PDA

View Full Version : How bout some Transgender friendly schools/colleges

Tamera
01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Has anyone heard of some Transgender friendly schools or colleges? Maybe one of you went to one as Transgender.

What about those whose parents raise their children as female yet they were born male?

Just somethin to talk about.
Hugs,
Tamera

Malori Cross
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
My daughter attends Smith College, which has for a long time been known for being open & affirming to the Lesbian community. She tells me there are quite a few FTM students enrolled there, and it's all taken very casually. She's quick to add that there are far more straight women than gay, however.

To enroll at Smith, applicants must have been female at birth.

Kitty Sue
01-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Ohio University is very friendly and supportive of the LGBT community.

hrmnapoleon
01-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Ohio Wesleyan in Columbus, OH has something of a reputation for "liberalism" and scoring very well in admittance of GLTG students. Reed College in Portland, OR usually ranks pretty high in the list of the country's most "liberal" colleges. Other than that some of the larger state schools are generally fairly tolerant (Ohio State, U of Minnesota, Cal, USC, Vermont, U of Texas oddly enough, etc).

mollytyler
01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Went to University of Vermont and was "molly" for most of the time. Was met with receptive student body/organizations and administration.......liberal town of Burlington.....alas the diploma is not in Molly's name.....should work on changing that some day!!!

Maddie22
01-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I have done a little bit of research on this subject. Emerson College in Boston is extremely open minded and LBGT friendly. Also, New College of Florida is very open and has many TG students. To research this further you can go to the Princton Review to look up the Most LBGT friendly colleges.

A little something to keep in mind. I go to school in the south, and the Review rated my school in the top 20 in the category "Alternative lifestyles Not an Alternative" However, even though the overall student body is not nessasarily open to alternative lifesltyes, they do have resources available for the LGBT community, which any major university will have.

Oddlee
01-28-2009, 01:50 AM
The one in Forest Grove, Oregon... My daughter attends (and she knows about me and has seen me in a couple different outfits - doesn't matter to her). They have hosted presentations about cross-dressing, and had a drag review show as part of one of their fall orientation activities one year. I'm pretty impressed with the school - it's a small, private school more known for their professional graduate schools than undergraduate, and have maybe 7,000 students total.

Lee

Tamera
01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Very Good,
I see that colleges are open-minded and the TG community has expanded in this area.

You girls that have went to school as a girl. How was your interaction with the students/teachers/security and was there any issue with the bathrooms?

Hugs,
Tamera

Emily Anderson
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Umm, not that I can name any specific colleges, but I hear that in Asia transgenderism is so common these days that they even have loos for the 3rd sex.

Translation for you US folks. Loos = bathrooms = toilets = johns.

Butterfly Bill
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
The University of Kansas at Lawrence has KU Queers and Allies which has a few dozen members and puts on their annual Brown Bag Lunch Drag show in front of their student union building. I wasn't a student there (I graduated from the U of New Mexico in 1976), but I walked around the campus and was able to use their computer lab wearing skirts and dresses for ten years before I moved to my present town in 2004.

I would imagine that any state university of over 10,000 students would be a place where you can express yourself.

trannie T
01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Bob Jones University and Brigham Young University along with the military schools would probably not be very accepting. Most liberal arts colleges and universities in the west coast and in the east would be accepting.

Gizmo, Debbie
01-29-2009, 06:58 AM
I know i'm accross the Atlantic from you, but just this week i have started collage just up the road from me and i have been going as Debbie:D
Sure i get the usual funny looks and giggles from some of the folk but on the whole nobody seems to notice/care that in a CDer. I'm letting those in my classes away with calling me by my male name hoping that it may somehow ease any tensions????
My curriculum head has sudjested that i use the disabled toilets and i'm fine with that.
On the hole though , like i've said, nobody seems too care.:D

CharleneT
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Grinnnell College in Iowa. You'll find them very accepting of all sorts of variations in life and living.