PDA

View Full Version : Guy Hobbies vs. Girl Hobbies - Maybe Not!

Persephone
01-31-2009, 02:40 AM
In a message on the Guy vs. Girly (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99527) thread I wrote: "I try to get into the contemporary concept that there are no more girl activities and boy activities, but it is hard for me since I also realize that when all is said and done, most guys will still do 'guy stuff' and most girls will still do 'girl stuff.'"

Well, I still think that's true, but here's what happened to me today when I was out looking at a possible new gun. . .

I'd been running routine errands along the way, so I was dressed in what I consider my "high androgeny" look, basically everything except earrings, darker lipstick, and a bra (yellow women's polo shirt, misses' grey slacks, 3-1/2" pointy toed, heeled boots, hair in a pony tail, long manicured "french" acrylics, purse tossed over my shoulder. It is a look in which I'm pretty generally accepted as a woman, even though I'm missing obvious breasts).

When I came into the sporting goods store and went up to the gun counter the salesman said, "Can I help you, Ma'm?"

I decided, "What the heck?" so I stayed in "girl mode," smiles and soft voice.

Our conversation was technical and it was obvious that I was pretty knowledgable about guns in general and particularly knowledgeable about the couple of rifles I was looking at.

For a moment, when handing me one of the rifles, he hesitated, as if he wasn't sure exactly how to hand a rather long and heavy rifle to a woman.

I held the rifles properly, knew what to look for, and asked him appropriate questions, defering to his judgement several times.

Eventually, I decided not to buy one right now. But I did take a couple of boxes of shotgun shells (also a strong clue that the rifle wasn't going to be a "first gun").

He carried them over to the cashier for me (that's store policy or legal requirement there), and cheerily said, "Have a good day, Ma'm."

So here's to gun shootin', rifle totin' women everywhere!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Not into guns - the girl in me is scared of them !

JoAnne Wheeler

Juliemckay
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
My other "hobby" is music. I play and build guitars. nothing gender specific there.

the sad thing about playing guitar is that you can never have great looking nails on both hands.

The good thing about playing the guitar is, I now have a reason to get press on nails

Nicki B
01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Aren't guns a particularly american hobby, not a guy one? ;)

MarciManseau
01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
I totally hate guns of all kinds, especially in cities. I wish they all were illegal, even for armies, which I know isn't realistic or about to happen, sadly.

Hugs, Marci :hugs:

Angie G
01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
We have lots of GGs in the U.S. that shoot I even know a few.:hugs:
Angie

Scotty
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I love to shoot, my SO loves to shoot - it's one of the 10 bill of rights.
It's the reason the other 9 bill of rights exist.......think on that.

Here's some humor for you.
Criminals for Gun Control (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L3kMuN8sjk)

docrobbysherry
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Anytime we get pissed off at someone, or wish to blow away our family, we just go rite down to the gun shop and pick up some shotguns, a few hundred rounds of ammo, and get to work!:D

U gotta love a place that DOESN'T approve of men in ladies clothes, BUT will STILL sell them an SUV full of guns and ammo, huh?:brolleyes:

Me? Of course I've got mine! I have to protect my fem stash don't I! Lol!

Rachel Morley
01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
U gotta love a place that DOESN'T approve of men in ladies clothes, BUT will STILL sell them an SUV full of guns and ammo, huh?
I've never really thought of it like that but now you come to mention it ............ :thinking:

MissConstrued
01-31-2009, 04:18 PM

We call them "liberty teeth." They are much more than a hobby -- guns are why our national anthem isn't "God Save the Queen."

And the reason I am still alive and intact, thank you very much.

I'll go a step further. You Brits -- and others -- seem to think people who own guns are redneck Bubbas just looking for an excuse to shoot minorities, gays, whatever. The truth is exactly the contrary. Among gun owners, the primary political platform is libertarian and the philosophy is "live and let live." We don't bother others, because we're not afraid of being bothered.

kymmieLorain
01-31-2009, 06:00 PM
MissConstrued, you are dead on. Having worked at a rifle range and a certified range safety officer. I have seen girls that can out shoot many men.
If they outlawed guns only outlaws would have guns. crime would sky rocket. They will never make me give up my guns. The second amendment is on our side.

Kymmie

Karren H
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Being a girl is my guy hobby and shopping is my girl hobby.. My hobby has a hobby. Kind of a catch 22!! Lol

KandisTX
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Where do I begin???

