PDA

View Full Version : Short Skirt, Yet Stay Warm....

Paulacder
01-25-2009, 08:12 AM
This past weekend I drove to a near by town to go to a "Certain" theatre. Above the knee Skirt, Heels with Panty Hose, Sweater, With a Trench Coat. It was cold that evening, my car thermometer said 6 degrees. I parked in a snow covered parking lot. As I entered the lobby of the teatre I was asked by the Lady selling tickets, Arent You Cold?, and really I wasn't. As I looked around everyone, men and women alike, wore pants and boots or heavy shoes, here I stood with a short skirt with open toe strap back heels on. Again I noticed I was not cold. I wondered why that was , does you body heater kick in high gear when it sences a lack of clothing in colder weather. Has anyone else noticed this when "Out And About" in very cold weather?...

Angie G
01-25-2009, 09:37 AM
No I haven't in real cold weather I freeze my buns off hun I fish and hunt with 5 layers on top 3 on the bottom. Heave socks and a real good pair of boots but then I'm out there for hours at a time.:hugs:
Angie

MarciManseau
01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I wear dresses or skirts almost all winter except for really horrible days, and I'm rarely cold, especially as I have a remote car starter which is really amazing. I do wear pantyhose or stockings, and always a long wool coat and knee-high boots most days.

Hugs, Marci :hugs:

jamie55
01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Has anyone else noticed this when "Out And About" in very cold weather?...

Hi Paula: I have also noticed this. I live in a very cold place and yet I love wearing skirts & heels year 'round. I suppose that if I had to stay out for a very long time I'd have to cover up better but I have been known to go hiking in sub freezing weather more than once. I think maybe the adrenaline rush helps to keep us warm.

beenherelongtime
01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
i don't really relate to this, as i have never been out in a skirt when it was cold. but just the other day, i told a friend of mine a story that i had had a thought one day in the cold. i was sitting in my nice warm car waiting for a delivery, when i noticed a young girl come out of the subway wearing shorts. i thought gee how can she wear shorts on a day like today, then it hit me, that she was as covered up as she would be if she had on a skirt.

BeckiB
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I was recently in Norway over Christmas and I have to say I seen a lot of short skirts being worn. It amazed me but a very common sight was a girl wearing a short skirt with tights and boots out and about shopping. I just struck me because that is not common here in the winter.

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I've never worn a skirt to go out, but I do wear them all year, no matter what season, inside. It gets very cold here in the winter. Although we keep it pretty warm inside the house, there are times when it still feels a bit chilly inside and I don't care to crank up my gas and electric bill.

Even when not toasty warm, I will wear a short skirt in the house and without feeling cold as a result. I'll usually wear stockings, a sweater top and my almost-knee-high boots with it, and don't feel cold or uncomfortable. Even my wife (gg) who, looks beautiful in a short mini, will sometimes ask me if I'm cold like that while she wears cotton leggings or something that covers her legs up. Sometimes I really have to crank the heat up to get her to wear one around the house (which she usually does on her own if she doesn't feel too cold).

My best guess is that when you're wearing what you want to be wearing and feel comfortable in it (both mentally and physically), that your body takes care of itself accordingly. The warm parts of your body are amply warm enough to keep providing warmth to the more exposed parts as the blood flows.

In terms of not seeing as many skirts out in public, regardless of weather, I've been noticing that trend continue for a long time - at least around here. It doesnt' seem too long ago (though it was many years ago) that it was common to see women wear skirts more frequently while out in colder weather (although not always very short). Longer coats were usually seen worn over them. I think the skirt has just been loosing it's share in the fashion marketplace. :( With women generally wearing skirts less and/or simply having less desire to wear them, it makes perfect sense that it is less likely to see them out in colder weather in them.

Though the skirt's popularity seems to be fading with many gg's, it will always be very popular with me! I suspect it will always be popular to a large percentage of men as well, regardless of weather they allow themselves the pleasure of wearing them like we do, or just prefer to see them on women. Honestly, women's legs do look best when wrapped up in a nice, short skirt. Or that's my personal preference on a woman's lower-half. I know everyone has their own taste and I'm cool with that. :)

docrobbysherry
01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't go out in skirts, but DO in drab shorts.
I get chilled in summer, as soon as the sun goes down!:sad:

But, then again, I'm NOT wearing pantyhose!:heehee:

Cristi
01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I posted about this in another thread just a few days ago. Even though it has been in the low teens or single digits here for the past few weeks, there are still quite a few professional women wearing skirts/dresses to and from work, which means I've still been seeing them on sidewalks and parking lots.

The only change they'll make for the bad weather is to change into sneakers or boots before leaving the house, and carry their fancier shoes (or leave a pair at work to change into once they arrive). Navigating snow and ice in a nice pair of heels with NO tread on them to speak of can be hazardous!

I went out dressed the same the other day, above the knee skirt, nothing but pantyhose on my legs. It was about 8 degrees outside. I've found that for outings of less than 15 minutes or so, my legs will stay warm no matter how cold it is outside. Anything longer than that can start to get chilly. :(

If I have lots of warm layers on the top of my body and can keep my torso warm, my legs don't bother me. And it is NICE to feel the cold air on my exposed legs as my skirt swishes from side to side. :)

Karren H
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Getting cold is clothing independent for me.... I freeze in the winter no matter what I wear... I just look prettier in a skirt... :0

Zenith
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
I have to echo what has been said...your only problem area is your shoes...GGs will wear outfits like that in the cold but with boots...like your mom told you...keep your feet and head warm...besides winter boots are very sexy...:battingeyelashes:...also ribbed heavy tights are a step up for really cold days...

BekiJ
01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I used to play basketball outside, down to about 25 degrees, or when the ball would no longer bounce, in shorts. I found that if the upper body was warm, the legs were ok. But then the activity built up some body heat.

So what else was going on in the car? ;)

Hugs
BekiJ

Kimberly Marie Kelly
01-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Theory I have is that with a skirt, there is a larger volume of air trapped under the skirt that serves to keep your body warmer. When wearing pants there isn't this volume of air acting as insulation.. Think entry doors with a heated air blower to keep the cold air out. :battingeyelashes:

erickka
01-26-2009, 07:19 AM
I recently moved north from the Tampa Bay area of Florida, and to tell you the truth, after 30 years of that heat, anything below 60 degrees is freezing to me!! I still wear skirts, but with 2 pair of opaque tights.

MsJanessa
01-26-2009, 07:21 AM
My secret for staying warm in short skirt is wearing thigh high boots.

vikki2020
01-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Been out twice this winter,short skirt,and knee high boots. Your right, never feel the cold. I think the adrenalin kicks in.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-26-2009, 09:27 AM
When I wear a short skirt in winter, I literally freeze. We girls from the South can not stand cold weather very good.
JoAnne Wheeler

fancy nancy
01-26-2009, 10:14 AM
As long my feet and hands stay warm ,I really do not freeze ti death in winter .Of coarse I wear tights under my dresses and also under my pants ,This extra of clothing helps out.:)

carolinebrookes
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
In general I prefer the cooler weather anyway to warm/hot summer days when wigs and makeup become sometimes uncomfortable to wear.

I do go out more in winter and don't suffer too much with cold legs. I do sometimes wear a longer skirt and knee high boots if I am going to shop, or dare I say it.....a pair of jeans and boots!

On the occasions I go out with an above the knee skirt, I don't tend to feel the cold till I go inside a store or home where the heating kicks in and makes you realise that it is cold outside.

When all said and done I just wear what I feel like at the time and if it means venturing out in a shorter skirt with hose, if that's taken my fancy to wear that day.

RylieCD
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
We were out this weekend doing errands and such but I did notice that it must have been winter formal or somthing. I could not understand how these highschoolers could be dressed (or not dressed) with so little. (brrr it is sooooo cold right now)

Samantha43
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Short skirts and high heels.........how can you get cold in something sooooo hot? :D

tricia_uktv
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
In England the girls walk around with the most ridiculous short skirts on and seem to survive. I'm older? and a bit more careful, so I take my sleeping bag with me at all times.

Deanna2
01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
It is amazing how warm pantyhose can be. In fact I wear pantyhose in the winter to stay warm and I never get cold legs.

mannph
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree, pantyhose keeps me amazingly warm in winter.

Paula T
01-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I believe it was slightly below zero last saturday night when I left the club that I was at. I was dressed in a knee length dress and mary jane pumps but I did have on a longer coat. The walk to the car was about a half a block. Stepping through the piled up snow was the hardest and I might add a bit hard on my new shoes heels:sad:. But suprisingly enough the cold I noticed most was my ears with my steel earrings.:eek:They really get cold fast.:straightface: