PDA

View Full Version : We are making some progress

Marjory
01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
On the news this morning the was a video of a Telemundo reported dressed as a woman interviewing some football player. The anchor referred to it as "crossdressed not transvestite. I hate that word; it sounds like we have a mental problem.
Yesterday I went to a mall nearby... it was empty. I stopped in several clothing and shoe stores dressed in drab and ask about various things. In all cases the SA I was asked if it was for me and that I could try them on. In Nordstrom and older woman helped me and I asked about the fit of a shoe. She said that she would be happy to get anything I wanted to try on and we talked about crossdressing as if it was something that was perfectly acceptable... we also discussed what was new for spring like a couple of women. I got her card so I could buy the shoes if I decided to. Thing's somehow seem to be getting better.
Or they really need to sell stuff.

tommi
01-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Any and all of the above
I think west coast has more acceptable people not to mention
with the economics as they are stores want customers.

I also think that experienced sales staff know and accept us alot easier.

mykhelee
01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I tend to agree, if your money is green then you are welcome. You will still run into the occasional "sour apple" when out shopping no matter what you happen to be shopping for.
I was in a Borders and the SA refused to ring my purchase because I had my pentacle out and she said quote, "I will not ring anything up for that witchman." I go to Barnes and Noble for books now.
I find Wal-Mart cashiers to be a wee bit snarky when I am purchasing garments which are in my size.

Jodi
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Since I am in Steeler country, we are now being snowed with the Superbowl coverage. According to several steelers that the reporter interviewed, she was wearing a bridal gown for the interviews. That reporter is either totally crazy or they have a lot of balls to do that. Needless to say, it did not go over well with the players being interviewed.

Jodi

gennee
01-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Since I am in Steeler country, we are now being snowed with the Superbowl coverage. According to several steelers that the reporter interviewed, she was wearing a bridal gown for the interviews. That reporter is either totally crazy or they have a lot of balls to do that. Needless to say, it did not go over well with the players being interviewed.

Jodi

Hey, they need a little excitement. The week before the super bowl can be a drag. :D

Gennee

beenherelongtime
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
there are a lot of SAs out there that have seen everything and take things as a matter of course. i don't like using the term accepting as it sounds like something is wrong with us.

Marjory
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
. i don't like using the term accepting as it sounds like something is wrong with us.
Women wearing pants is considered acceptable... is there something wrong with them?

trannie T
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Being interviewed by a crossdresser will be the best thing to happen to the Steelers this week.

KateSpade83
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Of course they accept you when you're buying something, but not when making friends or dating or getting hired....

MissConstrued
01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Anyone turning down a customer nowadays has to be batshit crazy.

Of course they accept you when you're buying something, but not when making friends or dating or getting hired....

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. (IME, IMO, YMMV. See dealer for details.) Think positively, and find a new crowd to hang with.

vivianann
01-29-2009, 03:34 AM
I wish the crossdressed reporter was not wearing a wedding dress to interview the Steelers, this kind of behavior does not help us in a good light. She should have been wearing a skirt suit, or a nice dress, and proper makup, like a female reporter would do.
MissConstrued, I agree with the first and second part of your post. Making friends is not hard to do while crossdressed, if someone is having trouble with peaple while they are crossdressing it is because they could be offensive to the GG's out there, and behaving in a bad way. Peaple have been treating me well when I am enfemme, the GG's seem to treat me better when I am enfemme.

Marjory
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=vivianann;1589498]I wish the crossdressed reporter was not wearing a wedding dress to interview the Steelers, this kind of behavior does not help us in a good light. She should have been wearing a skirt suit, or a nice dress, and proper makup, like a female reporter would do.

The ensemble was not the point. The point was the word that was used; they used "crossdressed" instead of transvestite when referring to the reporter. 10 years ago the word would have been "transvestite" as always I hate that word. If someone ever refers to me as a transvestite to my face their next position will be prone.

MissConstrued
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Is that legal in the USA, discriminating against someone because of their religion?

Business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. A shopkeeper may throw anyone out of his store -- it's private property.

However, no one turns down customers and lasts very long. In the case of a lowly retail minion in a large chain, that minion will likely get a stern talking-to.

