance. It's a lot like a dress too!

Do well!

CD Susan
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Alice I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a full and speedy recovery. You might not be able to walk in heels for a while but you can visit with us here every day during your recovery.

Gena_2
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Dear Alice B.

If you do decide to be in 'drab,' maybe it will make the recovery more exciting, anticipating being able to be yourself, again. Best luck with your surgery and recovery.

Gena

Kimberly Marie Kelly
01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
are obligated under HIPPA regulations not to say a thing to others. I say go ahead and wear what you want. Be comfortable, be yourself. :battingeyelashes:

PretzelGirl
01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I am not positive, but I thought Alice wasn't completely out. She can correct my if I am wrong. If so, that would be a great reason to remove all traces while in the hospital because of visitors and not the professionals themselves.

Alice - Good luck and I hope the surgery and recovery go well. Ease back into those heels! No need to push it.

Denise01
01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi alice:

Know where you are coming from about being out of the loop for a couple of months.

I had a total Knee replacement about 5 years ago, and if yours comes along as good as mine did, you will be very pleased. As for pain after wards. there is no Pain.

The big thing as the other girls have said is do the Therapy that they tell you, and more, and you will have no problems at all.

Know what you mean about having to wear some guy things, that is a bummer, but small pay for the relief you will have.

Hope all goes well for you and please let us know how you are doing.

Denise

:):):):)

Tracii G
01-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I hope you surgery goes well hun.You'll be back.

renee k
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I go in for replacement knee surgery in a week, so my days as Alice are numbered for a while. I will have to remove my toe nail polish and buy some male PJ's, which I have not worn in 10 years. It will be at least two months before I finish therapy and can again dress. Bummer!

Hi Alice,

I had hip replacement surgery last August and was out of circulation for two months as well. The advise I can give you is get up and get moving ASAP. Do your excercises religiously. I finished rehab a week early because I did my home work, if you get my drift. And BTW it's the best I've felt in years!!

Huggs, Renee

Sallee
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Alice I hope all goes well with your surgery Just get up and around again ASAP so you can enjoy life more GOOD LUCK:D

Karren H
01-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Good luck, Alice!! Maybe when your in there you can get them to throw a free SRS and maybe some plastic surgeory? lol

KarenS
01-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I wish you the best for your surgery Alice. Come back dancing after your recovery.

sissystephanie
01-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Alice, I had shoulder replacement surgery on Oct 9th. I am still in therapy, and can't wear some of my female clothing due to the shoulder. Can't get some things on!! But I have worn panties every day since Oct. 11th. Had to wait about 1 1/2 months before wearing a bra because it hurt to put it on. BTW, I went to the hospital wearing pale link nail polish on my fingers and red polish on my toes. My daughter, who knows I CD, said the next time I go to the hospital to leave the polish off my toes. Guess I shocked my son, who does not know!

When my right shoulder heals up, I need to have the left rotator cuff repaired. The doctor said I should be able to throw a "change-up" by spring training! Darn, I wanted to throw a fastball!!

Good luck to you and have a speedy recovery! I will pray for you.

LindaC
01-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Good luck with your surgery.

I've had three(count em) since August. Broke my wrist, then ithe incision got infected. Had to go braless for 10 weeks:sad:

In December I had surgery to remove a tumor from my middle ear, have to have another in a few months to restore my hearing.

It's hell getting old, but listen to your doctors and it gets better

Alice B
01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
This will be my second knee replacement. Had the right one done 10 years ago, so this will be the other. I know about the importance of doing your therapy and will work hard at it. The 1st 4 weeks sucks, but is extremely important. Can't leave the nails painted because they require that all nail polish, make-up, etc. be removed. plus all jewlery. So no ear rings. Went out today and bought some shorts and a tee shirt to wear as PJ's. Also bought myself a cute nightie for when I get home.

Karren. I don't think my wife will be pleased if I have any SRS. A small boob job would be nice, but that is also out of the question. I'll just have to keep massageing them to build them up.

Sam-antha
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Alice,all I can say afer that lot of posts is to be glad for you that you no longer have to wait for the second knee to give up. Which is not very cheering.
But I do wish you a "Happy New Knee"

:love:

~Samm

Schatten Lupus
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Here's to a quick recovery. I had knee surgery once to repair my ACL, and it definitly wasn't fun. Unfortunatly, I've considered knee replacement for the same knee I already had surgery because I have arthritis so bad, it hurts just to sit for too long.

Tina B.
01-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Good luck Alice! no fun but worth it!Tina

Billijo49504
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery...BJ:love: