PDA

View Full Version : Selective hearing?

Karren H
02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
My wife accuses me of having selective hearing... "You never listen to me". Groan... But maybe its true! Do I hear what I want to hear or not what I don't want to hear?

Today I was taking my 2 mile walk through the building at noon, trying to maintain my girlish figure... and I stopped a couple times and chatted with some of the girls on the other floors.... And was heading back to my office when I passed a group of 4 male engineers in the atrium.. I know these guys in passing and we say hi in the hall.. But as I pass by one of them is talking and I hear something like "..... He can be male and that's ok ....... Or he can be female and that's ok too......". I'm thinking "what??". Its like walking through a sound bite and it had to be completely out of context... Or was it a coincidence I was passing at that moment? My hearing isn't that good... But maybe they were talking about filling a position or hiring someone or something else?

So when I got back to my office I figured I'd go back down to the atrium and heat up my Healthy Choice meal (girlish figure again.. Lol). And I made sure to walk back by them and as I did one of them said.... "Those are pretty good.". Pointing to my meal.... So I stopped and we BSed for a minute and I mossied on to the microwaves... I don't know... Maybe I'm just overly sensative... But it was kind of a strange encounter..

So you ever hear things that are out of context and you think they are talking about you and your crossdressing? Did you ever find out they were or did you hear them incorrectly?

Cassia-Marie
02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I work in IT as a computer programmer and my network engineer counterpart has made joking comments around the office about monitoring Internet traffic. It hasn't stopped me from shopping online for clothes and undies or visiting this site (obviously), though, because a) I think he was joking and b) we just don't have that kind of atmosphere here (we're a small shop and very anti-corporate behavior). Recently, though, he has made a few off-color remarks (in a joking manner) about me being more like a girl than anyone he knows and a few remarks about being gay to which I replied "Hey, I like you... I just don't think of you that way" ala Reservoir Dogs. Then yesterday he comes into the tech room and says, "hello, ladies" and glances my way. At work I'm as manly as manly can get (minus the scratching and spitting) but there's no questioning my sexual preference so maybe he knows of my surfing habits and is questioning my gender/dressing preferences...? I know what you mean, though. My level of paranoia skyrockets whenever these topics come up.

Penny
02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Were your ears iching?

Hey! The rest of world finally recognizes the Steeler Nation

:hugs:

Penny

JoAnne Wheeler
02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I think a lot of our friends "wonder" about us - I was at a party back in the Fall and I was wearing my female sandals. Several of us were playing "Corn Toss" ( sort of like trying to throw a beanbag in a hole). I had never played before. Well I played. Some of my GG friends said to me that I look like I was doing a Ballet and that they had never seen a male throw like I did !

I also have been clocked for having fingernail polish residue down in my cuticle.

And I have been asked why I don't have hair anymore on my fingers and not very much on my hands.

Are these the types of things you might be referring to ?

JoAnne Wheeler

Kate Simmons
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Sometimes the "vibes" are tuned in at different levels Karr. We may actually be "hearing" thoughts sometimes or chatter from somewhere else that is attracted to us. Stranger things have happened.:battingeyelashes::)

Deborah Jane
02-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Eh?
Wot?
Whassat?
Pardon?
Whatcha say?
Come again?
...... ........?
:whistling:

Ashlyee Paige
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds like even IF they were discussing you it seemed very positive and accepting and not putting you down at all :>

CharlotteW
02-03-2009, 04:23 PM
My sister-in-law was talking about shopping and mentioned the bargain footless tights she had purchased in Primark (discount clothing store). I wasn't taking part in the conversation but I was sure I heard my name so I turned towards them looking rather puzzled, saying (something like) "huh....eh.....what?.....", she replied "just talking about tights, I'll get you some next time I go to Primark".

Tashee
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I was 16 and pre selective hearing. There I was sitting on this later to be known Gay guy desk.. He mumbled , tho he said he spoke- I said. Wha a a T Did you just say Joel.
Well 27 years later I found out---

He said quickly because I was to young-
he said -please tell me your gay and I will give you the world and more:eek:

We remained friends--Just by chance I remembered that little interlude- And yes he was well off enough if I was only gay enough.

Might not fit here. I am tired and NOT feeling well and just remembered and wanted to pass this interesting story..

I did wonder of MY character if I heard him---would I have made hay about it and got him in trouble at the time----A confession-----I really do not know

vikki2020
02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Sometimes we hear what we want to hear,and twist it the way we think. Did this happen today?[2/3]--Maybe they were talking about the Ru Paul show that started last night?

susie evans
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
maby they are learning an engineer can be any gender he/she wants and still get the job done HEHEHE,maby you are changing the thought process and don't even know it

:hugs:....susie

beenherelongtime
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
when you went back and talked to the one person, this was a chance to probe what he was talking about earlier. it's better than wondering. if they are both okay with it, you have nothing to worry about.

Teri Jean
02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Karren, There has been a few times where I have been addressed about missing the wig I wore for halloween at work but with a little twisting of the vocabulry I have turned it back on them. One of my female co-workers asked about the wig by asking if I felt naked not having long hair. Mine is 1/8 inch long, buzz cut. I responded with no but I miss the breasts, LOL. She smiled and laughed and then went back to work. I try not to let them in but when the conversation turns that direction I give the old rudder a pull to the side.
Okay the Steelers won, but it was a great game. LOL. Huggs to you girl, Keli

Sally2005
02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
hmmm...probably just talking about the football game...

I once heard my guy friends talking behind my back and one said ...'well, he's not gay'... so I said, what they already know, 'no, I'm not gay, I've got a wife and kid'...seemed to satify them and the subject changed... I wish I heard the entire conversation.

I have good hearing most of the time, but there are times my wife is talking and talking and talking to me and I can't hear a word she says.

Brandiwvr
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
They no longer talk about me behind my back. now we talk together and any topic is ok.
and we all get along so much better. its as if we got rid of the guilt and everybody is ok with it now. sorry a bit of topic. but close.