PDA

View Full Version : Outed to Family Members

wannabie
01-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Want to ask a question. How many of you have outed them selves to their parents?
not spouses but Mom and Dad.

The guy in me Still says no But the girl in me wants a better relationship.

how was it for you at first and now?

Chibi~Cthulhu
01-30-2009, 09:27 PM
i told my family, all of them... and they told me it was about time. they had had family meetings to discuss my issues, so apparently i did not hide it as well as i though lol.

as for a better relationship with the family? well it depends on the family, my mom and i were always close... now we are best friends, though my older brother and i tend to fight a lot now cause he is a insensative jerk :p

Susheela B.
01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
i have not told them and actually, i have ruled out this option. i am pretty sure they wouldn't understand and even though i have often wished i could share that part of me with them, i prefer not to compromise the good relationship i have with them for something unknown.

Susheela

Gabrielle Hermosa
01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I've considered telling my mother, but my wife convinced me it would be a bad idea right now (and she's right).

I keep going back and forth in my mind - sometimes wanting them to know, but usually not. Of my family, I think my mother might be the most accepting of it, but I don't think any of them will be fully accepting of it. I've always been the odd-ball in the family, so this could just be another item to add to their checklist of "issues" they see in me.

Alana65
01-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I told my Mom several years ago, and she's OK with it. She doesn't necessarily embrace it, but she accepts it as a part of me and still loves me as much as before I told her........I LOVE MY MOM :)

My Dad....I haven't told because I'm not sure how he'd take it. I've always been A LOT CLOSER to my Mom, so my "reading" on how he may react to it, is pretty cloudy.

marny
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
easy for me. they are all long gone!

acdee
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I can't imagine telling anyone in my family, not with any good result anyway. Wish things could be different.

WendyD
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Both of my parents died years ago. But I do have eight brothers and sisters. A gay brother. Everyone supports my brother but they have a hard time understanding. I'm not gay. I don't think they would understand this at all.

Teri Jean
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM
My Dad passed over ten years ago so he knows from afar and my Mom still doesn't know. Now my sister-in-laws and niece knows and tonight we were discussing where I get my shoes. Giggles over girl talk. Keli

AmyCarter
01-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, they outed me from their house. I'm better off on my own anyway. Structured independence is the way to go.

sometimes_miss
01-31-2009, 04:57 AM
Family members are generally no more likely to accept it than the general public, and perhaps less so since it involves how they have perceived you in the past, and they figure how you present to the outside world reflects on them. I told my mom and sister, and it didn't work out well in either case. My relationships with both are now more distant than ever.

I think we want to tell someone, anyone about what we are, because we want so much to be accepted that way. But that doesn't change the odds of it actually happening, which are pretty slim.

Nigella
01-31-2009, 05:00 AM
My family is fragmented, some know and some don't. It has made no difference to how we react with each other, we never saw much of each other exept for the usual family departures.

One brother wanted to start getting to meet again, and made all the moves to a reconciliation, I told him about me and guess what, still waiting for that reconcilliation.

Sandra
01-31-2009, 05:02 AM
You can pick your friends, pity you can't pick your family. :(

kelli_lost_confused
01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Want to ask a question. How many of you have outed them selves to their parents?
not spouses but Mom and Dad.

The guy in me Still says no But the girl in me wants a better relationship.

how was it for you at first and now?
my mom past away when i was turning 13......I wanted to tell her b4 she passed away but i didnt.......now i fill like everyone i told has turned thier back on me..my ex left me after 19 years of marriage........now i got remarried n my wife has cheated on me n blames me for wear her clothes........i think i need to die to be happy ....

JoAnne Wheeler
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
My parents are dead - as far as I know, none of my family other than my Spouse knows

JoAnne Wheeler

JODINYCTV
01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
kelli_lost_confused wrote:
now i got remarried n my wife has cheated on me n blames me for wear her clothes........i think i need to die to be happy ....[/QUOTE]

No hon, you need to LIVE and be happy. Be who and what you are free of the anguish others may bring by being who you are despite the pain they may try to bring. Liberate yourself and be the girl you MUST be. Then life will carry along much more joy! Happiness is for the hear and now, grab all you can as the girl you can be. Waitng for the happy to come upon you in some possible but hardly proveable afterlife is no solution.

StevieTV
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I think I outed myself a long time ago. I remember wearing a bra under a t-shirt as a teenager. Thinking back and with experience you could definitely see it under the shirt. I remember my sister talking with my mother about my birthday cake, she said it should be a fruitcake. They also had me wear a pink bathrobe saying it was the only one left. My mother also told me I had a girls body and I should have been a girl. Why oh Why didn't I come out then!!!???

TxKimberly
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I told my mother. She was always the open minded sort so there was no real fear in doing it. My step Dad - not a chance I'm going there.

