PDA

View Full Version : "Are those women's boots?"

Magickman
01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I was minding my own business, waiting at the auto service store, for the oil to be changed on my truck.

Another customer was staring at my boots, and finally he asked, "Are those women's boots?"

Not missing a beat, I replied, "No. Those are mine."

Does that ever happen to you? If so, what do you say?

Alice B
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
never had it happen, but that was a great response.

Di
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Great answer!!!:thumbsup:

Patty
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
very good answer

Rachel Morley
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
As a matter of fact it has happened to me ... just once. At work one day I had on a pair of 1" heel black women's ankle boots and a male co-worker said "those boots look like women's ones" ... I just said in a rather nonchalant, non caring way, "really? ..... I don't know, they were in the guys section at Goodwill". I think he thought that I was either dumb that I couldn't tell the difference or that I was just plain weird. Anyway, I don't wear those boots to work anymore, in fact I now wear 2" ones outside of work :tongueout

Deanna2
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I had a reasonably similar experience the other day.

My wife has a rather gorgeous pair of Diane Ferrari platform shoes that are quite chunky, but very comfortable to wear - which is what I do around the house.

The other day my son and his wife were over for a visit and he said to me 'You haven't taken up wearing clogs, have you?' Before I could even think of an answer, let alone make one, my wife piped up and said 'Oh no - they are not clogs, but my very good DF shoes'.

As luck would have it no more was said and the conversation moved on.

Sandra Dunn
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I over heard a woman as she past by me tell the man she was with that I was wearing womens shoes, penny loafer style 1/2 inch heel. Then my daughter , before she met me as Sandra, saw me in a pair of boots and asked a very similar question and I replied as you did. My daughter was my maid of honor at my wedding.

Like you now days if I'm not totally dressed up and some one raises the same question I respond that no their mine.

HUGS Sandra

goofus
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I agree good answer :)

Paula T
01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
I have been wearing my girls boots out a lot lately and haven't had anything like that happen to me yet. If it does I plan on saying that they are dress boots that I found at a second hand store in the mens section and they fit and looked nice and are comfortable so don't really know and don't care.:) by the way they have kind of a hard heel and make a little noise on hard floors:eek:

MaryAnn40c
01-27-2009, 12:39 AM
great come back:D

Shannon
01-27-2009, 12:45 AM
I haven't worn my boots out en drab, but I did wear a pair of women's short-shorts last summer when I went to my leg waxing appointment. Plans changed afterwards, so rather than going right back home after my appointment, I had to pick up my 12-year daughter at her friend's house. She noticed right away, and asked me, in front of her friend and her friend's mother "Are those women's shorts?" Before I could say a word, the mother stepped in front of me to get a better view, saying "Let me see." I was totally unprepared (wish I had your "No, their mine" answer!). I simply said "They are shorter than most men's shorts." and changed the subject by asking how her day had gone.

Sally2005
01-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Good one! My reply might be... I'd don't know, I never checked. Or..why? are you looking for some also? Or maybe, 'that's what the sales person said, I thought they were joking'.

Tina_N
01-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Several weeks ago my wife called me from a Thrift store. She said she was looking at the boots and found some really nice ones that were in my size. They have some kind of fake suede top sewn to a rubber shell bottom. Good tread but no heel to speak of. Fully pile and thin-sulate lined with a fake fur cuff at the top. Normally I try them on first to make sure they fit but I was almost 20 miles away. I told her to get them.

I tried them on when she got home. I'm blessed/cursed with a small foot but a high arch and usually fit into a men's size 8 with arch supports. Sure enough the boots were size 8 but they felt tight both in width and toe room. I checked the label again and found in very small print "women's size 8". We had a good laugh about it. (She knows about Tina but is not fully supportive.) You can't take them back and they are very nice in deep snow. They're still a bit tight but I just wear thin socks, knee highs or pantyhose.

Now, if I can just get her to buy me another pair...something that is even more feminine...
I'm working on it.:)

RachelDenise
01-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Excellent response. And there you were all macho and stuff getting the oil changed in your truck. Nice way to blend your life. I can only hope that you were also underdressed at the time!

Claire Cook
01-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Great reply. Reminds me of a line from one of Lacey Leigh's books: "These aren't women's clothes, they're mine. No woman has ever worn them."

Gizmo, Debbie
01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes, that's the best reply - or else "No, they're mine. They certainly should be for what they cost me."

On the other hand, when people ask me "Are those breasts real?" I reply, "No, they're fake. My real ones are in my handbag." You should see their expressions as they try to work it out.

That going in the note book.:thumbsup::notworthy::lol2::go:

Lesley Ann
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
On Boxing day my Daughters came and picked me up for the Christmas family meal, apart from my youngest saying that I was looking more and more like my Sister! When we arrived at my Daughter's house she had just bought a new carpet so we were expected to take our shoes off and enter the house in our stocking feet (I was wearing 80 denier anckle socks) when my son-in-law came to greet me he looked down and saw my shoes (1.5" wedge heeled black court shoes) then looked at me and said "Your wearing woman's shoes" I wish I could say that I replied with wit and humour, but infact all I said was "AND!":o
and that was the end of the conversation, no one mentioned the fact that I was wearing ladies ackle socks, for which I was truly thankful,
Lesley Ann

cindym5_04
01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
That really was an awesome response.

I also like the fake breast ones... definitely needed the laugh this morning.

Thanks, ladies!

Jamie001
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Why not just reply "yes they are women's boots". Why make excuses? You are not breaking any laws.

geri-tg.
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Great come back.I had a lady ask if I was wearing womens jeans and I just said yes smiled and walked off.:)

JoAnne Wheeler
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I love my WOMEN'S BOOTS - I wore them to a Church social and no one said a thing

JoAnne Wheeler

krisinpink
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll frequently wear women's jeans and or chunky heeled boots, or cute loafers out while in drab. I've not had any one approach me, or ask me about anything (except for a clerk at a home improvement store a few check-lanes away who was speaking to a male co-worker and pointing at my jeans that day), but after having read this thread, I feel not only more confident, but better prepared with a couple of response options!!

thanks girls!

-Krissy

Karen564
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Good for you, what a Great Comeback!!!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm dying to see these boots..

Do they look anything like mine??

Karen

Sissy_in_pink
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
My wife use to ask me, whose undies am I wearing and I would always say they are mine, then she would say, I bet, so I would say, well I bought and payed for them so they must be mine.
Just because they were designed and made for women does not automaticaly made them women's.:2c:

Vicky_Scot
01-28-2009, 06:57 AM
I was minding my own business, waiting at the auto service store, for the oil to be changed on my truck.

Another customer was staring at my boots, and finally he asked, "Are those women's boots?"

Not missing a beat, I replied, "No. Those are mine."

Does that ever happen to you? If so, what do you say?

I have used that line many a time. It really throws the person asking the question.

Xx Vicky xX

Paulacder
01-28-2009, 07:27 AM
I was recently setting in McDonalds having coffee while reading the morning paper. I glanced up at one point and noticed two elderly women setting in a boot staring at the ladies loafers that I had on. My ladies jeans had risen up and exposed my hose and anklet. Later one of the ladies went to the restroom, as she passed by me on her way back to her table she stopped and said that she loved my shoes, I smiled and thanked her the compliment........

Magickman
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
"I'm dying to see these boots."

Nothing fancy. Just an old pair of clunky man-made Skechers, with 3" heels, that are great for snow and slush.

They resemble this pair, from Zappos:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/50037898/c/216.html

kristinacd55
01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Fabulous answer!

wtb Jessica
01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
just wish i could be that fast of a thinker

lovincutie13
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Not sure which response i like better the one about the shoes or the breasts :doh: so hard to think :)

~Lena~

annabear99
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
A couple of yrs ago I was looking at shoes in Goodwill. I was totally in male mode except I was wearing mary janes. Suddenly a lady in her 50's behind me said "I like your shoes" I wasn't sure if she was being sarcastic or what so I just said "thanks". However she continued and said they looked really comfortable and they went well will my other clothes. She even wanted to know what brand they were. I lied and said my wife bought them for me as I kinda figured that she realize I was a straight guy who just happened to be wearing womens shoes. Anyway she seemed sincere about just being nice. Finally I said they weren't really normal wear for a guy and she just said "hey if they look good and feel good, then wear them and enjoy them". Then she walked off and joined her husband. At that point I looked up and there was a 20 somethingyr old girl who had been standing there listening to us. I gave her a smile and she simply smile back and mave me a thumbs up sign. It sure made me feel good. I ended up bying a pair of boots too.

EryLynn
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
You can usually get a "feel" for how the question is being asked.

If the feeling I get is one of scorn or ridicule, I've responded with "Why do you ask?" That stops the majority, one guy not only responded to that question (and I don't remember his reason), but asked again, I just told him that they were bought in another country.

Ery

Samantha43
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
That was a great response! I wish I could think of comebacks that fast.

rickie121x
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Good one! My reply might be... I'd don't know, I never checked. Or..why? are you looking for some also? Or maybe, 'that's what the sales person said, I thought they were joking'. :)Sally, what comedy TV programs do you write for? You are good!

KateSpade83
01-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Can you post a pic of the boots you wore?

Tracii G
01-29-2009, 02:47 AM
I was getting tires put on my SUV and was sitting in the waiting area next to a young couple.The guy was giving me some funny looks and said to his wife I think that guy has on womens jeans and boots.
She said oh hush! they look nice on him.He shut right up.She leaned over and said don't pay any attention to him hun BTW whare did you gets those boots they're really cute I have small feet too and can never find any in my size.

Samantha Kelsey
01-29-2009, 11:22 AM
How about "Are those womens boots?"
Yes you can buy them at the 'whatever' shoe shop. They're really good value and they have them in lots of colours and sizes. Would you like me to go with you? you might get a discount!

SarahLynn
01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Several weeks ago my wife called me from a Thrift store. She said she was looking at the boots and found some really nice ones that were in my size. They have some kind of fake suede top sewn to a rubber shell bottom. Good tread but no heel to speak of. Fully pile and thin-sulate lined with a fake fur cuff at the top. Normally I try them on first to make sure they fit but I was almost 20 miles away. I told her to get them.

I have a pair of these boots too. Bought them at a Wal-Mart several years ago. I only wear them in the cold and snow. My brother has always wanted to know about them and I either don't answer or change the subject. One day last year he wanted to know about them and instead of asking he reached down and felt the tops, then just said Oh. I was angry at his actions but chose to ignore it because he's sometimes really pushey and there was not way to stop the action.

I like them for the insulation they provide from the cold. I can wear them with only hosery on and they still keep my feet warm in some of the coldest of weather. I have worn them with only hose on, in Montana, when it was -34 f degrees and my feet stayed warm for the whole 3 hours I was outside.

SarahLynn