1. Paintball
2. Renaissance Faires
3. Guns (yes, I am a PROUD gun owner, it is my right to keep and bear arms as an American).
4. Motorcycles
5. Music (got a guitar for Christmas and am trying to teach myself to play)
6. Leatherworking (Own my own leather business)
7. Swords (Own my own sword business as an extension of my leather business).

Kandis:love::rose2:

Jenniferpl
01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I agree with Karen.

Nicki B
01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
You Brits -- and others -- seem to think people who own guns are redneck Bubbas just looking for an excuse to shoot minorities, gays, whatever.

Did I say ever that? I'm qualified to plan and conduct infantry battalion-size live firing manouevres, so I do know a little about firearms..

Possessing firearms is, IMHO, a power issue.

We don't bother others, because we're not afraid of being bothered.

But - the number of firearms in your country means that the number of deaths caused is enormous. You may not be afraid, but perhaps you should be? Yes, it's your culture - but is it really so clever to just accept so many gun-related deaths? The argument for freedom is, IMHO, a red herring. As pointed out in a recent thread, the US isn't the only country with a reasonable claim to being 'free'...

But we've had enough 'gun control' arguments previously on this forum - just live your life the way you want to, without hurting others?

brittanny
02-01-2009, 01:31 AM
well this girl is a gun owner and concealed carry license holder an armed society is a free society

Cissy Chiana
02-01-2009, 02:27 AM
used to shoot guns when I was a teenager, now i want nothing to do with them.

Persephone
02-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Had I realized that the mere use of the word "gun" in a message intended as a discussion of Guy Hobbies vs. Girl Hobbies would have caused such a vitriolic response from those who oppose individual rights, I might have considered framing the topic differently, but the actual events dictated the nature of the post.

Possessing firearms is, IMHO, a power issue. . . But - the number of firearms in your country means that the number of deaths caused is enormous.

If memory serves, on 3 September, 2002, London Mayor Ken Livingstone said he felt safer in New York than he did in London, saying "I do feel safe in London, but I don't feel as safe as I did when I went to New York."

The argument for freedom is, IMHO, a red herring. As pointed out in a recent thread, the US isn't the only country with a reasonable claim to being 'free'..."

The last time that Europeans thought themselves "enlightened" and "sophisticated" and "gun-free" we had to bring our guns over to bail your asses out, so the argument for freedom is hardly a "red herring"

I point out that I did not post a thread about gun rights, rather a thread about how formerly "male" sports like shooting were now apparently gender neutral.

That's the topic on which I'd posted and looked forward to a discussion of, and, although the specific details that shaped my post were about a sporting goods store, the topic could also have been equally made if I had been shopping for muscle car parts or chain saws.

(Oh, yeah, that's right, I almost forgot, in the "Green" age muscle car parts and chain saws aren't politically correct either!).

How about if I'd been in "girl mode" and had been well treated as an informed customer while shopping for deep-water fishing gear? Hiking boots? Rugby balls?

crusadergirl
02-01-2009, 04:04 AM
I like paintball guns but never got in to any other type of guns.
Now my hobbies are
Swords
ninja gear
wrestling
kick boxing
Ok thats all guy stuff i don't have any girl hobbies besides shopping for the clothes if you count that.

Sara Jessica
02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Now there's a new one in our world, I got dolled up and went out to buy a gun!!! I've had a couple worse experiences shopping for clothes than you had at this sporting goods store.

If memory serves, on 3 September, 2002, London Mayor Ken Livingstone said he felt safer in New York than he did in London, saying "I do feel safe in London, but I don't feel as safe as I did when I went to New York."

I'm guessing this was because it was a post-9/11 NYC more than anything else. It was probably among the safest places on the planet given the one year anniversary was just around the corner.

Teri Jean
02-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Hobbies?????????? Where does one start? Fishing, camping in the BWCAW, hunting, tying flies, wood carving..............., and of course Dressing as a woman who knows the bussiness end of a rifle, shot gun, fly rod and can portage a canoe 3/4 mile nonstop. I have run across a few ggs out in the field that can keep up but very few. It's great to be a sister here. Huggs to you all. PS The kitchen is also my friend and so is the sewing machine. Keli

MissConstrued
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Possessing firearms is, IMHO, a power issue.

Given that possessing them is not an option for you, I guess you don't have any power. Or the possibility thereof. You could be perfectly smug if you had the option, and chose not to exercise it. But don't act like you are some sort of superior human being for not doing something you're not allowed to do anyway.

But - the number of firearms in your country means that the number of deaths caused is enormous.

Is that what it means? In the USA, according to estimates I've read, there are at least a quarter of a billion firearms owned by over 80 million people. If guns actually were a problem, this place would be a war zone.

And if we were to ban everything that kills people, we wouldn't have cars either.

the US isn't the only country with a reasonable claim to being 'free'...

You reside in the most surveilled country on the planet. You have cameras that watch you on the road and write you tickets. Cameras watching and listening on street corners. Cameras watching the cameras. Big Brother is out in full force in your cities. I'm wondering where you get your "reasonable claim" (funny, I didn't read that phrase in the Magna Carta) to freedom.

Oh yeah. Freedom is Slavery.

You weren't supposed to take Orwell as a recommendation.

See there? I'm being nice. I didn't even mention stabbing deaths in Britain. I didn't talk about the rampant thuggery in the cities. And I didn't even mention those little altercations with merry olde Deutschland.

I'm not mean. I don't even care what you do. You are entitled to your opinions. But every time someone from the Old Country needs to be smug and superior for having fewer rights than I do, it gets my hackles up. Being unarmed does not make you superior -- it makes you weak, defenseless.

Perfect we are not, but at least I'll admit there's plenty of stuff wrong with my country.

</soapbox>

Now, to get back on topic....

I would hesitate to describe most hobbies as a guy thing or a girl thing. I've known a number of girls who like weapons, hunting, cars. If anything, these women are more feminine than their non-outdoors counterparts. Are they reaching into "guy world," seeking balance with a masculine side? As strange as it sounds....

I'm a complete sucker for a sweet, charming woman with a pleasant voice, handy in the kitchen, who can kill things.

Nicki B
02-01-2009, 01:23 PM
But we've had enough 'gun control' arguments previously on this forum - just live your life the way you want to, without hurting others?

I did try.. :sad:

The last time that Europeans thought themselves "enlightened" and "sophisticated" and "gun-free" we had to bring our guns over to bail your asses out, so the argument for freedom is hardly a "red herring"

But more recently, the US asked for British & European involvement in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and now Afghanistan, IIRC?

Given that possessing them is not an option for you, I guess you don't have any power. Or the possibility thereof. You could be perfectly smug if you had the option, and chose not to exercise it. But don't act like you are some sort of superior human being for not doing something you're not allowed to do anyway.

You keep putting words in my mouth and making assumptions about me... Please stop it? And please get your facts right - I can certainly own a firearm in the UK, I have personally previously owned pistols.

But IME carrying a weapon is a dangerous thing - because of the feeling of safety it endows. You are far less likely to get into trouble in the first place, if you know you're vulnerable.

Is that what it means? In the USA, according to estimates I've read, there are at least a quarter of a billion firearms owned by over 80 million people. If guns actually were a problem, this place would be a war zone.

Enough people in the US seem to think it is - or many high-density population areas are, so perhaps that's a dangerous thing for you to say..

I'm not mean. I don't even care what you do. You are entitled to your opinions. But every time someone from the Old Country needs to be smug and superior for having fewer rights than I do, it gets my hackles up. Being unarmed does not make you superior -- it makes you weak, defenseless.

Perfect we are not, but at least I'll admit there's plenty of stuff wrong with my country.

That's all I did - expressed an opinion. I'm neither smug nor superior, just trying to point out there are other realities. Very recently one of your countrymen told me very forcefully there is only ONE reality - his. Did you really have to beat me over the head with your soapbox as well, in reply? :sad:

I've known a number of girls who like weapons, hunting, cars. If anything, these women are more feminine than their non-outdoors counterparts. Are they reaching into "guy world," seeking balance with a masculine side? As strange as it sounds....

I'm a complete sucker for a sweet, charming woman with a pleasant voice, handy in the kitchen, who can kill things.

I can be sweet and charming, but you're not doing your bit?

EDIT - and you're changing your post, while I'm quoting it? :strugglin

MissConstrued
02-01-2009, 01:33 PM
EDIT - and you're changing your post, while I'm quoting it? :strugglin

Sorry. All I did was add the last bit. :)

Kimmie
02-02-2009, 02:19 AM
By taking more measured and graceful movements that has come with my blossomed feminine side. I have learned to become a better shot with my pistol. I now use my 38 spec. for a fly swatter when I'm too lazy to get off the couch.

Also I change light bulbs in heals rather than being on my tippie toes. Truely the best of both worlds.