Thread: The Tenant

The Tenant

WOW!!!

I'm a big movie buff....i was recently watching an old Roman Polanski film called the "The Tenant"....it truly is a great movie and it has one of the most incredible haunting endings i've ever seen in a film....which i will NOT give away...except to say its a very european film (in english) and the film does not give the viewer easy answers....

if you havent seen it, its a movie basically about identity, and there are tg themes that are very central to the film..

at one point, the lead character is lying in the bed, drunk, talking to his girl....and he says. (paraphrased--cant remember it perfectly) ..."if i cut of my arm, i say there is my arm...if i cut the other arm off, i say there are my two arms...if i then cut off my leg, i say oh dear, there are my 2 arms and leg....even if i cut off my torso i'd say there is my torso....but if i cut off my head, what would i say???? would i say there is my head, or would i say there is body????, what right does my head have to say this is me?"
    the girl just laughed at him and thought he was crazy......

sound familiar?

pls pls somebody tell me they've seen this flick!!

how can you cut off your torso and not cut off your head at the same time?

i'll check it out, thanks for the heads up

Sorry michele,
    I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting,
    Is it playing at the theaters or is it out on DVD?

Karen

it's from 1976...so not in any theatres, but should be easy to find on dvd or netflix

its really an "art" film and is slow in spots...because its building up to its inevitable conclusion..

i just thought that a movie about a guy talking about how we define ourselves,and what makes up identity is worthy of consideration and really interesting..