PDA

View Full Version : Were You Influenced by What Your Mother Wore?

adrienner99
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I wonder how many of us developed our taste in women's clothes based on what our mothers' wore--after all, their dresses and shoes were probably the first female clothes we wore!

I adore satin dresses with wide skirts, red lipstick, and of course black patent leather pumps with 3 to 5-inch heels--all things my mother wore...

Of course we have all updated and diversified since we sneaked into her closet and tried on our first dresses--but how much of those wondrous moments carry over into our current wardrobe thinking???

AmandaM
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
No, just women on TV.

Lisa Golightly
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
No... We have very different tastes. It is very rare she likes anything I like and vice versa. Equally she doesn't use makeup... never has... whereas I play with it an awful lot :)

Jenny G
01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
my mother really never dressed dress but i got my start by trying here stockings and a girdle that the stockings attached to and then i tried my sister's petticoats

MsPriscilla
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Only her underwear, stockings, bras etc.

StacyCD
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't ever remember wearing one of my mother's dresses so I don't think her style seemed all that important to me at a very young age. Her under things were a different matter!

DameErrant
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
At first I wore what my Mother wore, as that was all that was available to me. But when I could buy my own clothes, I developed my own tastes that were a little flashier and sexier than hers. At the time I just thought I was going for higher style, but that did not really come till later when I finally did develop a better sense of style.

Lorileah
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
my mother, when she was younger, was a fashion horse so I guess the answer would be yes :). Heels midthigh skirts, hair and make up Now I hope I don't follow her into the slouchy sweatpants and shirt stage

divamissz
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
The first things I wore were my mother's, so I guess I must have been influenced somehow. But I know that my style and hers are very different.

jolanda_trav
01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
No, I wasn't influenced by my mothers clothing at all. Her style was not verry much stilish in my opinion.
Some day I found some clothes of her from her younger days, and those clothes I liked more.

Cary
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Although I started with her things, I went in a different direction. I was and am influenced my non-family women in my life(coworker,etc.). I also pull from TV and magazines. She wore pantyhose for special events. I wear them most everyday.

susan2010
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
No, not at all, except that I like slips, but all women and girls wore slips back then. She was not very elegant or fashionable, but was a true saint and a wonderful person.

Michaella
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I got into girdles! It was the times . . . .

Michaella

Daintre
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I never touched my mother's clothing. Her style was basic house dresses, never any slacks or jeans ever. My mom worked at a hospital as a ward aide so my memory is of her always in a white drab uniform with white hose and shoes.

Sonia Greene
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I am sure I was influenced by her clothes, stored in her wardrobe. First, the aroma when I opened it, then rifling along the items hanging or stored on the shelves....and stockings, then shoes. At 12yrs.old, they fitted!
And I recall putting on her girdle and bras.....I loved the girdle and bra....
She was a good-looking woman, admired by friends of my fathers, so had clothes that were nice, rather than just plain. Soft materials, tafeta was in, so................
it's all there, as a starter!

sherib
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
No, I was influenced by the way women dressed at the time. Women in the 50's and 60's when they were out and about always dressed in stocking and heels. Then I tried on my mothers stockings and heels. It felt so good, I was hooked.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
NO - I have better taste than my mother had
JoAnne Wheeler

Teddie
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I would have to say, yes. My mother was always dressed very nicely. Dresses, nylons, heels, etc. When I was very young, she was actually a model for one of the local department stores. Her picture was in the ads in the local papers, she did fashion shows for the store, and things like that. Did I wear her things? Yes.

Prissy Linda
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes I was influenced greatly by the way my mother and her friends dressed.
I was an only child for a long time so my mother and I were constant companions, In the mornings I would go to her room as she applied makeup and got dressed so I watched in total amazement how beautiful she became.

In those days most woman wore red lipstick and often wore dresses and conducted themselves as ladies(those were my impressions). Yes I did borrow her clothes occasionally but always with her permission, she eventually bought me my own clothes in my size. Eventually my style changed to reflect the current styles of my age groups but I always tried to portray myself as she did. After my sisters were born I didn't dress as often but continued throughout my teens while I lived at home.

Mother asked me a few years ago If I still "play dress up" as she called it, I told her that I did and that my wife participates but our grown kids have never been told about my dressing. She did raise an eyebrow but said she was happy for me. She and my sisters know, my sisters know I still dress but have always kept it our little secret so their children don't know either.

Sorry I was so long winded in my response...

Tomara
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
No , not my mothers , it was my older sisters clothes that started it all for me !
Tomara

trannie T
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
My mother was a wonderful person and I miss her very much. Sadly she was not the best role model for a crossdresser. I try to wear clothing that my mother never would have worn.

audreyinalbany
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't see much relationship between my mother's clothing style and my own. Of course my first experiences with women's clothes were with hers, but my tastes now tend to run more with tasteful, contemporary, middle-aged women, with, I must admit, probably more of a liking for short skirts than I woman of my age would admit to.

queenie
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Other than the fact that she was a fashion maven, I don't share the same style with my mom at all. She always dressed fashionably yet conservatively. I think my fashion sense is more influenced by the other women around me, my friends and such.

Beth-Lock
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Other than very early, not too much. I was more influenced by the girls in school and what they wore.
One thing I did get from my mother, was a taste for nice clothes, especially at bargain prices. Mother would stalk the stores, waiting for something she liked to go on sale, and then she would grab it. Had a lot of nice things as a result, and at reasonable prices on the whole.
My sister on the other hand, I think sometimes judges clothing too much by the price tag. So, my mother's influence was slightly different in both cases.
My mother made some clothes when she was younger, and made some for my sister that were nice, and also bought nice skirts and things for her. I particularly remember a Halloween costume she made for my sister, a spectacular flapper dress, in shiny black with red fringe trim across, at several places. I longed to wear that, but I don't think I ever did.. My sister came to my mom's even in her thirties, to borrow outfits for parties, a testimony to my mom's youthful tastes. It would not have been too bad a thing, to have been my mother's other daughter, rather than what i ended up with, as my destiny.

Kerrylee61
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
No way, no how ever ever. All my fashion influence came from the female stars of the silver screen back in the mid 50's.

Glamorous :worship:

Kerry

gennee
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
My was a stylish and classy dresser who coordinated her colors and patterns very well. I picked it up from her. Classy conservative I call it.

Gennee

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
No, absolutely not at all. I love my mother, but never found her attractive. As a young kid, I remember wondering why she wasn't pretty like most television moms usually were.

My style and hers couldn't be more different.

I always found this kind of odd because I've heard that most men tend to date women who remind them of their mother (not in the gross way). I was always attracted to thin, sexy women who dressed who provocatively and didn't resemble mom in the slightest. I didn't always get to date the hot girls, but I was always attracted to them.

Same with my cding. I try to look more like a woman I'd want to date. I may not be physically able to pull that look off, but I try. :)

Lisa Catherine
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, nylons, slips, skirts and dresses, as well as high-heeled BOOTS, and 'heels, PERIOD!! I don't even consider myself crossdresses unless I've got nylons onn!!:daydreaming::hugs:

Jenniferpl
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
The only thing my mother contributed was a long line bra that I could never wear often enough. And the my love of red lipstick.

Schatten Lupus
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
No. My mom hates my choice of clothing.

MaryAnn40c
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
I only wore my mothers panties,bras and a few of her short dresses but nowadays I look at the Sears catalogs for my outfits.

Tora
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
With one other women in the house, Mom stuff was the target. She was very stylish and spent quite a bit on her lingerie, panties, bras, night gowns, slips and nylons. Pantyhose was just coming in, oh I dated myself. Makeup and dresses, were too advanced for my basic needs. Yup, I got hooked!

Danni Kay
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe a little...we both like strappy sandals and jeans. She likes long dresses though, which I'm not really into. I prefer shorter lengths. She also dresses in pastels and blues, whereas I prefer purer colors and blacks and grays. We both love our jewelry-bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, etc.

When I do my makeup like my mom (who hasn't really changed her style since 1983-no lie) with blue eyeshadow, blush and coral lipstick, and put on some gold hoop earrings, it's freaky how much I look like her from 20 years ago. :eek:

Lesley Ann
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I never wore my Mothers clothes, I guess if there is an influence it would be my sister who is five years older, I remember watching her getting ready to go out and the feeling of envy, when she swished about in taffeta dresses with a full skirt, although I never dared try on any of her clothes. But when I look in the mirror OMG I can see my Mother staring back at me, although on Boxing day my two Daughters called and took me to their home for a family get to geather, my youngest said to me as I was getting into her car "Dad, you don't half look like Auntie" and that's me in drab! The story of how I started dressing, well you will have to wait for my autobiography!:daydreaming:
Lesley Ann.

