PDA

View Full Version : Do you have guy hobbies? ***FTM QUESTION***

AmandaM
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I was wondering. Do you have guy hobbies now/always? Do you shoot guns? Work on race cars? Smoke cigars?

Adam
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
i am a guy but yes i do alot of classic car repair and shows just as a hobby

ZenFrost
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
What defines a 'guy' hobby? I volunteer at a library, so I suppose that's a hobby, and I'm a guy, does that make it a guy hobby?

I don't like guns, cars, sports, smoking, cards, bars, or that sort of thing.

sabo10
01-21-2009, 05:00 AM
<i>What defines a 'guy' hobby? I volunteer at a library, so I suppose that's a hobby, and I'm a guy, does that make it a guy hobby?</i>

I think that's a guy hobby by any definition. :)

KP.

AmandaM
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm just curious, many MTF'ers keep their male hobbies, some abandon them for girly pursuits. I wonder if FTM's are the same.

Thornton
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok... so that means there aren't really any Girl hobbies and Boy hobbies now, right?

Pretty much, yeah.

Flameboy
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
In answer to the original question - I'm a guy, I have hobbies, so therefore yes, I have guy hobbies. However, I do know what you mean, so maybe I should be less sarcastic. I was never into girly stuff - that always bored me. I've always enjoyed guy stuff such as watching football (that's proper football, btw, not American football ;)), drinking beer, playing pool etc.

4serrus
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I..uh...play video games? I'm nuts about Star Wars. I think the idea of teaching myself programming is fun. I read non-fiction....Um.. I dunno. I think those are just nerd hobbies.

John
01-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm a ham radio op.........i have found a decent amount of t-girls who are hams....any more out there?

It's the "00000's" Ladies

Jesus, did Tamara not have this out with you folks just the other week? Brick wall, meet hed.

I do kinda geeky hobys on computers, and cooking (which isn't 'girly' when your a trainy-cheff), and art.

Hate watching sport, or doing any sport which isn't swiming (bloddy stupid hobby for a pre-op ts, I know), don't shoot (but then it's england, I only ever met two people who did the last two decades), don't drive...

Incidentaly, smoking is most definatly NOT a 'guy' hobby, I know as many women who smoke as men (if not more).

brylram
01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
blah. sorry, didn't check the section when i replied to new posts.

I'm noticing this is the source of a lot of our problems.... I'd really, REALLY like that part of the site done away with. Most of the posting in wrong sections happens through it.

Tamara Croft
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
blah. sorry, didn't check the section when i replied to new posts.Sorry, but that's a crap excuse for not reading the first post. I'm pretty sure you aren't called 'guys' in the mtf section. It's a case of ignorance as per usual. As for those that have posted yet again in a thread you weren't supposed to, well I'm just going to leave them there, to show the ignorance yet again :thumbsdn:

metalguy639
01-24-2009, 07:03 AM
I personally have NEVER had a girl hobby. I played sports, played soccer(football) for about 24 years, I'm a musician and have played in many metal bands but currently have no instruments.

Kieron Andrew
01-24-2009, 10:15 AM
As for those that have posted yet again in a thread you weren't supposed to, well I'm just going to leave them there, to show the ignorance yet again :thumbsdn:

Someone deleted them?

Tamara Croft
01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Someone deleted them?Yeah... someone wants a slap.... Maura_ohio and Kerrylee61... just so you know...

halfman_halfamazing
01-26-2009, 06:52 AM
i play video games, i love sports. in order. baseball basketball soccer and football.
i don't play i have terrible flinching problems but i do follow hardcore.
dodgers. lakers. colts. arsenal and chivas.
i'm also greatly into mens' fashion.
and music is beyond a hobbie and unqualifying as a guy hobbie i guess

durden
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I've got a lot of hobbies that I cycle through, since I can sometimes get bored so easily. I love sports, especially hockey... especially the Red Wings. =] I love computers & electronics just like the majority of people. I want all of those high-tech gadgets around me at all times. My video games are very important to me. Great stress-relievers & a good way to combo up w/a friend every now & then & pretend that you're again trying to kick their ass in the world of pixels. =] I like to keep my car looking pretty sweet, although I don't know as much about what's under the hood. I can do the general change headlights, wiper blades, etc. etc. Would love to eventually hang out w/some people that could help me expand the auto knowledge though. I've always got art on the mind. Spray painting, graffiti, some acrylics by hand, pen sketches, all of it really. I like to sell t-shirts & stuff that have my designs slapped to em. I love my MP3's & mixing them. I would love to become a part-time DJ some day. =] Eh, I guess my hobbies are right up there along w/everyone elses really.

