PDA

View Full Version : To high a price ...

Nigella
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
... to be officially recognised as a female.

I recently discovered, to my :eek: that I was a transsexual. This, along with some other information about Gender Recognition Certificates (GRC), led me on a search of the internet.

To be officially recognised as a female is quite an easy route, and one which I would have followed until I found out that I could only get an Interim GRC, which only lasts for 6 months.

So why not a full GRC? Well because I am married, and in the UK same sex marriages are not legal. So how do I get a full GRC? Simple, divorce her or get our marriage annulled.

The price of being recognised legally as female is too high. My marriage is worth more to me than a piece of paper to say I can officially say I'm female.

Would you pay that price?

Susan.
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
No, I wouldn't and agree with you. However, I'm not transexual and have reached my peak, so to speak.

Today, I was reading that Massachusetts would allow transexuals to put down whatever gender they wanted without documenation of any SRS.

battybattybats
02-01-2009, 12:11 AM
See now this is why there is a T in GLBT and why every crossdresser needs to think clearly on this.

That we share heaps of issues with Gay people!

As plenty of CDs discover they are actually TS that means all CDs should support all TS issues cause tomorrow they may find that they are TS and those issues are their own issues!

And same-sex marriage is obviously just as much a TS issue as a Gay one.

Making same-sex marriage a clear issue for crossdressers to support!

Lorileah
02-01-2009, 12:22 AM
No I would not. And i am still looking for the one person who can tell me exactly why two people cannot be married no matter what gender they are. How EXACTLY does you being married and having SRS hurt joe blow down the street? :Angry3:

DemonicDaughter
02-01-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm currently not married, but were it to occur, I would have to marry her now before the "m" is changed to an "f" on her birth certificate... and yet I wouldn't want to marry her without that on it.

DawnRodgers
02-01-2009, 02:09 AM
It would depend upon my mindset. If I truly felt I wanted to become a complete woman - sex change, living 24/7, legally considered a female - I run, not walk to the court to change things. I would assume my wife was OK with my decision because, if I were to go that far, it would have all been worked out. If, somehow, we were still in love, there is nothing wrong with going where we could to get married again or even just love together. i think that, if I had ebver decided to live out my life as a woman I woukld want my legal papers to say that I was a woman. I could even think that if alll of that happened, perhaps I would want to marry a man too.

Lisa Golightly
02-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Well I'm not married... No-one's ever liked me that much... Awwwww poor, poor Lisa :(

It seems a mad proposition really when Civil partnerships (marriages) exist for same sex couples...

Jess_cd32
02-01-2009, 05:21 AM
...............The price of being recognised legally as female is too high. My marriage is worth more to me than a piece of paper to say I can officially say I'm female.

Would you pay that price?

No, not at all.

Bev06 GG
02-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi Nigella,
Are you certain of that. I only ask because some friends of mine are going down the same route, he is transitioning and they are married. So far nothing has been said to them about this.
Bev

Shelly Preston
02-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone

This is an unfair system we have in the UK

Same-sex couples are now able to enter into a civil partnership by registering a formal commitment to one another. This gives them legal recognition for their relationship, which means they have almost exactly the same rights and responsibilities as married couples.

Note the word ALMOST

A case was brought before the English courts in which a lesbian couple sued for the recognition of their marriage, contracted in British Columbia in 2003. The trial began on 5 June 2006, before Sir Mark Potter, President of the Family Division. The High Court announced its judgement on 31 July 2006, finding that the marriage would continue to be recognised as a civil partnership in England and Wales, but not as a marriage.[1] In handing down his ruling, Justice Potter gave as his reason that "Abiding single sex relationships are in no way inferior, nor does English Law suggest that they are by according them recognition under the name of civil partnership." [2]. The couple announced their intention to appeal the decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom

Nigella
02-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi Nigella,
Are you certain of that. I only ask because some friends of mine are going down the same route, he is transitioning and they are married. So far nothing has been said to them about this.
Bev

Here is some information from Liberty (http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/right-to-receive-equal-treatment/transgender-discrimination/the-gender-recognition-act.html)

But I have shown below a relevant passage from the page:

You must also provide a statutory declaration stating :

you meet the two year qualifying period;

you are or are not married/in a civil partnership;
and

any other information required by the Secretary of State or the Panel.

The Panel must issue a full recognition certificate if these requirements are met. If you are married/in a civil partnership, an interim certificate will be granted until the marriage is annulled or dissolved. If the Panel refuses the application, there is a right of appeal on points of law.

Sandra
02-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah someone sat in their ivory tower making all these decision and proably know fk all about peoples feeling or same sex marriages :Angry3:

Teri Jean
02-01-2009, 09:32 AM
No and what good is the official paper if you have to give up your marriage? You can be a woman and love the one you are married to. Politics and rules should not come between individuals who whant to live in peace with the community and those they love. Sorry for the ranting. Huggs Keli

Nicki B
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah someone sat in their ivory tower making all these decision and proably know fk all about peoples feeling or same sex marriages :Angry3:

This was fought over long and hard, over the several years it took to get the GerBil made law.. It was the religious groups who fought it, tooth and nail, as they saw that if marriage was allowed for those transitioning, they couldn't stem the tide for the pressure to allow other same-gender couples to marry, properly, either. :sad:

In the end, it was lose the whole bill, GRCs and all, or compromise on what was thought to be only a small number of people. Only now is it apparent just how many have been adversely affected? :Angry3:

JoAnne Wheeler
02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Depends - on the strength of your desire for SRS - by the way, just dressing FULL TIME may be better than SRS - my brother had SRS and lost a lot (his spouse and children)

JoAnne Wheeler

Sheila
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Depends - on the strength of your desire for SRS - by the way, just dressing FULL TIME may be better than SRS - my brother had SRS and lost a lot (his spouse and children)

JoAnne Wheeler

JoAnne I am sorry that your brother lost eveything, that us really sad, but some marriages do make it through the SRs not many I will agree but some do