KimberlyS
01-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I got my undergarment tastes from mom. But outer femme clothes mom would not be caught dead in most of them.

rochelle smith
01-21-2009, 12:46 AM
to a certain point yes because I first wore her clothing at a very young age, then later on my older sister's while her & my mother went to bingo. But I try for the more modern middle-age female.

rochelle

Diane Smith
01-21-2009, 01:16 AM
I have never copied any specific item or style that my mother wore. But I know she was a huge influence on my desire to dress, early on. When I was quite young, maybe from birth to age three or four, my mother attended a weekly club meeting for which she always dressed up. (This would have been at the very end of the 1950s, as I was born in 1957.) I was absolutely fascinated by her transformation -- it was as though the woman I saw every day had become a completely new and almost unrecognizable creature, totally different and much more elegant and beautiful, through the application of makeup, nails, hair, dressy clothes and all the rest. The extreme transformation I saw whenever she was preparing to go out made a deep impression on me -- and I totally adored the clothes, shoes, jewelry and makeup she wore.

Now, although I like '50s styles in general, nothing I have in my wardrobe specifically matches anything she wore -- but the idea of transformation, of having two different identities that are distinguished by clothes and makeup -- is what she has left me with.

I do always wear gartered stockings and high heels, though, just as she did when dressed up.

- Diane

LeotardMan
01-21-2009, 01:59 AM
OH YES!!!

When I was a child I used to exercise with my Mom and she would be dressed liked the women on the tapes so I wanted to dress and look just like her

Rochelle Exploration
01-21-2009, 05:28 AM
While certainly the early years were out of necessity, the only things I had access to, my own style developed over the years. Just as we all grow and develop I think you learn the style to match the girl you are.

Slip Affinity
01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Full slips and nylons. I can remember mom in her slip and seeing her clip her nylons to her garters. Love them both to this day but I have switched to thigh highs.

Tashee
01-21-2009, 09:01 AM
My Mom and her circle of friends were all trend setters being the wives around the political power and judges etc.
As I child I still remember the wonderful women who would come to the events at our home. The clothes and the perfume etc. It was a slice of Heaven for a little boy//girl.

These women including Mom had style , elegance and class. And of course the money to look that way too.

Does my today's look resemble that in anyway? Nah. That was one expensive look of years gone by to better days. And a more affluent purse.

Foxy Lady
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Mom was the only lady in the house when I started. The first things I wore were her panties, OBG and nylons and I still feel under dressed with out a girdle and stocings.

il.dso
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, definitely.My sister's clothes, as well.
I'd always have to choose between which person's clothes to wear.
Glad, now, to have my own wardrobe!

Shari
01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, most assuredly I was influenced by my Mom. It was her clothing that I first tried on and fell in love with and still somewhat emulate today.

It was the era too. My formative years were the 50's and
60's before the hippies and the pantsuits and women's lib came along.

I truly miss that golden age of femininity and wish the women of today could be more like the women of that time.

Lorna
01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
It was seeing teen girls and wishing I could wear their clothing that set me off - but with no sisters and no access to girls' clothes I had to make do with my mother's things. Fortunately her underwear fitted me reasonably well (though the girdles would not have been as tight on me as they must have been on her) but she had small feet and I couldn't wear her shoes. The important thing, though, was that I could wear stockings, slip, skirts and dresses and get just a little sense of what it must have felt like to be a young woman in the 1950s.

beenherelongtime
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
none in my present, but my sisters and my mother fit into most of my early cding.

Briana Blonde
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
No.

I dress like a hoe...:heehee:

I've only seen my Mom in a mini skirt once in pictures and she was in her 20s.

Raya
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I actually had quite a few issues with my Mom growing up. Trying on anything of hers would've revolted me. The few chances I got to get into girls' stuff came from when I got to stay at my grandmother's. She had taken care of most of her grandchildren for a little bit, so she had a pretty good pile of hand-me-downs. :heehee:

My mother liked to hide behind her clothes, so she dressed kind of frumpily. I want to do anything but that.

danacd96
01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
With all due respect to my mother, the fashion trends of her time have never interested me. I tend to like the fashions that are current. The down side for me is that I'm to old to wear a lot of it. Oh well its all good.:):)

dana

Hermione Simpson
01-27-2009, 02:15 AM
if i was influenced by anyone, it'll most probably of been one of my sisters as one of them is 2 years older than me

Ashlyee Paige
01-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Heck NO! :> lol I wish I could give my mother some tips LOL, all she wears is sweat pants, arrggghhh never!

