PDA

View Full Version : An exercise in self confidence

Phyliss
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
My cell phone company recently was either bought out or sold out to that other wireless company that owns the “geeky” looking guy with the grey jacket and oversized glasses. Personally I don’t like ‘em and want nothing to do with them. In order to change carriers I need to opt out of my present contract or pay big bucks early termination fee.

Put on my clothes this morning, “proper” under things ( panties, bra, stockings) size 8 jeans from Fashion Bug, black turtle neck jersey shirt topped off with a nice pumpkin colored “big shirt” from Woman Within. Sneakers from Payless, hair in pony tail and a light wipe of lippy. Finger nails have a light pink hue on my acrylic overlays. Put on my jacket, also from F.B. slid on my tan Totes gloves slung my bag over my shoulder and headed off to the cell phone store.

Got there just as they opened.
“How can I help you today?” says the Neanderthal behind the desk.
“ Got a big problem…” and I proceed to explain my case about opting out due to a change in the initial contract, ( meaning now being bought out and having to get a new set of compatible phones, which they’re giving away)

No screaming or shouting on my part, simply stating my case in no uncertain terms, and letting it be fully understood that I wasn’t going to waiver in my thought process.

Didn’t think about what I was wearing, just looked him square in the eye and spoke my piece. Got my way and come next month I’m out from under any contract with zero cost to me.

Lesson here:
If you have to “deal” with some people , don’t worry about what you’re wearing. Be firm and to the point.
Clothes don’t make the person, ATTITUDE is what carries the day.

celebrated my victory with a pair of mcmuffins as a late breakfast, now I'll need a pair of size 10 jeans

JoAnne Wheeler
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Its all about CONFIDENCE and ATTITUDE - you got it girl
JoAnne Wheeler

StacyCD
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Phyliss,

Way to stick up for yourself!

queenie
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
They would have let you out of it regardless as it's the law, but yeah! You go on with your bad self!

Eileen
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Good for you Phyliss! Confidence carries the day!

Eileen

tricia_uktv
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Yay, dead right - and it takes time and practice to develop both the attitude and the confidence. We've each got to find our own way. Great story though Phyliss, hope your back on the diet!

paulaN
01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Way to go Phyliss. Did you do all of that talking in your best fem voice. Or did you growl like a guy on a mission.

Phyliss
01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Way to go Phyliss. Did you do all of that talking in your best fem voice. Or did you growl like a guy on a mission.

Would have loved to be able to carry it off in a nice fem voice, but I'm not that good at it. Besides I didn't want to be too distracted from my "mission"

Didn't "growl" either but made my thoughts known

My whole point is that no matter what you wear,.... confidence is the main thing

Kim_Bitzflick
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM
You are absolutely right. If you are going to do something, make sure you are confident in what you are doing.

If it is to be, it is up to me!

sissystephanie
01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Having confidence and the right attitude will always carry the day. I had a similar situation with my cell phone company last year. They were advertising a neat new phone free for new customers. I was told on the phone that I could get one for $50.00 if I extended my contract for two years. I decided to do as you did. See them in person! My outfit was very similar to the one you wearing in your avatar, although my top was pink and my heels were lower.But my skirt was identical to yours!

I walked thru the Mall to the kiosk, and asked for the manager. When he came up to me, I told him I had been a customer of his company since cell phones were invented, but would change if I couldn't get the new phone free. To make a long story shorter, I not only got the phone for free(without signing a new contract), I also got a belt holster for it and the charging cord for my car! The other employees did stare at me some. But that does not bother me. I never raised my voice, which BTW is definitely not feminine!

So you are absolutely right. Have confidence and the right attitude, and you will certainly get by.:2c:

beenherelongtime
01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
good work, it is impossible to deal with utilities