Thread: International Cross-Dressing

International Cross-Dressing

I've been curious for awhile about this. I eventually want to move out of the united states, and I wonder; are CDs who live in other countries generally accepted more in public than in this melting pot of religious nut-jobs and hate-monger conservatives?

I don't mean to offend the religious people in here, because you're most likely not a nut-job seeing as you accepted yourself as a CD, TV, TS, or TG

tl;dr America Vs The World
    - Executive Transvestite

There is a poem by Carl Sandburg about a man that lives in a western town. Strangers passing through ask him what kind of people live in town. He replies by asking what kind of people lived in whatever town the stranger came from. However the stranger described the people from his old home town, the man from the western town would tell him that is the kind of people to be found in the western town as well. The point being it's not how others are, it's how the individual perceives others that matters most. Herein lies a secret of life.

I think we would have to avoid all places that have too many "religious nut-jobs and hate-monger conservatives". Best to avoid all areas of religious extremism. For example, imagine ending up in a Taliban controlled area.

Although, it might be hard to tell, maybe some of those folks sporting burkas are really CDs I could strut down the street at high noon in my most titillating lingerie while covered in a burka.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Sue View Post
    The point being it's not how others are, it's how the individual perceives others that matters most. Herein lies a secret of life.
    Very true..

It's also wise not to generalise, either about the US, or other countries?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

I'm not really trying to generalize in a sense that every person in america falls into this category, but there is truth in America's infamy for being mainly populated with people who, because of religious and conservative backgrounds, can't cope with or tolerate the alternative lifestyles that described in the bible. I know that places like the United Kingdom have legalized Gay marriage (Elton John and his partner to be the first to receive the union); so are places like the UK more accepting of a CD strolling down the street in broad daylight? How about France, or Sweden, or Australia, or South Africa?
    - Executive Transvestite

I think regardless of where your gonna go your gonna have the same groups of people who'll look down on you. Personally America is pretty accepting i have a dear friend who lives out in the middle of no where west Virginia and is more accepting than most liberals i've meet.

some cultures have a different view on CDing, like in japan there was a TV show that would make up guys, who wrote to the show and there are lots of guys who just randomly CD in on TV but most Japanese still find it a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Omjessi View Post
    are CDs who live in other countries generally accepted more in public than in this melting pot of religious nut-jobs and hate-monger conservatives?
    I always love to hear from people like yourself who are so open minded, completely lacking in biases and stereotypes.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

While I would love to think that there is a place where a girl can be the girl she wants to be, I have yet to find that perfect place
    But SanFrancisco has its merits as does Ithaca NY, or so i have heard
    and Oregon has a CD mayor... so one must find the right spot.
    London England has a busy transgender group but it is a huge city.
    Oh, and in Iran, a Fatwa has been declared permitting transgendered individuals to seek GRS..
    In each place there is a little more light.... we just need to keep the energy on the right track...

Banned Read only
    this melting pot of religious nut-jobs and hate-monger conservatives?

Maybe I'll move to your neighborhood. Mine looks like a melting pot of illegal aliens... oops, I mean, undocumented job-seekers... ...crack dealers, and Third World refugees. Want to swap houses?

Didn't think so.

I would say the any country that is not Muslim contolled, would all be about the same - maybe a little better in the Norwegian countries

JoAnne Wheeler

I've lived in 5 different countries and worked or spent significant time in at least 20 others. It's a little bit of a stereotype to think that the rest of the world is more accepting. It varies from point to point in many countries.

Most accepting cities I have ever been to:

Amsterdam, San Francisco, Province Town

Close seconds:
    NYC, New Orleans, London, Tokyo, Chicago. Key West

That being said, I've probably been out dressed in about 1/3 of the states in the US. The worst scene I've ever encountered was two idiots on a subway in NYC, and three idiots on a street in Honolulu.

I've been warned not to go out dressed in parts of the Netherlands but never had the reason to test this theory.

I do have to agree though that I see more idiots in the religious parts of the world. Avoiding immature, religious zealots is a good idea for anyone in this world.

Just to be clear

I was using the adjective to describe a specific group within another group. If I wanted to call all conservatives hate-mongers, I would have said hate-mongers a.k.a. conservatives. Same goes for the religious people. I have mostly no problem with religious people, but the religious nut-jobs that fund things like prop 8 instead of trying to rebuild our economy are absolutely despicable.

What's that? No energy policy? Well, we're worried about gays getting married. Global warming and dependencies on foreign oil can wait.
    - Executive Transvestite

Banned Read only

What's that? No energy policy? Well, we're worried about gays getting married. Global warming and dependencies on foreign oil can wait.

I don't think you can blame our piss-poor energy policy on religious wingnuts. Those wingnuts are mostly harmless, anyway, because just like their liberal wingnut counterparts, they're ruled by emotion rather than logic.

There are people who put solar panels on their houses. There are other people who demand that government do it for them. Guess which are making the impact?

I've thought of a response, but it will only lead to further conversation unrelated to the original topic of if the united states is as good as it gets for us, or the america CD population is missing out on a party across the sea, or even across the boarder.
    - Executive Transvestite

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar

In South Africa

South Africa, I suspect, is like most other places. It depends on where you are. I can only speak for where I live but I have been out in daylight (I am not into clubbing) a few times with varying reactions. I had one very positive reaction which I wrote about here and a few neutral responses. Unfortunately any form of cross dressing is seen by the media as drag and the tone of reports tends to be derisive. The exception is a comedian called Pieter Dirk Uys who's main character is Evita Bezuidenhout. Evita came out strongly against the apartheid regime using wit to mock various leaders. She is still strong in the new South Africa, speaking out at perceived injustices. She is such a strong person that I think many regard her as a real.
    Well, that's my view, I would love to hear from any other South Africans though.

Edwina

Sorry, but don't get all political on us. There are plenty of so-called liberals that are against gay marriage, lesbians, and TS/CDers, and are hate-mongers in their own right.

In re. to other countries, I have lived in the UK before. I think the Scandinavian countries are pretty tolerant, as are the people in the Netherlands, along with a few more. The UK is ok, but only slightly better than the US.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
    - Dolly Parton

Saying

Here is a saying for you... the grass is always greener....!! You will get idiots everywhere. Just as many here in OZ as you have in America. Part of life unfortunately!!!
    IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT!!

Oh Canada

Come to Canada...we accept everyone. We need the tax dollars.

I corresponded for a while with a CD from India and she said getting caught would be very dangerous.

Vieja

Dressed to please someone

No Eldorado in Finland, either

Finland is not very tolerable, we have our own religious extremitists and heeps of different kinds of (***)holes. However it is quite unusual to get physical violence.

And on the other hand a vicar who has jus recently announced (s)he's transsexual has received quite much support and positive publicity - among the hostile comments by our sweet extremetists.

Our neighbour Sweden seems to be much more tolerable for us.