Carly D.
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I wonder every now and then about what some of the people think when I'm looking at shoes.. I don't normally touch the shoes if there are people around me.. but when the isle is empty I feel the shoe.. more to the point I size the heel up by my middle finger (the bird finger) and that tells me by how many knuckles I feel the heel at or my hand as to how high the heel is.. "try it on..." if someone told me I could try the shoes on (ala. when buying mens shoes) I don't know what I'd say.. the last time I went shoe shopping I was wearing tights and am still not sure what would happen if the woman would have said "you want to try these on before you buy them??".. HELL YES.. sure.. in my dreams and fantasies I say yes but in reality can't seam to muster the "yes" attitude.. and yet I would never buy shoes for me to wear without trying them on first in male wearing mode.. quite a double standard.. that's life..

JoAnne Wheeler
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Now That Is A really Good Story !!!!!!!!!!!

JoAne Wheeler

Marjory
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Now That Is A really Good Story !!!!!!!!!!!

JoAne Wheeler

Hope you meant that in a positive tone. Basically it comes down to self confidence. If you have it you can overcome any fears you may have about shopping. If you don't have it you will never know what shopping can be like.

Jodi
01-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I wonder every now and then about what some of the people think when I'm looking at shoes.. I don't normally touch the shoes if there are people around me.. but when the isle is empty I feel the shoe.. more to the point I size the heel up by my middle finger (the bird finger) and that tells me by how many knuckles I feel the heel at or my hand as to how high the heel is.. "try it on..." if someone told me I could try the shoes on (ala. when buying mens shoes) I don't know what I'd say.. the last time I went shoe shopping I was wearing tights and am still not sure what would happen if the woman would have said "you want to try these on before you buy them??".. HELL YES.. sure.. in my dreams and fantasies I say yes but in reality can't seam to muster the "yes" attitude.. and yet I would never buy shoes for me to wear without trying them on first in male wearing mode.. quite a double standard.. that's life..

Carly, I shop for women's shoes like I'm shopping for anything else. I try on every shoe before buying. I ensure that the shoe fits properly. If the SA does not ask you to try it on, you ask the SA. The SA is there to sell the merchandise, Especially in Macys where they work strictly commission.

Jodi

Jilmac
01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Marjory, I have taken it a step further. I have actually contacted sellers on craigslist and asked if I could try on what they are selling. Several women have invited me into their homes to let me try on their clothes and I have gotten into conversations with them about crossdressing. I have come to believe that people are becoming more accepting of us and our lifestyle. The SA at Nordstroms was doing her job in helping you select your clothes and shoes but I'm willing to bet she was genuinely interested in your conversation as well.

PretzelGirl
01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
I wonder every now and then about what some of the people think when I'm looking at shoes.. I don't normally touch the shoes if there are people around me.. but when the isle is empty I feel the shoe..

It gets easier to try them on when you realize the security people are still watching you whether someone else is in the aisle with you or not. Same applies for all the clothing and lingerie areas. The camera allows no secrets!

Marjory
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Just act as though it's the most natural thing in the world and do not look at anyone else. If someone does stare look them in the eyes. They leave.

Christinedreamer
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
When I went out for Halloween the very first time, I was going to be wearing a super frilly square dance dress.

I needed shoes and was still very nervous about buying them as I am not the least bit femme looking. (that silly fear has long ago disappeared.)

I went to a Payless store in Dallas and made the usual Halloween costume presentation to the SA. he said "no problem at all! Find a pair you want to try and then you can go to the private dressing room to try them on. It's over there through the green curtain".

Imagine my surprise when i went through the curtain and there were about 6 other guys all trying on ladies shoes for "Halloween" (yea sure, JUST for a halloween) Most had stockings or pantyhose on.

It was really funny as we all knew we were CDs but we were all afraid to make the first comment about it.

I am sure they SAs all are well aware of our needs.

This year I was dropping off some stuff at Goodwill around Halloween and noticed all the super fancy prom dresses and wedding gowns in the window. As was looking at them, along came three guys looking rather intently at them.

I went and sat in my car to see what would happen and sure enough several dresses were pulled from the rack display and were carried out by these three comrades in arms.

On a second trip back to GW I commented to the intake clerk about he dresses. She told me they are well aware of the large number of closeted CDs and they bring out the really pretty stuff and put it out front intentionally for the CDs. She says they always sell out in a couple days every year.

We are everywhere!

PretzelGirl
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I went to a Payless store in Dallas and made the usual Halloween costume presentation to the SA. he said "no problem at all! Find a pair you want to try and then you can go to the private dressing room to try them on. It's over there through the green curtain".

Imagine my surprise when i went through the curtain and there were about 6 other guys all trying on ladies shoes for "Halloween" (yea sure, JUST for a halloween) Most had stockings or pantyhose on.

Now that is funny!
:lol: