PDA

View Full Version : Ok reptile fans who has what?

mistunderstood
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM
We have a thread on this but I can not find it but who has what kind of reptiles and amphibians?
Time for pics. I will post mine next week. But I am getting a leopard gecko next week. Then next month I am getting a pair of red eyed tree frogs.
Oh if the girls want to post it is ok.:D

Deborah Jane
01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I don,t have any Reptiles at the moment, but i,ve had several in the past.

I had a pair of Leopard Geckos which produced eggs several times, eventually resulting in 5 babies after i set up an incubator.
I,ve also owned a Spanish Jewelled Lizard [Lacerta Lepida if anyone wants to see what he looked like], an Australian Bearded Dragon, a Dabtail Lizard and an American Leopard Lizard.
I also temporarily owned an Iguana after someone i knew bought it believing it would only grow to 2ft [they grow to as much as 6ft]. I passed her on to someone who had a huge setup with several Iguanas living in it.

All my animals were captive bred and all but the Iguana came to me through reputable dealers who i had checked out before buying from them.

I,ll try and find some pics of my animals and add them here when i figure out how to scan them onto the computer!

mistunderstood
01-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Cool that would be great.

Joanne f
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
My son had a leopard gecko and now he wants a chinese water dragon, i am more into fish .

TommiTN
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't have reps right now but in the past I've had box turtles and an Argentine Black & White Tegu. Also a snake or two but I decided I don't really care for snakes all that much. Snakes don't seem to have much of a personality while the turtles/tortoises and the higher order of lizards do have individual personalities and can be quite intelligent. Tegus are damned smart to the point of being able to let themselves out of their enclosure by observing how the latch operates. They seem to be about as smart as the average house cat and can actually display some affection for their keeper.

ZenFrost
01-31-2009, 05:44 PM
One albino corn snake. :bg:

Old picture...

alexis GG
01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
I did have a bearded dragon until last april when he died :( .. I was so gutted... Loved him to bits

This is Drag (yes that was his name) sunning himself in the garden 81001

And one of him totally crashed in his viv.. My SO Az purpose built it for him.. it was a 6ft - 4f tank

Adam
01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
i should get a more up to date pic this is a year old now i think

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/adam_simon_p/DSCN1374.jpg

she is twice that size now but you get a idea what she looks like :D

mistunderstood
01-31-2009, 10:22 PM
They are soo cool. Thanks for post'n.

Bernadina
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
My house is infested with 12 assorted snakes including boa's. I say infested as my kid has decided that the living room, family room and dining room should be a herpetological zoo

Chibi~Cthulhu
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
id love to get a pet snake... nothing huge though. maybe a emerald boa.

Devon James
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I have a crested gecko (Rhacodactylus Ciliatus), he's 7 months old now :)
I hope to get more reptiles, mainly geckos, but that's a future thing.

Here's Kanak, my crestie:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/In-A-Glass-Darkly/Kanak3312-12-08-klein.jpg

4serrus
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Don't have any pets. :sad: Cant' afford them right now. Having a lizard would be cool though. Snakes squick me out... I just don't like things that can crawl up my trouser leg.

Kieron Andrew
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a crested gecko (Rhacodactylus Ciliatus), he's 7 months old now :)
I hope to get more reptiles, mainly geckos, but that's a future thing.

Here's Kanak, my crestie:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/In-A-Glass-Darkly/Kanak3312-12-08-klein.jpg

omg hes beautiful, me want!!

metalguy639
02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I had a Ball Python some time ago, I don't have him anymore. :( I also had a Red Tailed Columbian Boa some time ago but she died. ;( I have pics of the Ball though and when I dig them up I'll post them.

jenniferTgurl
02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Not my thing, guess I'm the odd sock here

Devon James
02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
omg hes beautiful, me want!!

Thanx! He really is adorable, he always makes me laugh with his big eyes :D

mistunderstood
02-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to let you all know gilbert made it home and in a few days I will post a pic of him.

docrobbysherry
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
As a grade schooler, I used to collect the local lizards, (swifts), and snakes; kings, gophers, rattles, racers, and ringneck snakes. As a teen, we used to go out to the desert and collect. Desert iguanas, horned lizards, whiptails, chuckwallas, and once, a 7' red racer.

I ordered many exotics mail order. U could get almost anything that way. Shipped from Florida, back then. Baby alligators, a 5' iguana, ( who bit the tip of my finger off), a 30" Tegu lizard, and any number of snakes! Hognosed, a big water snake, Mexican boas and iguanas, and many smaller water turtles. Many others, that I'm sure I've forgotten!:daydreaming:

I purchased a 9' boa from the reptile technical advisor on the "Swiss Family Robinson" film, by Disney. He collected reptiles on Trinidad, where the movie was made, in his spare time!

On trips to Mexico, I smuggled back a crocodile and a baby coati mundi.

But, after seeing EVERY SINGLE ONE of them die, (except the boa), I lost my taste for owning them! :doh:
However, whenever I see a live beauty, or even a pretty pic, like the gecko above, the old desire to have one returns!:heehee:

Just a couple of box turtles now! I can take off for a month, and they'll be fine!:brolleyes:

TommiTN
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
"But, after seeing EVERY SINGLE ONE of them die, (except the boa), I lost my taste for owning them!"

Sorry to hear of your disappointing experiences, Doc. Most reptiles are highly specialized creatures and do not adapt easily, or sometimes at all, to environments different from their natural habitats. For them to thrive in captivity their keeper must closely duplicate the environments from which his pets came, plus their diets. This can be an expensive and frustrating passtime (much like CDing :D). Your best bet is animals that come from temperate climates and are omnivorous in their diets. Box turtles fall into that category as do Argentine Tegus. Both are very hardy species and very intelligent due to their opportunistic eating habits. Tegus are known to actually beg for handouts from picnickers in Argentina, almost like dogs.

docrobbysherry
02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't want to discourage the folks here! In fact, all the local snakes and lizards I collected lived. When they stopped eating, or after I had them for awhile, all I had to do, was let them loose in the hills behind my house! I don't recall any of them dying on me.:)

My 5' iguana and tegu lizard were VERY healthy animals. I kept them in our kitchen during winters. Then, I made a big mistake! I put a friend's large iguana in with them one spring. He had been running loose for awhile, and terrorizing the neighbors. He died soon afterwards from mouth rot. He gave it to the other 2. And they both died the following month!:doh:

TommiTN
02-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Yep, diseases and parasites are another issue. One should always have a new addition to the menagerie checked out by a vet who is familiar with reptiles. And quarantine them for a period before introducing them to your other pets. Maybe your ig should have brushed his teeth more often?:D

amy2310
02-12-2009, 09:00 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/_serenity_MH/Emperor_by_hellfire321.jpg?t=1234447144
Sparky, our red clawed scorpion
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/_serenity_MH/Dead_Leaf_Mantid_by_hellfire321.jpg?t=1234447181
Killer, our dead leaf mantis
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/_serenity_MH/Python_regius_2_by_hellfire321.jpg?t=1234447205
Margwar, our royal python

MAJESTYK
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
My Lady and I have an aquatic turtle. I'm not really sure what kind she is but I believe it is an eastern painted turtle. We got her from someone who got her from a school class and didnt really want it. Needed a 'tune-up' and some tlc. Now the little thing is twice the size and eats better than I do! lol(i dont get shrimp) Has her own condo with a pool too! I had never had one before and didnt know how smart they were either but , she knows her name and will do things to get your attention when she is hungry as well .....Now I just have to find someone to will her to, they have a tendency to live longer than we do.:eek: Maybe the Granson will do it.

TommiTN
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
LOL! I had a painted turtle when I was a kid. I caught him/her (hard to tell sometimes like some of us :D) in a pond while I and some friends were fishing. I just kept casting near him and reeling in. He followed the bait right up to me. I took him home and kept him for awhile then released him in the same pond. He was very smart and loved to have his head rubbed. He also had a voracious appetite and digging worms for him got to be a real chore after a while.

Just be sure to keep his enclosure scrupulously clean. Most pet aquatics die from sepsis due to dirty water.

MAJESTYK
02-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh, I've had it for 7 years! It's tank and such is meticulously clean. She lives in a custom made tank with a ten gallon swimming area that is filtered. The most spoiled amphibian I know of!:D

mistunderstood
02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
As I promise here is Gilbert.

TommiTN
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Aw! What a cutie!