Amalia
01-31-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd like to tell my family but I've got a pretty good relationship with my Mum and Dad and I'd rather not mess it up, i'm pretty sure they'd react adversely to it. I have thought about telling my older sister she's the only one i'm positive wouldn't freak out completely.

TrekGirl1701
01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
I haven't told anybody in my family yet. I'd love to, but cold feet is getting in the way.

I'm closer to my mom than my dad, but my dad is more open-minded. I'm pretty positive that both would accept it, though. They've always been there for me, and I can't imagine them being alienated from me just because I like to crossdress. Plus I was doing it for years when I lived in their house. They must have some inkling that I was doing it.

I am the youngest of three brothers at 26. And to this day we're all pretty close. All four of us do have different tastes and we accept our different lifestyles. So I'd like to think they would be accepting, too.

Sally2005
02-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Well, I haven't -told- anyone, but many years ago I showed up at my parents house on halloween dressed in a skin tight dress with my wife. My parents were -okay- with it, except I got some weird comments and I don't think they would understand if it was in -real life-. They said I looked like a GG cousin of mine. I was a bit uncomfortable sitting there talking with them...I remember the conversation was a little odd at times as my mom subconciously used some female pronouns for me.

My point, you never know, but you can go for a test drive at least once a year...

Kelli Michelle
02-01-2009, 02:04 AM
My mom outed me (to herself only), when she was snooping in my closet. I was staying with them for a couple of years, and I had been going out, dressing in the car. She used the pretext that she was" looking for clothes to wash", went into my closet, pulled my "bag" that was way in the back under some stuff, dsiscovered wigs, heels, makeup, etc. She ranted and raved, I threatened to leave and never come back, she calmed down. We sorta talked about it for a few days. She never mentioned it again, clearly not wanting anything else to do with it. My dad, well, doubt that he would approve, but since mom passed away last year, he has been more caring and open, so who knows. I have 2 gay uncles, that he is quite ok with, but like others have said, me being his son, may make it hit too close to home.

Jocelyn Quivers
02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I came out to my mom around a year ago. To my suprise she accepted it. Even though she accepts it, the topic of my cross dressing does not come up very often. I've shown her pictures of me en-femme and could tell from her expression that she would prefer to continue seeing me in male mode only. The best way to sum it up is as acceptance along with "don't ask don't tell."

obsessedwithpantyhose
02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
everyone who knows me knows......

Christinedreamer
02-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Mine is an interesting situation. As a young kid I was caught many times but i did things to deliberately get caught to open the door to discussion. Stupid thing to do I know but at that age I was desperate to force the issue.

My stash was found (usually nightgowns) several times and destroyed. This hurt a lot as i was saving every nickel while working at my dad's company on weekends and in the 60-70s money was hard for a kid to get much less spend on lingerie.

Once during Thanksgiving, the whole family was across the apt courtyard having dinner with my mom's aunt. After eating I made the excuse that i was tired to go back home and slip into a gorgeous snow white peignoir I had just bought.

I laid on the bed and fell asleep. My dad cam home unexpectedly and saw me but didn't wake me up. After about an hour asleep, he came in and gently woke me and said "you had better change, your mom is coming home". That was all. No yelling or anger.

My mom has had several instances where she takled a littel about my "condition" telling me it isn't right etc.. but I could never engage her in a real conversation where I could truly bare my sol.

I walked into one sister's room wearing a nighgown and said "I am a transvestire" (the term in vogue back then)

She just yelled at me to get out.

Over the years these scenarios have been repaeted several times. Finally, after moving out and several years, I told mom about the time i went out in full drag and how i was on a petticoat high for 3 days. I offered to show her the a picture (my avatar) but she declined and she maintains in a nervous joking manner that "there must be something in the water" as she has seen so much of the CD. TV, gay Bi, experience exposed in the news and TV shows. She just can't understand it. I took that opportunity totry to tell her how I feel when i am dressed and that sometimes there is a palpable pain when the desire is so strong yet circumstances wont allow it.

When I look at many of the gurls here I get so jealous it hurts. I have told my oldest sister and she completely understands and has even sent me makeup collections and offered to take me to many TG friendlay places when I visit her in Hawaii.

My other sister has become a religious fanatic and prays for my deliverance from this all the time.

My dad strangely enough quietly accepts it sometimes. Usually when he found me alone and dressed or saw the gowns in my roomhe said nothing. Only when Mom was round and in earshot did he vehemently object. Strange.

My ex wife adored it especially when we slept(?) in matching nightgowns. her family would have had her committed for even talking to me had they known.

DonnaT
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I also told my Mom several years ago, and she's OK with it. She's given me jewelry, dresses and shoes.