PDA

View Full Version : Aftershock of a Great Weekend

JennSC
01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Reflections of my new discomfort…

Having just returned from a glorious full weekend of going out and about en femme, I found myself staring reality in the face at 8:30 on Monday morning in the Executive Conference Room sitting around the conference table nursing a 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee with other managers as we prepared to launch into our weekly strategy session.

I was still glowing from my weekend and had very little interest in focusing on the task at hand, but was lost in a daydream of high heels, black thigh highs, short skirts, tight tops, and perfectly applied make-up.

Suddenly my thoughts turned to my current state of dress, which starting from head to toe was:
-Brooks Brothers royal blue 100% 120s cotton buttoned down collar shirt.
-Ralph Lauren navy wool blazer.
-Palm Beach charcoal gray worsted wool slacks with a light gray banker’s stripe.
-Black Florsheim tasseled winged tip loafers.

Reflecting on this most fitting business attire, I chuckled inwardly to myself as I realized how uncomfortable I felt dressed in my somewhat peacock affected male drab.

It was disconcerting to feel so uncomfortable in what had heretofore felt so natural, normal, and comfortable… the true power wardrobe that with its subtle elegance and not so subtle brands shouted, “I have arrived!”

But the problem was that although this was some variation of my uniform du jour, it no longer reflected totally who I was. At that moment, that Monday morning, I would have liked nothing better than to have on a smart Anne Klein or Talbot’s business suit with hose and heels that shouted, “I have arrived, I am OUT, this is ME, I LOVE IT, and you need to GET OVER IT!”

There is a line from a Don Henley song that says, “You can’t put the genie back in the bottle…”

And now that the genie is out, what is this girl going to do with her????????:daydreaming:

cosmolovesph
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Under dress, it helps when you can't fully dress :)

Phyliss
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
As for the Brook Bros. shirt. Try looking on the other side of their store and you just may be surprised at the nice "business" looking shirts.

Trousers. .... Dress Barn or Fashion Bug has some nice pin striped pants

Shoes, ... looks like you'll have to explore Payless for something will work

Don't happen to have any ideas just now about the blazer

ReneeT
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Jenn,

I hear you loud and clear!! My business attire is similar to yours and I long for femme expression. This is how I accomplish it:

-very femme eyebrows - waxed every few weeks
-androgynous eyglasses
-silicone adhesive breast enhancers - "A"cup, 25 bucks at Target (sport coat masks them quite well, but you know they are there!)
-cami ( i wear one every day)
-panties
-trouser socks

This allows my inner femme expression while preserving the cultural norm at the office

Happily, I am working from home today - femme jeans, sweater, cami, regular forms, mid-heel mules. Yeah!

Lisa Catherine
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I have to agree with "Cosmo", underdressing gives me a thrill, and I'm a "Blue Collar Mutt"! I make my living in a a paper mill, and I'll underdress (pantyhose being the garment of choice) whenever I get the chance, best of luck, sis!!:hugs:

JoAnne Wheeler
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh, so very, very true. Try women's clothing that is similar looking to men's
I spent a week in Boston last Summer wearing women's shorts, tops, sandals and underwear - no one said a thing

JoAnne Wheeler

rickie121x
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
There is a line from a Don Henley song that says, “You can’t put the genie back in the bottle…” And now that the genie is out, what is this girl going to do with her????????:daydreaming:

More appropriately, wouldn't it be, “You can’t put 'Jeanie' back in the bottle…” :battingeyelashes:

Persephone
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
And now that the genie is out, what is this girl going to do with her????????:daydreaming:

I don't think you can stuff yourself back in that bottle, Jenn.

I used to do the whole Brooks/power suit thing back in the days "when I was somebody." Now I'm retired and don't give a crap.

I'm not typically a big underdresser, so can also understand that might or might not work for you.

Heck, there are board room people who have license plates that read "I'd rather be sailing" but they're still sitting there with you, doodling sailboat pictures.

One huge difference, of course, is that it isn't likely that a sailboat will actually cruise into the Executive Conference Room, but it is likely that a woman wearing a perfect skirt suit and heels to die for will be sitting there with you. That's pretty hard to bear. Still, you can think about how many pretty things your paycheck can buy! :)

You're probably going to have to find ways to comfortably maximize your Jenn time, vacations, travel, whatever works for you, unless you are ready to shop on the other side of the aisle and go for the skirt suited power female look.

Good luck, GF, I understand completely.

beenherelongtime
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
undress is a good idea, you can wear hose, panties, camisole. be happy that you can spend your off hours dressed.

JakobeMeredith
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I totally understand, my wife talked me into getting rid of most of my stuff. So now I can't under dress at all, I miss it so badly. Must find way to get new clothes.

Carly D.
01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with everyone here.. wear tights or pantyhose under you trousers as they say.. I've done this and it makes you focus on the important things.. yourself..

Jacquilynne
01-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I work in a large Manufacturing plant and have been underdressing since Jan.5 :D It's been great. . . no one has even noticed :)

Jacie

Lorileah
01-30-2009, 06:58 PM
You can stuff any genie back in the bottle if you use enough chloroform. :)

Consider this, I don't know if you have noticed but the higher up on the corporate ladder you go the more slightly feminine the clothing gets. The most blatant stand out in this is (are) the socks. High end (read expensive) male socks tend to be thinner and lighter...voila women's trouser socks! The shoes become less clunky and more stylish. Voila women's slip on flat moccasins! Of course as mentioned the under clothing isn't seen so live it up. Subtle distinctions but they help.

Of course you would wield a LOT more power in a sharp Anne Klein knee length navy suit. At least you would have their attention :)

JennSC
01-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Lorileah, I love your sense of humor, honey! After a lifetime of being Choloroformed this genie is finally immune!!! I did fail to mention that I was wearing tights (more for the practical reason of warmth!), do so just about every day, but I really wanted to be in that AK or Talbot's power suit!!!

Underdressing in more than tights is a little bit difficult because of the non-acceptance of my spouse. She understands the tights because I am so cold natured and they don't bunch up under my slacks. One day last week she came into our closet, I had my back to her reaching for a shirt, and she popped me on the butt and said, "those tights do show off your nice butt and legs!" Maybe a start?????