PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I wear a skirt as a Guy

skirt_guy
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
OK, I am an airline pilot. Wear a skirt where I can but with much reservation, not trying to be a girl, just like wearing a skirt. Are there places that you know of that I can wear a skirt in male mode without fear of retribution? I don't mind the occasional glance or stare, but don't care for the group of guys heckling me from across the gas station. I'll never see them again but it interrupts my thought of just being one with the many.

SG

KimberlyS
01-24-2009, 01:15 AM
The times I have been out as a guy wearing a skirt and usually some other feminine attire I have been away from home and just go shopping and hit the malls or other similar public places. And usually a stop for a meal. Yea get some looks. But like you said I will never see them again.

skirt_guy
01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Are there cities that lend themselves to being more inclined to allowing such dress? I've been through so many hotel halls that it's grown old. Fly to NY and you might as well be in a foreign county. What about the NW? Portland was pretty open minded. Ideas? Still looking for ideas for guy friendly shoes with skirts. My black loafers don't look right with hose and a knee length skirt, but then neither does nike running shoes. caught in the middle......Thanks.

joann07
01-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Are there cities that lend themselves to being more inclined to allowing such dress? I've been through so many hotel halls that it's grown old. Fly to NY and you might as well be in a foreign county. What about the NW? Portland was pretty open minded. Ideas? Still looking for ideas for guy friendly shoes with skirts. My black loafers don't look right with hose and a knee length skirt, but then neither does nike running shoes. caught in the middle......Thanks.

San Francisco and Seattle are two cities I know that are very open.
As for buying skirts, I'd go to the local thrift store, such as Goodwill, to start.
I've shopped there in drab and had no problems whatsoever.

There are no laws against buying skirts as a guy and you don't have to explain yourself to the cashier or anyone.
Just treat shopping like any other day and act like you done it thousands and thousands of times.
If you act nervous or suspicious, people will notice, so just act naturally, be yourself, and you'll be fine.
No cashier or store will deny you from buying something because, in these tough economic times, they need your business.

You can tell when a store is TG friendly because it has VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, and AMERICAN EXPRESS on the door.

Hugs!

skirt_guy
01-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks JoAnn, I have recently cracked the code on Goodwill and SA and trying on clothes. No one seemed to notice. Went with the wife when she had to buy a new wardrobe for a new job and grabbed a skirt off the clearance rack. I was wearing black hose under my jeans with black ropers. She was calling my name wondering where I was when I opened the dressing room door. She grinned seeing me in a knee length knit skirt with my black hose and ropers. Kinda fashionable!! But then she went "reality" on me and I changed. She is fine with it within our own boundaries, however I want to venture out. My current environemt, W TN , is not real open minded and I want to find other places that I can go to dress the way I want. Thanks for your input.

SG

mellissa
01-24-2009, 02:34 AM
hey ya maybe even wearing a skirt that looks like a kilt or something then you can say your just wearing a kilt

vivianann
01-24-2009, 02:38 AM
No where. Unless you want to wear a skirt in the cocpit while flying, but I am sure someone would complain.

Intertwined
01-24-2009, 04:44 AM
I have found, you can get heckled over just about anything, the cloths you wear, the car you drive, the food you eat. One thing I have noticed, if someone, or a group sees they have gotten a rise out of you from the heckling, the keep it up, Usually but not always, if they don't see a reaction, they stop.

As for your question of where.

Here is some of the places I go.

1. Grocery Shopping at Ralphs
2. Window Shopping at the Mall
3. New Chainsaw Blade at Lowe's
4. Post Office and Bank

1http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9860&albumid=927&dl=1232403938&thumb=1 2http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9655&albumid=927&dl=1232200215&thumb=1 3http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9644&albumid=927&dl=1232199375&thumb=1 4http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9987&albumid=927&dl=1232602284&thumb=1

Nigella
01-24-2009, 05:09 AM
I know of a country where it is perfectly acceptable for a guy to wear a skirt

SCOTLAND

JoAnne Wheeler
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
ANYWHERE - so long as you are bigger and tougher than anyone else !
JoAnne Wheeler

Emma Chase
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I have seen guys in utlikilts here in the city ... nobody bats an eye at them.

Magickman
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
"Where Can I wear a skirt as a Guy?"

I am a single guy, so I wear skirts and heels to single's parties, especially dance parties.

Nobody gives me any trouble, so my limited Tae Kwon Do skills remain untested.

A few of the women offer critical comments, such as "You'll never meet a woman dressed like that."

But they are regularly proved wrong, by the women who want to dance with me and to chat.

At root, is the old confidence thing. If you are confident in what you do; flying a plane, riding a bike, or wearing a skirt, that confidence projects to others and most will respect it.

Also, as a pilot, you could offer to empty the latrine over the home of anyone who objects. Say that you have a laser guided sighting device with 99% accuracy.

MissConstrued
01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm with Magickman on this one. It's all about confidence. If you carry the attitude that "Yeah, I'm a guy, and I'm wearing a skirt -- what ya gonna do about it?" then no one will bother you. That attitude will show in how you carry yourself.

If, on the other hand, your posture shows that you fear heckling, you will get heckling. The best advice I can offer is to just go for it. You will get some heckling at first. But if you don't let it bother you; if you thicken your hide a bit, and gain that confidence, you'll not only be generally ignored -- but find that many people will go out of their way to be pleasant to you.

So, put on your skirt, stand tall, walk proud, look people in the eye and smile.

Jenny J
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
No where. Unless you want to wear a skirt in the cocpit while flying, but I am sure someone would complain.

I was going to mention that too but I guess you'd have to be pretty tight with your Capt. or F/O. My recommendation would be to save it for the RON. Less 'explainin to do!'

Happy Aviating

Jen

:rose2:

kellyanne
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't wear a skirt outside of the highlands or at a Robbie Burns dinner laddies - I mean ladies.

MarcieM
01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I have found, you can get heckled over just about anything, the cloths you wear, the car you drive, the food you eat. One thing I have noticed, if someone, or a group sees they have gotten a rise out of you from the heckling, the keep it up, Usually but not always, if they don't see a reaction, they stop.

As for your question of where.

Here is some of the places I go.

1. Grocery Shopping at Ralphs
2. Window Shopping at the Mall
3. New Chainsaw Blade at Lowe's
4. Post Office and Bank

1http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9860&albumid=927&dl=1232403938&thumb=1 2http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9655&albumid=927&dl=1232200215&thumb=1 3http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9644&albumid=927&dl=1232199375&thumb=1 4http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9987&albumid=927&dl=1232602284&thumb=1

Let me ask you a question.
Do you think you could do this in public anywhere in the USA?
Without fear of being beaten?

DeniseNJ
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
The problem with wearing a skirt in guy modem out in public is picking the right heels to go with it:doh:

MarcieM
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
The problem with wearing a skirt in guy modem out in public is picking the right heels to go with it:doh:

And still having the ability to run like hell in them?

Rachel Morley
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
A few of the women offer critical comments, such as "You'll never meet a woman dressed like that."
I used to get this quite a lot when I went to parties when was single and I used to wear one of my blouses. It used to suck big time. :sad: They were fairly obviously women's blouses but thankfully though, not all women are like this and sometimes I would get compliments too. :)

To answer your question Skirt Guy, I would agree with what others have said like San Francisco for example, while I've never worn a skirt in boy mode in public there (yet), I have worn some very feminine clothes in boy mode there and no one said a single thing. I saw their eyes look me up and down but it was fine. I did the same thing in Las Vegas and there was no problem their either.

It can also depend on your age and who you hang out with. Batty Batty Bats had a really great experience doing something similar. If you want to read about it click HERE (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98624).

Intertwined
01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

I don't have a fear of being beaten, over anything, anytime (long story later)

I do understand your question, to be honest, that can happen anywhere, even here in Orange County California. The two most important things I can say is, be Confident, and be aware of your surroundings. An example, a couple of days ago, I was wearing the skirt in photo #1 with 5 inch heels, I was going to the 7-11 for a snack, when I pulled into the parking lot, I had parked next to a car that had 3 Marines (we live next to a Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton) in a car waiting for their buddy to come out of the 7-11, it was early evening, I waited in my truck till the guys left.

What I am trying to say, If it don't feel right, TRUST your feelings, there is always another place and another time.

MarcieM
01-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I don't have a fear of being beaten, over anything, anytime (long story later)

I do understand your question, to be honest, that can happen anywhere, even here in Orange County California. The two most important things I can say is, be Confident, and be aware of your surroundings. An example, a couple of days ago, I was wearing the skirt in photo #1 with 5 inch heels, I was going to the 7-11 for a snack, when I pulled into the parking lot, I had parked next to a car that had 3 Marines (we live next to a Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton) in a car waiting for their buddy to come out of the 7-11, it was early evening, I waited in my truck till the guys left.
So, you do have fear under certain circumstances.

Nicki B
01-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Wear a skirt where I can but with much reservation, not trying to be a girl, just like wearing a skirt.

Do you want to wear a masculine skirt, or a feminine one?

Don't we all? We'd be silly not to. :strugglin

AliceJaneInNewcastle
01-24-2009, 10:03 PM
I guess it's a reflection of society that it's safer to present a reasonably passable fully female image than to present a part male, part female image.