SirTrey
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm a crazed football fan (lifelong Browns fan, so I am also, apparently, a masochist)...also love the Cavs (go LeBron)....Very into music....Love to fix things, touch My tools I will break your arm....Lift weights obsessively, and it's killing Me that I can't now because I am laid up from knee surgery a week and a half ago (I took a couch out of My livingroom to put a Gold's Gym machine there, if that tells you how much I love My weights)....I have three birds and a snake, not sure if you consider having pets a hobby, but I am very into My animals....I love teaching My parrot to talk (his latest phrase is, "Daddy's sexy, hell yeah".....:) So that's pretty much it for hobbies....**Trey**

Punkster
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Hmm I have lots of hobbies, I guess if we are talking stereotypes then some would be classed as male or female.

Here's my hobbies and I will let you decide :

Cross stitch
Crochet
Computers
Spiritual study ( yep a hobby as well as a way of life )
Video Games
DIY particularly painting and decorating and I love power tools *grins*
Writing short stories and poems
Reading ( always have at least one book on the go)

*shrugs*
I don't feel any of these actually makes a statement of whether I am male or not though, just what I enjoy doing.

*chugs beer, grabs crotch, burps loudly and strolls off to do some crochet*

HEINEGUY
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I like to work on puzzles, when I have time....:)

crazy4cheezeits
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Most of the things I do wouldn't really be classified as "guy" hobbies or "girl" hobbies, they're fairly androgynous. ex. listening to music and things like hiking and sailing (that doesn't count as a guy hobby, does it?)

Alexander_T
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I dunno either. Not really sure what is meant by "a guy hobby"... I love videogames, I'm in a band (and 2 or 3 side projects), learning a second language, and I build model Gundams. Hate sport though, playing and watching. I guess I don't like to think of my hobbies as being "masculine" or "feminine", just as I don't like to think of myself as being either of those things.

That's just me though :P

Ze
03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
*shrugs* My hobbies are just hobbies to me.

Reading, writing, jigsaw puzzles, baking, violin, pool, SNES...

Though I have been known to watch American football while reading "Our Bodies, Ourselves." :)

crazy4cheezeits
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
"Our Bodies, Ourselves" is great!

Ze
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
"Our Bodies, Ourselves" is great!

Yeah, and they even have a trans section, which is cool. :)

gendernonconformist
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
In the sense of "mainly" things I do,football sport in general gardening which according to my grandparents is for men,and i love motorbikes and riding when I can :)

Wren
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Why do we have to fall to socially constructed gender discrimination even in people's leisure time?

I didn't know that men had capital over certain activities. Maybe that's why when a girl plays football she's an empowered women's liberator instead of just a football player. Which would probably explain why there's such a consistant gender division in sports, and why fewer girls would be enrolled in sports as children, therefore leading to fewer women in sports in adulthood, therefore creating this false notion that sports are 'natural' to men and not to women.

The only way to break that gender dichotomy that makes the world of transpeople and intersexed people so hard, is to stop promoting essentialist views that support and reinforce that very gender dichotomy in mass culture.

So to answer the question. I do everything that I'm interested in doing and have not given up the things I love doing. Neither did I take up any activities when I found out I liked being male, because I have always been male and female.

DanielMacBride
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
As always, Wren, you articulate things so well :D I agree - why does any activity have to be allocated a gender? This is why I wasn't going to answer the original question, because the idea of gendered leisure activities is just....UGH to me.

I am unequivocally male, but I refuse to stop enjoying my "female" pursuits just because society says they are not "male" activities (besides, I know a TON of male knitters/crocheters/fashion designers, so I am not alone in my interests!) I can be a stereotypical male with the best of them (beer and football, anyone?) but the amount of times I have been asked if I am gay or read as an effeminate guy because I like to knit and because I make corsets and design clothes for a living is just ridiculous.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been told when knitting on the bus "men don't knit!" (to which I respond, "really? I never saw that memo, and neither did all the other guys I know who knit" and then give the person an impromptu lecture in KnitHistory 101 telling them about how knitting used to be solely a man's profession!).

I don't believe activities should be gendered - this is why I have never followed gender stereotypes in my household and why all my kids regardless of gender have been allowed (and encouraged) to climb trees, play with dolls and wear pink or whatever they like without attributing any activity to a specific gender.

Hehe maybe I should show my stupid psychiatrist this thread, he is locked into some wicked gender stereotypes and expects all his trans patients to conform to those in order to be allowed to transition. Sorry, but I refuse to become a beer swilling, football-playing (can't anyway because of my back) chauvinist pig who frowns on the pursuit of "feminine" hobbies just to fit one person's stereotypical boxes :tongueout

handyman
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Woodworking, working on cars, motorbikes, remodeling houses, playing shoot em up video games

xsideburnsx
06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I watch a lot of sports. American football and basketball being my favorites. Die hard Texas Longhorns fan.

I attempt to work on cars, and hurt myself haha. No big deal. I try.

I pick fights. Pick up girls. Cuss like a sailor. Have total disregard for those around me.

Typical douchy guy.