PDA

View Full Version : Gender Identity Disorder

Thornton
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Hello.

So, I'm noticing on this site that there is little mention of the topic of Gender Identity Disorder. Probably because it is a diagnosis reserved for for prepubescent children; its name changing for adults to "Transsexualism". But, what I'm interested in is all your views on the topic. Think back to when you were a child. How would you feel if you were told that you had a "disorder"? If you don't mind sharing, were any of you taken to counseling for GID as a child? If so, how was it like? And what are your opinions of it being classified as a "disorder"? Is this really something that should be "fixed"?

I'm just trying to open up a can of worms here. If there are any questions or points I failed to address, please bring those up as well. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic.

Kieron Andrew
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello.

So, I'm noticing on this site that there is little mention of the topic of Gender Identity Disorder. Probably because it is a diagnosis reserved for for prepubescent children;
Here in the UK it is not a diagnosis reserved for just prepubescent children, its a diagnosis given to Transsexuals period.

Personally, i dont mind the term because its basically for the medical world to be able to classify things they dont readily understand and are still learning about...just medical jargon IMO

When i went to the psych last October to begin my journey, he gave me the diagnosis of 'Transsexual with classic gender identity issues' that would in his view be helped by transitioning...its mainly termed as Gender Dysphoria here though rather than disorder

carolinoakland
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I"m not happy with the term disorder, I prefer using dysphoria. Meaning the opposite of euphoria

ZenFrost
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Like it says in the HBIGDASOCFGID (http://wpath.org/Documents2/socv6.pdf), GID is used for people of all ages. I was diagnosed as having it at the age of 19.

I did have counseling as a kid, but not for GID.

I do think it is something to be fixed, because otherwise I'd be spending my whole life stuck in a female body. I'd rather fix it by taking hormones and undergoing surgery than just leave it to fester. As far as it being a disorder, my only issue is how it's classified. Psychological disorders have psychological treatments, physiological disorders have physiological treatments. Since in so many cases of GID the treatment includes surgery, I think it should be considered a physiological condition as opposed to a psychological disorder. So basically I disagree with GID being in the DSM-IV. I think it should be removed like homosexuality was, to me it makes more sense to relate GID to arthritis than insanity.

Thornton
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Since in so many cases of GID the treatment includes surgery, I think it should be considered a physiological condition as opposed to a psychological disorder. So basically I disagree with GID being in the DSM-IV. I think it should be removed like homosexuality was, to me it makes more sense to relate GID to arthritis than insanity.

I agree with this viewpoint, I just never really knew how to articulate it.

Nicki B
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Perhaps you'll find it often refered to as dysphoria, or GD, here too? :)

vBulletin searches are funny, they don't like terms like 'GID' - but a search here on 'gender+identity+disorder' gives nearly 500 hits. A similar search on 'dysphoria' gives about the same?

Of course, it call also be because many of us take it as a given... :idontknow: