PDA

View Full Version : 1st therapy session

BrittneySmith
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I just got home from my first meeting with a counselor, and it was amazing. She so very warm, comforting, and just made me fell comfortable from the get go. She asked what my problem was, I told her that I've never felt right and that I can remember since that I was five years old that I've never felt right. I told her how I'm uncomfortable as a male and I'm just not happy and cant remember the last time that I was. Within 15 minutes, she confirmed what I've known all along, but have just been to scared to admit to myself, that I am transgendered. What a sense of relief. It's not that I needed to hear it from a professional, but it was good to confirm what I've know all along.

We talked about transitioning, and how I need to do things on my timetable. There was absolutely ZERO pressure to transition overnight and that it takes time. I can't even begin to explain to all of you how good this feels. I can actually start living my life the way that I want to, not how society deems I should. It is all about becoming more and more comfortable in my skin, and doing what I need to in order to let Brittney be happy. We talked about hormones, ffs, srs, etc... She said that my face structure was good, and that I wouldn't have trouble at all.

Wow, I'm totally on cloud nine right now. Just wanted to share my story.

Kisses,

Brittney

AllieSF
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Congratulations Britney. You took the first step. It may seem small, but in the long run, it was a very big one. The first step always is. Now you have a few thousand more to take, some small and some that may seem like long leaps. Good luck and just remember that it is not a race, but a nice stroll though life. Be sure to take you time and to enjoy the wonderful view, smells and sensations along the way. Thanks for sharing.

jennylw2
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh sweetie that's great. I'm so glad to hear that the appointment went well. I'm going to call her tomorrow and make an appointment too. It sounds like the complete opposite of the session I had. You do have a pretty face and I'm glad you heard it from her. I'm proud of you. Hang in there and drop me a line if you feel like it.

Hugz,
Jenny :love:

Kimberley
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Good to hear. It seems as though she is intent on making sure your life is together instead of focusing on being trans. This is excellent.

We know what we are and dont need to be told by someone else. All we need it assistance in walking through the minefields that we have created for ourselves then learning to avoid them.

My sessions were at the beginning (the first year or so) very difficult as I had to face my own BS from the past. Then it got a lot easier as I began to put healthy strategies in place to help me through. Today things are much better for me. Yes the dysphoria is there and probably always will be but I am much better able to handle it and identify the triggers so that I can at least attempt to be proactive. My therapy today is more affirming than problem solving so I often leave feeling pretty good but still, there are days...

Keep at it hon. It really is worth it in the long run if you have a good and honest relationship with your therapist with the prime focus on honesty.

:hugs:
Kimberley

BrittneySmith
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. I know that the road ahead is not easy, but it is necessary to be happy. I want to be able to live life and be happy. Today was the first step in achieving happiness. I've got to work on a timeline and figure out what I want to do.

I'd love to say more right now, but I'm too tired.

B

Kimberley
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
My suggestion would be to NOT put together any sort of timeline. Just let things evolve on their own. Just my thoughts. Others will disagree.

I think the timeline should come when you are starting full transition and RLE. That is where the planning for a successful transition has to be; coming out at work and engaging HR, family and friends on the support side. All of that and a ton more (finances, FFS, electro etc) needs to be looked at then. For now you are just starting so take a breath and look around. You cant disappoint yourself that way and transition is a lot more likely to be successful for you and those around you.

:hugs:
Kimberley

tgirlinva
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Congratulations... Our first session appears to have been the same. It is a very cool experience. To have someone understand and sympathize with what you're going through is awesome! Take the opportunity to lay out all your fears, don't feel that you will be judged. I at first was choosing my words very carefully because I thought my therapist would say that I'm not transgendered, but I quickly realized that the goal is to find out whether I'm not. If I'm not, so be it, if I am, so be it. That would be my recommendation: to speak as if you're talking to your best friend, without judgment. FYI, my therapist thinks that I'm undoubtedly a TS and I'm counting down the days until I get to start HRT :) Welcome to the sisterhood!

Kaitlyn Michele
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
thats a great experience...good for you!! i always liked getting validation of what i already knew

one thing i am finding is that the timeline has gotta go....too much out of your control....for me everytime i suffer a minor setback, i get major feelings of depression, shame and self pity...ie gender dysphoria.....so i'm giving up my schedule and trying to enjoy the ride....

some days are definitely better/worse than others...

Chibi~Cthulhu
01-23-2009, 11:17 PM
some people need things to be organized and some dont. go with what feels right for you imo, if you want a timeline make one if you dont then just go with the flow.

myself i will probably make a rough outline of what i want to do. right now its all about waiting. waiting for my speech therapy software to arrive, waiting for my first therapy appointment (26 days to go!), waiting for unsupportive family to realize that im not going to change myself for them, waiting for society to realize that the only "choice" involved for g.i.d. individuals is between being happy and being miserable.

like i said waiting, i should be used to the hurry up and wait game though.