Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting statistic

Thumbs up Interesting statistic

The alternative newspaper in my city (Milwaukee) takes an annual sex survey and releases the results in time for Valentines Day. It's not ascientific poll, just a summary of the responses to the questions they pose.

I found it interesting that 7 percent of the men and 4 percent of the women said they had crossdressed in the past year. Do you girls think this is a valid stat? This is a pretty conservative town.

That is ineresting I would be courious to see statistics for other touns also
    ""Some succeed because they are destined too, but most succeed because they are determined too.""

[SIZE="2"]Vicky[/SIZE]

my wife wears my socks, boxer's, sweats. sneakers. sweat shirts, sport shirts.

ok what can we learn from this, I am not the only cross dresser in the home. and wife and I are the same size that is Heaven on Earth-

I really believe woman are huge cross dressers and are NOT ever aware of it.

the 1st time i teased my wife she denied she cross dressed until i layed it on the line just as it is above.

we are working thru her urges.hehhehe

How did they word the question? Can you provide a link?

Of course I assume the sample is not random since it was limited to readers of an alternative paper. Still it is very interesting.

It would be good to get cross dressing questions included in large scientific surveys.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

I've heard that approx. 1 in 10 men either crossdress regularly or have in the past.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_crossdressing

I would say there's no such thing as women crossdressing since they get away with it, unless your talking flattened chest and facial hair

Maybe most of the respondents were really from Madison and not Milwaukee? Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_ann View Post
    I would say there's no such thing as women crossdressing since they get away with it, unless your talking flattened chest and facial hair
    I agree with Jo Ann, women can wear what ever they want and no one even cares. But yet men can't wear anything feminine with out being ridiculed. What is wrong with society?

Other than perhaps a jock strap, there is really nothing a woman can wear that anyone would notice that she is cross-dressing. It is socially acceptable, even sexy, for women to wear traditionally men's clothes, and a lot of women buy some of their clothes regularly from the men's departments.

As for the statistics, I think the number is higher than that, even in Milwaukee. I don't believe the incidence is any lower at all in 'conservative areas'. Perhaps even higher as any type of expression is more repressed. But the numbers are low as many men who do it don't want to take even the remotest risk of being caught, even including someone else potentially seeing their survey before it is actually submitted. Also, so many crossdressers are so repressed that they can't admit it even to themselves that they do it, seeing it as some kind of phase that will pass or something. It would be a nearly impossible survey to get any accurate results with.

Seems to confirm most reported statistics.

[SIZE=4]It's impossible to know how many people crossdress (MTF or FTM). However, I would be skeptical of a survey in an "alternative" newspaper (or any newspaper). In fact I am so skeptical, I would not even believe a "scientific" survey. The only way that anyone could ever know how many crossdressers there are is to spy on every house across the world, or at least enough to get a reliable sample. I think this site is enough to convince me that there a plenty of us, regardless of any survey.[/SIZE]

Duh. It's an alternative lifestyle newspaper. You're going to have alternative lifestyle responses.

I've heard that approx. 1 in 10 men either crossdress regularly or have in the past.
    the link you posted reads this: "It has been estimated that in the U.S. between 1 in 100 and 1 in 10 men are crossdressers". You conveniently eliminated the part about 'between 1 in 100'.
    Most random surveys come up with about 2.5% of men actively crossdress, and it doesn't always specify what percentage of that are gay. But when it does, about 80% claim to be heterosexual, so that leaves about 2% heterosexual crossdressers among the general population. This subject has been done to death.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 02-13-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: More info
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

An alternative newspaper will attract readers with a more 'alternative' lifestyle. A poll asking about sex habits will attract the more adventurist of that group. The results then are far from scientific and most likely skewed toward a higher number of people who crossdress.
    None the less it is an interesting poll and shows that there are a bunch of us out there.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle S View Post
    How did they word the question? Can you provide a link?

Of course I assume the sample is not random since it was limited to readers of an alternative paper. Still it is very interesting.

It would be good to get cross dressing questions included in large scientific surveys.
    I'm interested too and agree that it would be good to get cross dressing included in large scientific surveys.
    I think that the percentages are low, and for women, I think that the percentages should be much higher IF we consider jeans and Ts typical male clothing. But there's more to cross dressing than just the clothes.
    warmly, Linnea

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Who knows, who cares!?

When 70% of the male population of Whoville say they CD, THEN, I'll pay attention!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

If one persom says they did something there's at least one other that did but won't say so.
    Angie

Those are the people who willfully admitted to crossdressing. I would say it a bit more than that.

First, as others have said, the results are skewed because it is an alternative newspaper which would attract more of those like us. Secondly, a secret such as ours is hard to pin down number-wise because many are so deeply closeted that only they know and they're not about to tell anyone!
    Besides, I don't know if I would feel so special if everybody CD'ed. I know I would keep doing it, but I wouldn't feel so special -- so much a part of a special group of people, a member of the sisterhood.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Web search returned the following "http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/flex-107-sexsurvey.html".

Margo
    Margo

Quote Originally Posted by MargoLE View Post
    Web search returned the following "http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/flex-107-sexsurvey.html"
    The survey is closed and the results published here:
    http://www.npaper-wehaa.com/shepherdexpress#c-151847
    (you need Javascript enabled to view the article).

In addition to the 7% men / 4% women who admit to crossdressing, another surprising statistic (skewed, of course, by the sample set of subscribers to an alternative paper) was the 18% men who have participated in same-sex oral sex... surpristing because only 10% identify as bisexual and 6% as homosexual. So somewhere in Milwaukee 2% of the male population identify themselves as hetero but still engage in oral sex with other men.

That, as much as anything else, tells us that survey statistics, particularly from an informal survey without any effort at rigorous test controls, are about as meaningful as a fortune cookie or horoscope.

ralph the skeptic

Milwaukee is hardly Conservative

I live there, and from what I know of the Shepperd Express, a roll of toilet paper has more facts than that "paper". Any city that has a common council that approves mandated sick days for PRIVATE EMPLOYERS is hardly conservative. Now, compared to Madison (affectionately known out here as the Moscow of the Midwest) perhaps Milwaukee looks a bit more conservative.

this could be interesting.

Due to many of the previous threads it seems that a womman can wear pretty much anything and not be classed as a cross dresser.

Does this mean that 4% of the woman walk around with a moustache at some point?
    Out'a my mind
    back in 5 minutes
    leave a message!!

Sarah, I know of one, who dresses as a man, and has had a dark mustache, for decades, but, no one says anything.

I don't care what the percentage is, it's just nice to know there are plenty of us out there. AND, we are so cordial to one another.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    another surprising statistic (skewed, of course, by the sample set of subscribers to an alternative paper) was the 18% men who have participated in same-sex oral sex... surpristing because only 10% identify as bisexual and 6% as homosexual. So somewhere in Milwaukee 2% of the male population identify themselves as hetero but still engage in oral sex with other men.
    Yep, it's an interesting phenomenon. They are commonly referred to as MSM or Men who have Sex with Men.