My father does scottish dancing, and wears a kilt with all of the right socks, shoes, shirt etc without a problem. Ignores me when I call it a skirt, though. :)

Alice

marika_jaye
01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
My current environemt, W TN , is not real open minded

Are you quite certain of this? What I mean is, I've read a lot of people claim their locale is definitely NOT CD friendly, not due to any research they've conducted on the subject, but on their own personal fears and/or misconceptions.

My personal opinion is that people are mostly very decent no matter what corner of the US you live in, live and let live so to speak. When I was an over-the-road driver a few years back, I ventured out from my truck in skirts, etc. in several "closed minded" areas with absolutely no problems. On the few occasions that I was approached, it was by people who didn't notice/care or were turned on by it.

Even in an upscale neighborhood in my northeast Wisconsin hometown, I've walked the streets in a skirt on several occasions and haven't heard a peep from anyone.

MarcieM
01-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I guess it's a reflection of society that it's safer to present a reasonably passable fully female image than to present a part male, part female image.

exactly...

AliceJaneInNewcastle
01-24-2009, 10:55 PM
exactly...
I probably should have said "indictment" rather than "reflection".

Alice

Intertwined
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Fear of what, being beaten, killed or worse, no.

Fear of rejection, yes.

MarcieM
01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Fear of what, being beaten, killed or worse, no.

You live in CA. I can assure you that most places in the USA do not share the same liberal view as many in CA do.

curse within
01-25-2009, 03:33 PM

SCOTLAND

You are correct...Now in Scotland it is a normal sighting however big difference when sporting an age old tradition with a masculine history ,opposed to expressing ones feminine side with female clothing.............. Other cultures also still dress in a manner that could be accociated to a gown or long dress but is still considered masculiant..

Jennifer Cox
01-25-2009, 05:15 PM

SCOTLAND

Yeah, but only if it's Plaid! :D

Intertwined
01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
You live in CA. I can assure you that most places in the USA do not share the same liberal view as many in CA do.

I don't doupt that.

Nicki B
01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but only if it's Plaid! :D

Both the Welsh & Irish wear kilts, too - the Irish ones aren't tartan?

sissystephanie
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM

I now wear skirts, as a guy, almost all the time when I go out in public. And yes, I think I could do it anywhere in the USA. I have no fear of getting beaten, anyone trying it should have a fear of dying!!
Portland, Oregon, Seattle and Atlanta are all places that you could easily dress that way.

I personally go to Kroger's, Publix, Home Depot or Lowes, Walmart, Post Office, any one of several Malls, and of course out to eat in skirts, or other feminine attire. But always as a guy, since I don't do makeup well, or fix wigs properly.

Seriously, people really don't pay that much attention to clothes on others. Yes, if it is a well endowed lady in a very skimpy top she willo bet a lot of looks. I was at a Walmart this evening wearing a brown deep v-neck top, a light brown corduroy skirt, brown tights, and a pair of brown ladies loafers. Some of the many customers took second looks at me, but most never even glanced at me.

I know I am a CD, and don't care what other people think of my clothing. If you don't like it, don't look at me!!

Skirt Man, try wearing some ladies loafers. The only difference is a little heel height! I am not to steady in high heels, so stay of them as much as possible. Try Payless, shoemall.com or zappos.com for some rather inexpensive shoes.

Marjory
01-26-2009, 09:02 AM
A couple of times I've seen guys wearing knee length skirts at the Lowes by me, It's a pleated heavy denim type material and they wear the boots and socks. They looked like carpenters or construction. Both people I saw were big... I wouldn't comment.

KimberlyS
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
...The two most important things I can say is, be Confident, and be aware of your surroundings. ....... If it don't feel right, TRUST your feelings, there is always another place and another time.

Intertwined, I agree with you very much so. When I am out and about enfemme I stick to mainstream public places with a mix of people. But since we are presenting a female image we need to think like one also. Especially when we are alone. And for those of us that do not pass, we also need to pick an choose a bit. There is no need to cause potential trouble when we are trying to gain acceptance.

.... I can assure you that most places in the USA do not share the same liberal view as many in CA do.

Marcie, I live in small town central USA out here on the plains with redneck cowboy and farmer types. While they may not be as liberal or accepting, I find most people even in conservative small towns are tolerant as long as you are not shoving the CDing in their faces. Just act normal, do what you came to do, then go about your business. Yea I get a lot of looks, stares, some comments, and the "what ever" looks.

I do try to stick to public, mainstream places that have a mix of people and stay away from the bars and similar places filled with groups and alcohol.

kim

julie w
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I have seen three guys wearing skirts in public one in Seattle one in Frankfurt
Germany and one at Toronto airport . and none of them were crossdressers
and were wearing (guy Skirts ) not scottish kilts the guy at the airport was in the book store
I didnt see anybody stare although I am sure people noticed I thought
good for him