PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I would pass this on

crossdrezzer1
02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passing on some info, hope many participate.

What will you be wearing?

The International Day of Pink is coming up on February 19th, 2009. It is an opportunity for you to celebrate diversity with thousands of people across the world.
How it works...
Wear pink on Feb 19, and encourage your school, office or community group to join in.
Go to: www.DayOfPink.org to register as an individual or group (and win cool prizes!)

Request FREE resources (Posters, Stickers, Buttons) from www.DayOfPink.org
Find out more about activities you can do in your school, community, business or organization.

Learn about the causes of discrimination and what you can do to solve this problem.
Learn about other amazing community organization you can use to promote diversity.
For more information, please contact us at: info@dayofpink.org
More information:

On February 19th, 2009, over 100,000 people across North America will participate in the Jer¢s Vision pilot project, the International Day of Pink. The Day of Pink is the International Day against Bullying, Discrimination and Homophobia in schools and communities. The event invites everyone to celebrate diversity by wearing a pink shirt and organizing activities in their workplaces, organizations, communities and schools.

The Day of Pink was started by youth in Cambridge, Nova Scotia. On their second day of high school they saw a colleague being harassed and called a ¡fag¢ because he wore a pink shirt. That week, countless students rallied together by wearing pink shirts, standing up to bullies, homophobia and discrimination.

The National Capital Region Gay-Straight Alliance Network (a group of youth representing Diversity Clubs in the Ottawa Valley) were so moved after hearing about this, that they contacted those youth to create the International Day of Pink (www.dayofpink.org) in an effort to share this story and day of action with people all over the world.

The goal of the International Day of Pink (DayOfPink.org) is to bring the message that bullying, discrimination and homophobia can be stopped by working together. The organization encourages participating groups (schools, business & community organizations) to not only wear pink in support of Diversity, but also hold events and activities that will engage their community.

The International Day of Pink is also proud to offer free resources to help you promote the event, engage your community and make a difference.

Why this is important?

Across the world discrimination continues to be the leading source of conflict. Discrimination is racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, anti-Semitism....and many others. These social diseases affect how we work, study and treat one another; and they create barriers, bullying/ harassment and hate/violence. The Day of Pink is more than just a symbol of a shared belief in celebrating diversity, but also a commitment to being open minded, understanding of differences and learning to respect each other.

Who are the National Capital Region GSA Network & Jer¢s Vision (the organizations behind Day of Pink)?

The National Capital Region GSA Network, a Jer¢s Vision program, facilitates leaders from national capital region Gay-Straight Alliances, Diversity Clubs, and Student Councils to come together to discuss discrimination and plan activities to promote diversity.

Jer's Vision is Canada's national organization to support and encourage the work of youth to address discrimination in their schools and communities. Through art, community, education, youth initiatives, and partnerships with a variety of established national and community organizations, we provide youth with the tools and the resources to promote diversity and end discrimination of all kinds.

Jer¢s Vision runs over 40 initiatives, using the talents of 800 volunteers, and serving thousands of people annually. We are proud to have received awards from the Province of Ontario, City of Ottawa, Toronto Pride, and Do Something Inc.

For more information please contact: Jeremy Dias Executive Director http://www.jersvision.org http://www.dayofpink.org

The international Day of Pink (Feb 19, 2009) Sign Up & Win! We're giving away Sony Digital Cameras and other cool prizes www.dayofpink.org
Jer's Vision: Canada's Youth Diversity Initiative Promoting diversity and ending discrimination www.jersvision.org

Teri Jean
02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
We have a like celebration on my campus call cultural diversity day and there are so many different groups that are out in true form that day. This year I will be more in tune than in the past. Thank you for the post and I hope your day goes well. Keli

Karren H
02-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Oh how cool!!! I do have a really cute pink skirt that would be perfect!!! I can sure see why a bully would pick on some guy wearing a pink skirt.!! Probably borrowed his moms or his sisters pink skirt...

wish I could remember where I placed my glasses this morning..........

Yvettegrl
02-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the details. Pink's easy for an underdresser! My employer sponsers a diversity group. I'll have to see if they've picked up on this special day.

Yvette

battybattybats
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Even people deeply in the closet could probably support this publicly. If someone needs an excuse they probably have a gay relative or friend or relative of a friend. (and as CDs are about as common as Gays as far as the stats seem to say...)

And with the day not just about homophobia and transphobia but against all discrimination and against all bullying surely just about everyone here and their families could support this? Even from the darkest closet?

And underdressing doesn't count unless you have some pink on the outside too! The whole point is to show public support.

My pink dress isn't really out-and-about in style and I'm not very out yet, but I can go with pink nailpolish and eyeshadow as pink goes well with black :)

JoAnne Wheeler
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I will be wearing my PINK dress shirt and tie

JoAnne Wheeler