Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shaving

Everytime I shave my legs I get unsightly red bumps on my legs afterwards. (Mostly on the front of the thighs) Same goes for waxing too. I get lots of ingrown hairs as well no matter what I do. I have no idea how to prevent getting them, I've used moisturizers and such but it doesnt seem to help. Is my skin just cursed for hair removal or something. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I love having shaved legs but I havn't shaved lately due to fear of the itchyness and irritation.
    Last edited by XxKatyxX; 02-15-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    -Katy

I just shaved mine for the first time and am having the same problem. I'm loving the smoothness too but I don't know what to do about the irritation.

Most of my redness has gone down now, it seemed very sore and red last night but much better now.

Bought some new tights and knee highs on the way home to celebrate, love how shiny they look now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aspiring Member
    I have said this before but I have shaved my legs daily for at least the last 7 years and wear shorts to school at least 1/2 of the school year. I get very few comments or questions from inquisitive high schoolers. I used to shave my chest and arms and underarms but for the last 9 months have been waxing them monthly. I think that within the next 6 months that most of the chest and arm hair will almost be gone. Yes, I shave other places but that is private!

The fear of shaving your legs is about the same as going out in public enfemme. Once you are out, it gets easier each time. People really don't care if you shave, if they do, they are concerned about other issues other than your hairless legs.

Anne Marie,

Nice legs!!! Definitively, your legs will "pass"

Perhaps my question was skipped over... I really would like to know how to prevent getting red bumps and irritation. The irritation lasts for about a week but alot of the red bumps stay and turn into ingrown hairs and don't go away unless I dig into my skin and tweeze them out but even then they usually turn into an ingrown hair again. It happens with hair removal cream as well and waxing, not just shaving. I use moisturizers etc. to help but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have this problem as well? I love having shaved legs but rarely do it for fear of the red bumps/ingrown hairs. I havn't shaved my legs for about 3 months and I still have red bumps/ingrown hairs!!! I hate it. Help me! Is it just me that has this ongoing problem?
    -Katy

Quote Originally Posted by XxKatyxX View Post
    Perhaps my question was skipped over... I really would like to know how to prevent getting red bumps and irritation. The irritation lasts for about a week but alot of the red bumps stay and turn into ingrown hairs and don't go away unless I dig into my skin and tweeze them out but even then they usually turn into an ingrown hair again. It happens with hair removal cream as well and waxing, not just shaving. I use moisturizers etc. to help but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have this problem as well? I love having shaved legs but rarely do it for fear of the red bumps/ingrown hairs. I havn't shaved my legs for about 3 months and I still have red bumps/ingrown hairs!!! I hate it. Help me! Is it just me that has this ongoing problem?
    I've been having the same problem. It seems to be getting better. I think its just the skin getting used to it.

I still have red bumps/ingrown hairs!!! I hate it. Help me! Is it just me that has this ongoing problem?
    Definitely not skipped over. I'm having the same problem. If you find any solutions or tips, be sure to let us know.

What does your wife say about shaving your legs ?

JoAnne Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnne Wheeler View Post
    What does your wife say about shaving your legs ?

JoAnne Wheeler
    My wife doesn't care for it, saying she prefers my hairy legs. But then again she really hasn't explored my shaved legs either, so I'm not giving her opinion much credence yet since her 'preference' may just be a gut reaction to change (I just started shaving everything below my waist about 48 hours ago).

If in the end she still hates it, I'll try to work out some sort of compromise (like, only during the Winter) since I'm finding out how great stockings feel on shaved legs, and I'm not sure if I can give that up.

I've been shaving my legs and underarms in the winter only for the last few years. I love having smooth legs!

I was going to try and keep the legs shaved year-round with the excuse that it's less irritating when I wear my fencing pants but most people know I don't fence as much as I used to.

I wear tank tops a lot in the summer so even if I did manage to keep my legs smooth I'd have to let my underarms grow in the spring and summer.

I've never had problems with bumps or irritation. It might be because I always rub lotion on my legs right after shaving. It keeps them nice and soft!

Btw...hi everyone. First post. I'm Lana. Been doing some extremely amateur crossdressing for many years now. I've been wanting to get more serious with it, though so I found this place and thought I might be able to get some good information from people who know what they're talking about. I'll probably be more of a lurker than a poster but you never know!

I've been shaving my legs for the last 9 yrs or so and nobody notices or at least don't say anything. Recently, I started getting ingrown hairs. I use a product called Johnson's No More Rash and it works quite well. Things clear up within a couple of days. Desitin is a simiar but more expensive product that should work equally as well.

I"M A CREAMER!!!!!

That's "CREAMER" not "SCREAMER"

I cream my legs instead of shaving(no nicks). Works great on the belly area too....
    Hugs,
    Tamera
    Please read this regarding personal information http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_personal_information

[SIZE="2"]"GENDER" is not whats between the "THIGHS", but whats between the "EARS".....[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Carola View Post
    I don't shave my body; just wax it. It looks better and last longer. The only problem specially around my stomach is that some growing hair remains beneath the skin and i have to "dig it out". Does anybody has the same problem?
    Everytime I shave my legs I get unsightly red bumps on my legs afterwards. (Mostly on the front of the thighs) Same goes for waxing too. I get lots of ingrown hairs as well no matter what I do. I have no idea how to prevent getting them, I've used moisturizers and such but it doesnt seem to help. Is my skin just cursed for hair removal or something. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I love having shaved legs but I havn't shaved lately due to fear of the itchyness and irritation.
    I have the same problem on my thighs - both front and back. I could dig out the ones on the front but the back of my thighs were too tough to reach. I searched and tried all sorts of stuff to stop it from happening. What I finally did was use fine-grit sandpaper (I used 320 grit but I read here that 400 grit or finer is preferred). I GENTLY rubbed it in small circular movements and it exfoliated the top layer of skin, exposed the ingrown hairs, and actually sanded them off as well. I also used it on my chest and stomach because it made my skin REALLY smooth but the next time I do my stomach, I'm going to try a finer-grit paper because the skin seems to be more sensitive than my legs and it looks like I had a slight sunburn. Afterwards, I shower and apply a generous amount of moisturizer (Gold Bond Medicated works really well to help the red bumps go away - either the Ultimate lotion with Shae Butter or the Extra Strength Body Lotion). Just don't go overboard and take off too much skin because I've read that your skin may grow back tougher than before which would probably make the ingrown hairs even worse.
    Last edited by Cassia-Marie; 02-19-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added Katy's quote
    I'm so far back in the closet that I'm finding Christmas presents!

"Women often don't seem to have a problem with us, as long as we're not romantically involved with them of course." - goofus

I used to always get the red bumps when shaving my legs and they would get very itchy which was incredibly uncomfortable unless I was wearing nylons. I finally discovered that all I needed to do was to moisturize the area I had shaved after shaving and no more bumps since then. As for shaving my legs - for years I was worried what people would think so only shaved in the winter when I could wear long pants. Finally this last year I just couldn't bring myself to let the hair grow through the summer and just started not worrying about it. To date nobody has ever made a comment or even given me an odd look when they see me with shaved legs. Now I've also been keeping my chest, arms, and pits shaved too and will see if I will let them grow back or just not worry about it.

If you keep your legs shaved all the time, your skin will acclimate and you will not have the problems with the bumps or ingrown hair (we all get one occasionally).

Use an electric razor to shave and you will have many fewer problems than you will with a blade, or with waxing.

Moisturize moisturize moisturize!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    If you keep your legs shaved all the time, your skin will acclimate and you will not have the problems with the bumps or ingrown hair (we all get one occasionally).

Moisturize moisturize moisturize!
    I was just about to say this. I read a long time ago when I started to shave the 'down there' area as my wife likes to call it that the more often you shave a specific area for longer periods of time the less issues you will have with it.

At first I shaved and got discourage because of all the ingrowns and red bumps so I would stop for months. Once I started shaving weekly things got better almost instantly. And as Hope said MOISTURIZE!

Oh, and xAnne_Mariex, very nice shiney legs ^_^
    Last edited by KristinSkye; 02-19-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I have a question while we're on the subject. I doubt my wife would much care if my legs were shaven, but I can work on that :P

To those of you who shave regularly, does anyone frequent the beach? During the long summers were I live I'm at the beach at least every other weekend. Have you ever had any gawkers or has anyone ever made a rude coment to you?

Kathryn Janos
    I have recently started to consider just keeping my legs hair-free for the summer and really all year round. I do wear shorts in the summer, but I've kinda stopped caring. In the last day or two, I've even considered that I may be moving towards TS, and I'm wondering if I wouldn't like to live more full-time. Of course, I gather that perhaps I should just try getting some street clothes and going out in the first place, but still...
    "Thoughts are the shadows of feelings, always darker, emptier, and simpler. I don't care if they're fake or real, I just thank them for showing up at all. I have black periods. Who does not? But they are part of me; they are not a part of illness, but a part of my being. What am I saying? I have the courage to have them. Four o' clock in the morning. This sucks." - Alkaline Trio - Warbrain (First line courtesy of Nietzsche)
    WARNING: Sarcasm, dry humor, witticisms, and a twisted sense of humor is likely to be present in this post. Please read accordingly. If you are uncertain of my intention, PM me before posting a hasty response that will only serve to embarrass you. If necessary, I will clarify the confusion.

I finally did it and I love it

Sisters,
    I have to admit that I have wanted to shave my legs for quite some time. I have shaved my pubic area for a while now, even have shaved my arm pits, even the hair around my belly button, but last weekend I finally shaved my legs and girls let me tell you it feels so good to wear nylons now with my legs shaved. I think I am going to keep them shaved all winter and I am not sure about this summer. The only thing left for me to shave is the little bit of hair on my chest, lol. Not sure my SO will be okay with that.
    trisha

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Evans View Post
    Have been shaving legs, arms, and under arms for some time now and I am now using an epilator.
    Me too. I definitely prefer an epilator over shaving. Although, I do continue to shave my underarms. I'm just a few strokes away from a full Brazilian and love the smooth hairless feeling, very feminine!!
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by xAnne_Mariex View Post
    Most of my redness has gone down now, it seemed very sore and red last night but much better now.

Bought some new tights and knee highs on the way home to celebrate, love how shiny they look now
    Thanks for sharing. A great example of the point that "Why would anyone NOT shave or epilate their excess body hair?" Smoth legs just look and FEEL so good!!
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by KristinSkye View Post
    I have a question while we're on the subject. I doubt my wife would much care if my legs were shaven, but I can work on that :P

To those of you who shave regularly, does anyone frequent the beach? During the long summers were I live I'm at the beach at least every other weekend. Have you ever had any gawkers or has anyone ever made a rude coment to you?
    No, hairless legs are no big deal any more. Unless of course you are in an area where you may hear banjos playing in the distance... Re: Deliverance
    Lori

I have been shaving my legs almost as long as my chin, and yes I did get some red bumps to start with. For me the solution is to shower or bath, use a good exfoliating soap, then the best razor you can afford, nad I don't mean the one use rubbish. I now use a Gillete Fusion power razor. Don't use the blade for anything else, certainly not your chin, rinse the legs well and after drying, moisturise, moisturise and moisturise again, and if you use a tinted moisturiser, you can build up a good colour. Having said all of that I am a recent convert to waxing, it lasts a couple of months, produces better smoother results, and theres no risk of cutting yourself, oh and it does not hurt, well not after the first time

Quote Originally Posted by LoriFlores View Post
    No, hairless legs are no big deal any more. Unless of course you are in an area where you may hear banjos playing in the distance... Re: Deliverance
    For me the main problem is that I'm very pale yet I have very dark hair. So the hair on my legs is much more noticeable than it probably would be if I were tanned or if my hair was lighter.

I think if I suddenly wore shorts with shaved legs everyone would notice it immediately.