Laurie909
01-27-2009, 04:31 AM
My mother's been dead over 10 years, and though she'd be shocked to hear me say it, she was a very good dresser. She had good taste and never left the house without looking immaculate. Even when she was in her 70s she wore skirts (while most women at that age had adopted pant suits.) She only had two boys and said she always said she never wanted a girl, but I think she really wished I was a girl. She might have known about my crossdressing but if so, she never let on.

noeleena
01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
hi... wow .my mum passed away 36 years ago yea so we stayed to gether for 24 years till jos & i got married . then 3 months later she passed on . my mum dressed very nicely for the time & even during the war & before. my older brother . 1 / 2 brother 19 years older than i . was dressed better than most kids, so yes the styles have changed . i know mum would have liked a girl . not sure if it would have been me yet i all ways was , just a miner detail there . just people thought i was a boy . oh well never mind i am & can be that girl now .. well a women really .
...noeleena...

Claire Cook
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
My taste is my own, but I still have some of her clothes. They are dated, but I sometimes wear her dresses around the house. It would be fun to wear them to a "vintage party" sometime.

I do wear her jewelry, especially her rings. When I wear her wedding ring, I think of both of my parents. I have most of her earrings, and when (if) I get my ears pierced, I'd love to wear them.

As others have said, she would have liked a daughter. I'm sorry she didn't get to know Claire.

martha mars
01-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Well for me it most likey is . Becouse she put me in that dress to bring me home from the hospital at 5 days old

keeganmeuer
01-30-2009, 03:37 AM
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't. My mom was and still is a big-time wearer of a variety of sweaters, mostly ribbed turtlenecks, and those happen to be the exact type of clothing that I find myself wearing most.

Jess_cd32
01-30-2009, 04:02 AM
No, just women on TV.

No here to, TV also and women in lingerie adds:daydreaming:

Lanore
01-30-2009, 06:38 AM
My mother was a very casual dresser. She always looked so comfortable. She didn't use a lot of make-up, but when she did, she looked so nice. I see a lot my mother in me.
I dress for comfort and my make-up high lights what I already have.

Sakura Rini
01-30-2009, 06:50 AM
i never wore my mothers clothes, but i did wear my baby sister clothes (baby and in a lot younger then me, not a real baby) so i guess wearing younger girls clothes are what influenced me. that and anime girls. such as sailor moon and card captor sakura to name a few

ruthie801
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
My mom caught me or should I say she set me up to catch me. I was 15 at the time and had been dressing in her things since I was 13 it started trying things on from the hamper and progressed to complete dress ups in her bedroom when she was out. Well one day she said she would be out all day, I of course thought I would be alone most of the day. I was wearing a old evening dress of hers with complete woman’s undergarments, as I was in her bathroom applying mascara she appeared in the door way. She said she knew I was into her things for awhile especially since her cosmetics was being used. She told me that I shouldn’t be doing this and that was the most scolding I received. She was more upset I didn't wear her old things in the bottom drawer. There was never anything but sheets there, She then left for the day of shopping she had intended well after she caught me there was dresses, bras, etc in that bottom drawer. wow mothers.

Megan_Okana
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I wonder how many of us developed our taste in women's clothes based on what our mothers' wore--after all, their dresses and shoes were probably the first female clothes we wore!

I adore satin dresses with wide skirts, red lipstick, and of course black patent leather pumps with 3 to 5-inch heels--all things my mother wore...

Of course we have all updated and diversified since we sneaked into her closet and tried on our first dresses--but how much of those wondrous moments carry over into our current wardrobe thinking???

My mother wore nothing like what i like. She has no fashon really, she always just wore 'mom clothes'. sweat pants or unfaltering jeans holiday sweaters. Eww!

cindyscute
03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
My mother's been dead over 10 years, and though she'd be shocked to hear me say it, she was a very good dresser. She had good taste and never left the house without looking immaculate. Even when she was in her 70s she wore skirts (while most women at that age had adopted pant suits.) She only had two boys and said she always said she never wanted a girl, but I think she really wished I was a girl. She might have known about my crossdressing but if so, she never let on.

My mother also died over 10 years ago. She was always a classy dresser. While at work in the 1980's she wore dresses and skirts with pantyhose almost always and looked very good. She definitely influenced my style of dress. Still have some of her outfits and have worn them, surprisingly fit me well after I slimmed down. Although she never knew as far as I know. I think she would be okay with it, that I turned out to be a classy part time daughter she never had. I was suppose to be the girl.