PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar

RobynGirl
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone,
Does being bipolar cause someone to crossdress or become transgendered? Or does crossdressing or transsexualism cause you to become bipolar? Or is there any connection between them at all?

Thanks,
Robyn:doh:

Schatten Lupus
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Best connection I know of is me being trans (with my earliest memories being from pre-school), and my girlfriend being bi-polar. And mornings are when she is at her worste.

celeste26
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
As far as I know they are completely separate phenomena

gennee
01-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Bipolar and transgender are two totally different phenomena. The former is a mental disorder that can be treated. The latter is what a person actually feels about themselves. It is not a mental disorder as the psychiatric claimed many years ago.

Gennee

Karren H
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Bipolar and transgender are two totally different phenomena. The former is a mental disorder that can be treated. The latter is what a person actually feels about themselves. It is not a mental disorder as the psychiatric claimed many years ago.

Gennee

:iagree:

sterling12
01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
The Classic BiPolar is a person who goes through alternating periods of mania and then deep depression. used to be called Manic-Depressive Disease.

Although there are some Transfolk who go through periods of depression, and sometimes dangerous depressions; I've never heard of, nor seen any literature that would suggest a linkage.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Cathytg
01-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree. There is no direct relationship between bipolar and CDing or other gender issues.

Shannon
01-29-2009, 12:43 AM
No relationship at all. If you happen to know a bi-polar CD/TV/TG it is pure coincidence that person is both.

Kate Simmons
01-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Nope.:)

carhill2mn
01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I am quite sure that there is no correlation!

JulieK1980
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Gennee

I agree, and so do I........and me! Sorry couldn't resist..:o

Vicki65
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I was diagnosed as suffering from bipolar depression around 8 or 9 years ago. I took the drugs for 3 years, and for me, the drugs DID work (to paraphrase the song).

I have had minor episodes since then, but my wife keeps my world level, and I haven't needed the meds since, but I guess I 'am' bipolar. Just like I 'am' a CD. The feelings might come and go but they are what I am.

If you've experienced proper depression (not just 'feeling down'), proper blacker than black missing periods from your life, you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.

Anyway - no, didn't have a damn thing to do with me liking strutting around in heels and skirts :)

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
It's already been stated and restated, but there is no direct relationship between someone's being bipolar and being a crossdresser anymore than a relationship between people who like romance novels who also happen to be social butterflies.

One can mix up any number of emotional and personality disorders and throw in crossdressing. Crossdressing is not caused by any of them - it is simply who you are.

Crossdressing can become a complication in one's life when one happens to be uneasy with who they are. If someone is unaccepting of their being a crossdresser AND they happen to be bipolar, it might cause extreme emotions about the personal turmoil that exists within them.

Nicki B
01-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Well I'm trans and not bipolar?

I don't see how being bipolar makes you gender dysphoric - there are enough bipolar cis-women who suffer from it - but I could see there might be a connection the other way round? Growing up as trans, IME, regularly seems to push people towards various types of mental illness, particularly depression?

geri-tg.
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
We have a daughter that is bi polar and I know first hand there is no connection.:sad:

JulieK1980
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Well I'm trans and not bipolar?

I don't see how being bipolar makes you gender dysphoric - there are enough bipolar cis-women who suffer from it - but I could see there might be a connection the other way round? Growing up as trans, IME, regularly seems to push people towards various types of mental illness, particularly depression?

Most definitely! My thought as well

Jilmac
01-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm, I always thought "bipolar" was the offspring of a polar bear and a black bear. :lol:

JoAnne Wheeler
01-30-2009, 02:34 PM
My Spouse (who is a medical professional) tells me that I am Bi-Polar Obsessive Compulsive in my CDing - I do not know whether there is any truth to that - she could just be in a BAD mood - when we discuss my CDing

JoAnne Wheeler

Billijo49504
01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
My wifes shrink told me the only connection between being bipolar and crossdressing is, we are married. :tongueout...BJ